SP - General Early Access = Exhausting Alpha

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonerstorm

Genghis Khan't
Sergeant
I want to be as respectful as I can to the devs. I really love a lot of the new features in Bannerlord like the army formation mechanic and the fact that the AI doesn't cheat (much). I kinda don't give an eff consciosly that the game looks gorgeous because I have no taste, but maybe my lizard brain likes it.

But damn is pretty much everything but the combat broken as all hell in this goat rodeo. I understand that the devs have game-breaking crashes to fix first but damn does it annoy me that my #1 gripe isn't even on the Known Issues list.

So here are my observations of everything that's completely broken and bugging me - not in like a "tee hee we made a whoopsie" way but in a "this has clearly undergone no playtesting at all." These are just my gripes and I'm not knocking the game. Just venting my frustration and warning other players so you don't get blindsided.

1) Personality traits are bugged so that any increase to them actually resets your levels to zero:

I'm not kidding. This is a real thing. I used console cheats to give me my damn personality traits back and then, after earning towards increasing any of them, they'd immediately disappear.

2) Towns starve with maddening speed:

There's something janky about the market mechanics where the slightest whiff of war will send prosperous towns into a starvation death spiral which will annihilate your garrison (as in your actual owned units, not to mention militia troops). There's no way to prevent this (by, say, loading up your stash with grain).

3) Every war quickly descends into endless stupid doomstacks of recruits:

The AI lords almost never tactically retreat, absolutely never sacrifice soldiers to retreat, get into way too many fights they obviously can't win and can't negotiate for their own release. They also escape from parties and dungeons with ridiculous speed: I've had lords escape from dungeons literally the day after I capped them. There's no actually working mechanic for training, so it seems the only way for them to level troops is to win stupid 50-50 fights which kill 80% of their armies anyway. Add to that the fact that autobattle kills Tier 4-6 troops at seemingly the same rate as regulars. Also, on paper, Medicine does basically nothing (I'm not sure about that though because I've seen solid survival rates though it might just be my mind).

4) Some skills are effectively impossible to level, which can make it impossible to level the character or companions for more focus/ability points:

I'm looking squarely at leadership and engineering and combat skills. I made the apparently boneheaded mistake of putting points into Leadership, One-handed, Polearm and Engineering and Trade at character creation... which mean that I can't level combat beyond peaseant-level without getting into bazillions of life-or-death fights and getting more confirmed kills than Chris Kyle dozens of times over. There is no training mechanic so your only option is to dive headlong into grinding stupid.

I also can't level Leadership despite keeping Morale sky-high all the time (which is also partly impossible when you don't have the Leadership morale bonus to begin with) or leading massive armies for weeks on end. And when I say "leading armies" I mean the army mechanic you have to be in a kingdom to use - not simply having a large party, which makes it impossible to level early on, which is maddening since I had hundreds of points of learning limit from having 5 focus points in there from my first couple levels. You can't level Engineering without being in more sieges than Alexander the Great and there's no scenario where catapults etc are viable unless you've whittled down an enemy nation to 1 stronghold + you have a couple weeks to kill with nothing better to do - if you do... congratulations you got like 2 Eng points.

Fun fact: It's not worth getting a surgeon if your learning limit is over 80. All of the medic companions I've found have had like 0-2 intelligence, so it's impossible to level them beyond that. WTF? Why can't we get good medics and train them up?

And Trade... good God Trade... I wish I spent a couple in-game years leveling this crap skill before going Noble. There's literally no way to level it at all except by buying low and selling high while NOT SAVING AND LOADING EVER. Yes. Save/load resets your "price bought" level every single time - so you have to go directly from town to town buying and selling crap and hope to God there's nothing distracting you while you grind. This has happened other times too and I don't know what triggers it. The only times where I've leveled it well have been when I've bought thousands of cheap goods at rock-bottom prices and immediately sold them at sky-high prices - because only the cheap goods maintain their pricing when you start selling them. I've never leveled Trading while selling Velvet, Silver, Jewelry etc. - only with grain, cotton and flax. No matter how in-demand expensive goods are or how long the shortage has been, selling 1 piece drops the price ridiculously. And, again, you can't save or load or adjust your scarf or the profit calculation resets. And, because it all depends on profit, your trade penalty from having low skill makes it harder to level the skill up.

And don't get me started on Smithing. The only way to level up Ira (the way her stats are laid out make it impossible for her to get enough skill ups to level) is to grind Smithing - it's the only skill where she has enough learning limit to trigger a level-up. Apparently even with the exhaustion mechanic modded out, people report spending multiple in-game hours leveling this trash thing... and even at max level you don't have access to half of the options. WITH the mechanic still in... you're looking at spending massive numbers of in-game years on this trash. Empires are formed and die in the time it takes to git gud at making a pointy stick. That may be sort of realistic but we didn't pay $50 for a farming simulator.

5) Inheritance mechanics make me cry tears of blood:

So Rhagaea is looking for a husband for Ira to continue her dynasty and rule the Empire blah blah blah? Nope. As soon as you marry a member of a ruling clan, that member leaves that clan and joins yours and becomes ineligible for succession. I used console commands to kill Rhagaea, then every single member of the Pethros Clan and then every single noble in the Southern Empire... and neither I nor Ira inherited jack. Apparently on ruling clan death the clan with the highest influence takes over... as long as that clan isn't yours. When you kill everybody, then apparently one of the dead nobles gets appointed faction leader anyway and it seems even dead clans still get to vote in kingdom debates.

WHY? I mean seriously... if you can start your own kingdom, why can't you inherit one even as a Tier 4-5 clan with the highest influence? If the tier 3 AI clans can inherit, why can't you if you're married to the EMPEROR'S DAUGHTER?

Last edited:
Yes. Save/load resets your "price bought" level every single time - so you have to go directly from town to town buying and selling crap and hope to God there's nothing distracting you while you grind.
Oooooohhhh.. So thats why i have 19 trade and never can grow it even with 5 focus points on it XD

1) Personality traits are bugged so that any increase to them actually resets your levels to zero:

I'm not kidding. This is a real thing. I used console cheats to give me my damn personality traits back and then, after earning towards increasing any of them, they'd immediately disappear.

and I thought my personality traits would disappear because I do bad things (e.g. sell prisoners) ^^ good to know

something else :
1. there is almost no good loot no matter how hard or big the battle was
2. if i have 5 focus points in 1hand and in 2hand, 1hand is at 150 and 2hand at 30 .......why do i have the same xp rate for both skills?

Last edited:
Outside of scumy AAA publishers, who sell early access as a headstart, it is indeed way before the beta phase. So your title is correct.

Hi, just wanted to start and say I like your name, it made me giggle quite badly, hahah. And also that I agree. Right now, the Steam discussions are essentially aflame with white knights screeching "IT'S EARLY ACCESS YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE" ad infinitum. It seems TW is more keen on bowing down to the whims of greasy Youtubers than listening to bug reports instead of useful criticism. I don't think fixing perks should take that long, at least not the simple ones.

I had a companion with zero in EVERYTHING, she didn't even get any focus points to start with. She was a trainwreck and on top of that, had NEGATIVE level up progress. It was -120. So she needed about 150 skillups to even get ONE focus point.

Hi, just wanted to start and say I like your name, it made me giggle quite badly, hahah. And also that I agree. Right now, the Steam discussions are essentially aflame with white knights screeching "IT'S EARLY ACCESS YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE" ad infinitum. It seems TW is more keen on bowing down to the whims of greasy Youtubers than listening to bug reports instead of useful criticism. I don't think fixing perks should take that long, at least not the simple ones.

I had a companion with zero in EVERYTHING, she didn't even get any focus points to start with. She was a trainwreck and on top of that, had NEGATIVE level up progress. It was -120. So she needed about 150 skillups to even get ONE focus point.

Haha I stole the name from David Wong's "John Dies at the End." He used to be funny before he ran Cracked into the ground. The joke was buying those little heart stickers donating to children's hospitals at restaurants and signing it "Thong Bonerstorm."

I'm not as harsh on the devs as you are... but then again I don't know what screeching YT people are saying. From what I see in the changelog and people who are actually talking to the devs, they are literally 100% focused on fixing engine issues with crashes and memory leaks and 10fps framerate lag in offline singleplayer.

That's apparently extremely time-consuming which is why they aren't fixing the relatively easy-to-fix broken mechanics that modders are patching over in a matter of days or hours.

My beef is that this was basically sold as a paid beta but it's actually a paid alpha. With any amount of playtesting, they could have identified how the campaign mechanics are broken and patched them before release... or at least put them on a roadmap or known issues list.

I haven't ragequit yet, though. I am grateful that I got my butterlord even if I have to use console cheats to make it playable as a game rather than as a bug farming simulator.

I want to be as respectful as I can to the devs. I really love a lot of the new features in Bannerlord like the army formation mechanic and the fact that the AI doesn't cheat (much). I kinda don't give an eff consciosly that the game looks gorgeous because I have no taste, but maybe my lizard brain likes it.

But damn is pretty much everything but the combat broken as all hell in this goat rodeo. I understand that the devs have game-breaking crashes to fix first but damn does it annoy me that my #1 gripe isn't even on the Known Issues list.

So here are my observations of everything that's completely broken and bugging me - not in like a "tee hee we made a whoopsie" way but in a "this has clearly undergone no playtesting at all." These are just my gripes and I'm not knocking the game. Just venting my frustration and warning other players so you don't get blindsided.

2) Towns starve with maddening speed:

There's something janky about the market mechanics where the slightest whiff of war will send prosperous towns into a starvation death spiral which will annihilate your garrison (as in your actual owned units, not to mention militia troops). There's no way to prevent this (by, say, loading up your stash with grain).

The AI lords almost never tactically retreat, absolutely never sacrifice soldiers to retreat, get into way too many fights they obviously can't win and can't negotiate for their own release. They also escape from parties and dungeons with ridiculous speed: I've had lords escape from dungeons literally the day after I capped them. There's no actually working mechanic for training, so it seems the only way for them to level troops is to win stupid 50-50 fights which kill 80% of their armies anyway. Add to that the fact that autobattle kills Tier 4-6 troops at seemingly the same rate as regulars. Also, on paper, Medicine does basically nothing (I'm not sure about that though because I've seen solid survival rates though it might just be my mind).

4) Some skills are effectively impossible to level, which can make it impossible to level the character or companions for more focus/ability points:

I'm looking squarely at leadership and engineering and combat skills. I made the apparently boneheaded mistake of putting points into Leadership, One-handed, Polearm and Engineering and Trade at character creation... which mean that I can't level combat beyond peaseant-level without getting into bazillions of life-or-death fights and getting more confirmed kills than Chris Kyle dozens of times over. There is no training mechanic so your only option is to dive headlong into grinding stupid.

I also can't level Leadership despite keeping Morale sky-high all the time (which is also partly impossible when you don't have the Leadership morale bonus to begin with) or leading massive armies for weeks on end. And when I say "leading armies" I mean the army mechanic you have to be in a kingdom to use - not simply having a large party, which makes it impossible to level early on, which is maddening since I had hundreds of points of learning limit from having 5 focus points in there from my first couple levels. You can't level Engineering without being in more sieges than Alexander the Great and there's no scenario where catapults etc are viable unless you've whittled down an enemy nation to 1 stronghold + you have a couple weeks to kill with nothing better to do - if you do... congratulations you got like 2 Eng points.

Fun fact: It's not worth getting a surgeon if your learning limit is over 80. All of the medic companions I've found have had like 0-2 intelligence, so it's impossible to level them beyond that. WTF? Why can't we get good medics and train them up?

And Trade... good God Trade... I wish I spent a couple in-game years leveling this crap skill before going Noble. There's literally no way to level it at all except by buying low and selling high while NOT SAVING AND LOADING EVER. Yes. Save/load resets your "price bought" level every single time - so you have to go directly from town to town buying and selling crap and hope to God there's nothing distracting you while you grind. This has happened other times too and I don't know what triggers it. The only times where I've leveled it well have been when I've bought thousands of cheap goods at rock-bottom prices and immediately sold them at sky-high prices - because only the cheap goods maintain their pricing when you start selling them. I've never leveled Trading while selling Velvet, Silver, Jewelry etc. - only with grain, cotton and flax. No matter how in-demand expensive goods are or how long the shortage has been, selling 1 piece drops the price ridiculously. And, again, you can't save or load or adjust your scarf or the profit calculation resets. And, because it all depends on profit, your trade penalty from having low skill makes it harder to level the skill up.

And don't get me started on Smithing. The only way to level up Ira (the way her stats are laid out make it impossible for her to get enough skill ups to level) is to grind Smithing - it's the only skill where she has enough learning limit to trigger a level-up. Apparently even with the exhaustion mechanic modded out, people report spending multiple in-game hours leveling this trash thing... and even at max level you don't have access to half of the options. WITH the mechanic still in... you're looking at spending massive numbers of in-game years on this trash. Empires are formed and die in the time it takes to git gud at making a pointy stick. That may be sort of realistic but we didn't pay $50 for a farming simulator.

5) Inheritance mechanics make me cry tears of blood:

So Rhagaea is looking for a husband for Ira to continue her dynasty and rule the Empire blah blah blah? Nope. As soon as you marry a member of a ruling clan, that member leaves that clan and joins yours and becomes ineligible for succession. I used console commands to kill Rhagaea, then every single member of the Pethros Clan and then every single noble in the Southern Empire... and neither I nor Ira inherited jack. Apparently on ruling clan death the clan with the highest influence takes over... as long as that clan isn't yours. When you kill everybody, then apparently one of the dead nobles gets appointed faction leader anyway and it seems even dead clans still get to vote in kingdom debates.

WHY? I mean seriously... if you can start your own kingdom, why can't you inherit one even as a Tier 4-5 clan with the highest influence? If the tier 3 AI clans can inherit, why can't you if you're married to the EMPEROR'S DAUGHTER?
on point, you've brought up most of my own gripes, but I've talked about every single one of these points in a scatter... Trying to compile a single feedback post, but I keep forgetting what I was going to say. It's in the feedback section if you're curious, though.

In fact, this post should be pinned.

Haha I stole the name from David Wong's "John Dies at the End." He used to be funny before he ran Cracked into the ground. The joke was buying those little heart stickers donating to children's hospitals at restaurants and signing it "Thong Bonerstorm."

I'm not as harsh on the devs as you are... but then again I don't know what screeching YT people are saying. From what I see in the changelog and people who are actually talking to the devs, they are literally 100% focused on fixing engine issues with crashes and memory leaks and 10fps framerate lag in offline singleplayer.

That's apparently extremely time-consuming which is why they aren't fixing the relatively easy-to-fix broken mechanics that modders are patching over in a matter of days or hours.

My beef is that this was basically sold as a paid beta but it's actually a paid alpha. With any amount of playtesting, they could have identified how the campaign mechanics are broken and patched them before release... or at least put them on a roadmap or known issues list.

I haven't ragequit yet, though. I am grateful that I got my butterlord even if I have to use console cheats to make it playable as a game rather than as a bug farming simulator.

You are completely right, I'm maybe a bit too harsh. At least I'm aware of that myself, right? The bottom line is that me, you and even all the white knights (that I hate) want the game to be more complete. But it sadly won't happen in a day. I'm sad that that's the case. Maybe even a little angry. Then again, the early access makes sense, they can collect some money which could work as incentive to keep up the good work.

I hope that the fixes that we want are just around the corner, I think the ones you mentioned are very important too. I personally just want perks to be fixed, because now I don't feel like levelling up my guy at all. Who wants to unlock something that potentially might not work? Or it might not work as intended.

and I thought my personality traits would disappear because I do bad things (e.g. sell prisoners) ^^ good to know

something else :
1. there is almost no good loot no matter how hard or big the battle was
2. if i have 5 focus points in 1hand and in 2hand, 1hand is at 150 and 2hand at 30 .......why do i have the same xp rate for both skills?

Yeah the system is arcane and it's unclear exactly what screw things up. Possibly multiple things. I'm new so I'm not allowed to post links but you can google "working traits mod" to see a list of the mechanics as they exist in the code.

From my experience playing the mofo, it is impossible to gain a trait at all in-game without console cheats. What the mod I referenced does apparently is just keep the original one you got from character creation and keep it. It's not clear whether it allows you to earn one.

Apparently:
Honor is supposed to be earned by completing quests and is lost by either failing quests or betraying questgivers. Also executing a noble loses honor equivalent to failing 20-50 quests.
Mercy is lost by raiding villages or taking the violent option in specific quests. It is only gained by succeeding at the nonviolent option in specific quests.
Generosity is supposed to be gained by feeding your troops well and lost by starving them.
Calculating is supposed to be raised by persuading nobles to defect or freeing them from enemy captivity. There doesn't appear to be a mechanic for losing it.
Valor is SUPPOSED to be gained by contributing personally in battles and lost in sacrificing troops. Apparently it's so buggy the modder still has no idea how to fix it.

I've done tons of these things and the ONLY thing that gave me a trait was executing nobles. I ganked 2 of them and had to gank a third before I got the "Dishonorable" trait.

It's unclear but apparently the thresholds for changing trait values are absurdly high, meaning you'd have to find and grind the same mission for hours in order to have any effect on your personality traits. I've been in a bazillion battles and never sacrificed troops and I still haven't gained valor. And I definitely haven't gained calculating back after freeing several captured nobles and convincing nobles to defect a dozen times.

I mean just generally the leveling system is far too grindy and ridiculous.

And when I say "ridiculous" I mean seriously FFS why can I level a troop from recruit to T6 in a matter of weeks but I'm stuck for an in-game year going from level 16 to 17. This is something that bugged me in Warband and is way WAY worse in Bannerlord.

I mean just generally the leveling system is far too grindy and ridiculous.

And when I say "ridiculous" I mean seriously FFS why can I level a troop from recruit to T6 in a matter of weeks but I'm stuck for an in-game year going from level 16 to 17. This is something that bugged me in Warband and is way WAY worse in Bannerlord.
To lvl up you need to grind so skills that are very low.

But dont worry - most of them do nothing or just dont work.

This is being actively worked on and should be in the next patch for the beta version in about 2-3 days

???? Trade is easy though, one of my characters are at 240 right now, no mods.
Edit: Also I don't even focus on leveling it up, it just happens when you make good trades ?‍♂️

This is being actively worked on and should be in the next patch for the beta version in about 2-3 days
And the white knights arrive!

Yeah that's cool. I'm still waiting for "The entire personality trait system doesn't work" to even be added to the Known Issues list, though.

No dev has to give me their time. I've already said that I appreciate the fact that they're working on engine fixes.

I'm still frustrated, though. That frustration is grounded in fact: that I spent $50 for a game billed as a beta but it's actually an alpha. And no amount of white knighting is going to make sucky parts of the game suck less.

???? Trade is easy though, one of my characters are at 240 right now, no mods.
Edit: Also I don't even focus on leveling it up, it just happens when you make good trades ?‍♂️
Except if you ever save and reload... or any other thing that resets the price log.

Also it isn't practical to go around buying and selling things if you rushed renown and you're at war and you have a fief that needs defending.

Also why would I go around buying and selling things like a fool to begin with when just having 1 high-trade Aserai party member caravan breaks the gold game giving 3kgp a day?

What? Are you just spending hundreds of hours grinding looters and buying/selling like a bot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Obviusly you dont know what a early alpha is

The combat is beta. The campaign is alpha. No Q/A could miss the fact that basic aspects of the campaign are broken.

Some are broken enough that they shouldn't have been implemented at all. For instance, they should have just turned off personality trait changes completely and made player personality static from character creation once they realized any change to personality would reset the trait to zero.

These are things that modders are patching within days of release. That's pretty pathetic.

It would have been nice if the devs had a roadmap which clearly laid out which features, like working dynastic succession, are not implemented. The game journos obviously haven't a clue what's actually in the game given what they've read off of marketing materials. Everyone playing is figuring out what isn't in the game by trial and error.

Seriously I've played mods with better warning of things like "The plot stops at X mission BTW, we're working on the next in the chain" than this. I remember the days when games came with manuals which spelled out what the features of the game were instead of having to comb through Reddit to find "Oh that's bugged" or "Oh that's not implemented" buried amidst reams of white knights saying "Oh no! That's not a bug. The game sucking is just WAI."

That's listed in the early access description.
Pics or it didn't happen. That sure as s*** ain't on the Steam store page.

I agree, somethings are just so bad that makes me question, "why do you need players to test something like this".

For example the recent Caravan nerf,

Made bandits/minor clans attack caravans> Caravans go extinct or >Caravans survive but too many prisoners and cant move> Gets sniped by bandits eventually> days later patch comes out that allows Caravans to ransom prisoners.

Like what Caravans werent even able to ransom prisoners before this patch and it wasn't even considered when they were planning it? They could save a whole lot of manpower and our stress by just doing cause and effect analysis, the 5 why's detailing what could happen if the patch were to go live.

They didn't need players to report that caravans would go extinct. It was something you could infer based on how the game is, with bandits spawning like roaches everywhere.

Pics or it didn't happen. That sure as s*** ain't on the Steam store page.
WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:
Why Early Access?
“Early access is something that we are very familiar with: our first title, Mount & Blade, helped to pioneer this method of release back in 2005. By working alongside our community we were able to deliver a unique gaming experience that players still enjoy to this day. These past experiences have taught us that it is vital to bring players in to help us iron out any issues and refine the game by utilizing feedback to bring it to the level that both our community and we expect.

We are hoping to run a productive and efficient early access for M&B Bannerlord as well. However, due to the nature and scale of game that we have envisioned, there may be various problems or missing features and content during the course of early access. Here are a few aspects you may need to know:

Unique Maps for Towns, Castles and Village: Although we plan to create unique maps for every town and castle in the game, it is a rather arduous process to create that many well designed maps and as such, different locations may share the same map during early access.

Quest Content: A portion of planned quests may be missing entirely, and those in the game may be using placeholder maps, animations, etc.

Balancing: Various aspects of the game may be poorly balanced. Parts of the game may be too easy or too hard.

Voice overs: Since the game uses a lot of dynamic text and hundreds of NPCs, we are planning to record voice-overs for only a limited subset of the dialog (greetings, companion introductions and main quest). Some of these planned voice overs may be missing or using placeholder versions during EA.

Savegames: We will strive to keep savegame compatibility during EA, however it may be technically infeasible to provide 100% backward compatibility in savegames and you may occasionally have to start a new game after updating to a new version.

Bugs and glitches: Although we strive to create a stable game experience, the game will be actively developed during early access and hence there will be a greater chance of bugs and glitches creeping up. It will of course be a priority to fix these.

Localization: Our current plan is to localize the game into the following languages: French, Italian, German, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish (Latin American) and Turkish. Other languages may be added later. During EA, localizations for these languages may be missing entirely or may be incomplete.

Multiplayer modes and features: The game currently supports several popular multiplayer modes, but we are planning to add more modes and features, possibly including ranked matchmaking.

Singleplayer Features: Several planned single player features may be missing or incomplete. These include but are not limited to: full game controller support, some skill and perk effects, crafting, some aspects of sieges, and clan, army and kingdom management.

Developing M&B Bannerlord has been, and continues to be a fabulous experience for us, and we are excited to be walking the final phase of this journey together with our players. Of course, you may prefer to wait a little bit longer and hold off until the final, finished product. In this case, please consider adding the game to your wishlist and you’ll receive an email when we release the full version.”

It isn't a screenshot but will this suffice lol? Copy/Paste straight from the steam page.

I think most people were in such a hurry to buy it that they didn't even bother reading the full details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom