e1.8.0 Troop & Item Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

@Dejan : Can anybody from the Bannerlord development team comment on why the top tier troops FREQUENTLY have inferior armour and weapons to the tier(s) below them?
I have noticed that almost every faction's top tier troops in some area are inferiorly equipped to the tier below them. Is this an intentional programming decision to make the top tier more vulnerable? I do notice when I review combat deaths that almost always, the very top tier suffers the highest combat mortalities. This seems counterproductive to the effort and cost to upgrade them. It would seem intuitive that lower tier troops SHOULD suffer highest combat mortalities, they are not called "cannon fodder" for nothing. And "the strong shall survive" etc.
Looking forward to your comments. I can easily provide examples to prove my comments.
Do you mean specific slots? Usually the helmet and body armor are better for the higher tiers. On the other hand the troop equipment is, AFAIK, not final.

Example 1: Khuzait Khezig (tier 5): armed with Steppe War Bow (damage 66) vs Khuzait Khan's Guard (tier 6): armed with Steppe Recurve Bow (damage 62). A reduction of 4 in thrust damage. For a top tier troup.

Example 2: Khuzait Heavy Lancer (tier 5 cavalry): arm armor - rough tied bracers (Battanian firstly, and only 9 armor), when the Heavy Horse Archer (tier 5 horse archer) gets Plated leather Vambraces (Khuzait, 24 armor). So the cavalry, way more likely to engage in combat gets a tier 1 armor piece not even from their culture (!), while the horse archer (not made for any melee) get the top armor piece available. Logic anyone?

Example 3: Khuzait Marksman (tier 5 archer): body armor is Cured Leather Lamellar Armor (only 29 body armor!), while the Khuzait Archer (tier 4) gets Brigandine vest (39 body armor). That is a 10 point reduction in body armor!

Example 4: as in the horse archer troops, the tier 4 gest the better bow (Steppe War Bow) while the tier 5 gets the weaker bow (Steppe Recurve).

It's like an intentional weakening of the highest tier troops in both damage output and armor protection -> leading to higher casualties and lower kills by highest tier troops. Kind of defeats the purpose of "upgrading" your troops, when you are actually downgrading them.

This is just examples from the Khuzait troop line and not even all the inexplicable gear decisions. So many Battanian items on Khuzait troops when there are equal or superior options from the Khuzait gear. it's like the programmer was drunk or high when they put this together...

And this really applies to ALL factions. A great example is the Imperial Buccellarii, the only horse archers from the empire, wearing weaker armor than the tier 3 infantry (with almost no armor or leg protection), armed with only basic arrows (1 damage,...not even Steppe or Bodkin), compared to Aserai armed with Piercing arrows (4 damage). A massive nerfing of the Buccellarii as viable alternative to Khuzait or Aserai. Especially given how late they show up (tier 5) compared to Khuzait (tier 2)

• Khuzait Archer
    • Reinforced Studded Shoulder Guards (17 Body, 4 Arm) instead of Reinforced Studded Neckguard (17 Body).
    • Brigandine Vest (34 Body, 4 Leg, 2 Arm) instead of Cured Leather Lamellar Armor (25 Body, 12 Leg, 6 Arm).
  • Khuzait Marksman
    • Reinforced Studded Shoulder Guards (17 Body, 4 Arm) instead of Reinforced Studded Neckguard (17 Body).
    • Cured Leather Lamellar Armor (24 Body, 12 Leg, 6 Arm) instead of Brigandine Vest (34 Body, 4 Leg, 2 Arm).
Why do they have less BA than their previous tier?
You could just let the HA and Archers use the same equipment for Khuzait,it'd be a better looking faction and more balance.
HA and Archers of Khuzait using Cured Leather Lamellar Armor (24 Body, 12 Leg, 6 Arm) and Reinforced Studded Shoulder Guards (17 Body, 4 Arm) for Archers while HA using Leather Lamellar Shoulders (12 Body 3 Arm)

Why would they? This is literally what made cataphracts obsolete at the end of the day. They used Two Handed spear not couchable lances
Cataphracts were never made obsolete? The term just shifted around and eventually fell out of use. There isn't a huge amount of different between one kind of shock cavalry and another. The earliest so called cataphracts didn't have stirrups, which is what actually prevented couching. Later Roman imperial cataphracts utilized a specific formation and mix of horse archers. But they could absolutely couch a lance.

Cataphracts were never made obsolete? The term just shifted around and eventually fell out of use. There isn't a huge amount of different between one kind of shock cavalry and another. The earliest so called cataphracts didn't have stirrups, which is what actually prevented couching. Later Roman imperial cataphracts utilized a specific formation and mix of horse archers. But they could absolutely couch a lance.
Not to mention how lots of Roman formations werent actually what their names implied. Cataphractoi may have started in one configuration but as financial and tactical considerations were seen they would change in arms, armament and tactics. The whole importance of the standard and legion history "Muh eagles" mindset meant that when it came to names it was often more about the hereditary status of a unit and the prestige that came with it than any hard and fast rules about their equipment.
There's no way the knight's charge dominated so many battlefields in that era but they saw it and went "nah, not for us."
Edit: On quick, not-thorough research, according to printed manuals from the time the Romans had the stirrup formalized as part of military equipment by about 580ad, and the Cataphract was used in a mixed composition of archers and lancers to take advantage of the lance impact on already disordered troops from being shot with arrows on the charge.

Last edited:
@Dejan Can you guys please reconsider giving back the sturgian heavy axemen back their plated warlord helmet
6KPBc.png
, the look of the heavy axemen
WEgAJ.png
has dropped to the levels of a sea raider warrior
Kevfm.png
. There is no reason they should have the same helmet as a T3 bandit and honestly the plated warlord helmet not existing out in the world is just so lame. Give me back the ravioli please.

At the very least just give heavy axemen a second set that gives them back the helmet and gives them some shoulders just like the heavy spearmen.

d3YBo.png

XeCEg.png

Please consider this.

Last edited:
@Dejan Can you guys please reconsider giving back the sturgian heavy axemen back their plated warlord helmet
6KPBc.png
, the look of the heavy axemen
WEgAJ.png
has dropped to the levels of a sea raider warrior
Kevfm.png
. There is no reason they should have the same helmet as a T3 bandit and honestly the plated warlord helmet not existing out in the world is just so lame. Give me back the ravioli please.

At the very least just give heavy axemen a second set that gives them back the helmet and gives them some shoulders just like the heavy spearmen.

d3YBo.png

XeCEg.png

Please consider this.
Wait what, people actually like that stupid condom helmet? No, devs, PLEASE do not change them back. Give them some shoulder armour or something, but do not give them the ravioli ****.

Also I'm pretty sure that goggled helmet is extremely strong anyway, so its not a big deal.

Wait what, people actually like that stupid condom helmet? No, devs, PLEASE do not change them back. Give them some shoulder armour or something, but do not give them the ravioli ****.

Also I'm pretty sure that goggled helmet is extremely strong anyway, so its not a big deal.
They are inspired by real archeological findings and are one of those "closer to real thing" in the game.
If they remind you a condom, well, why not 😁
Its sea raider helmet that is a real abomination ☝️

They are inspired by real archeological findings and are one of those "closer to real thing" in the game.
If they remind you a condom, well, why not 😁
Its sea raider helmet that is a real abomination ☝️
There are literally 0 ravioli helmets in that page. Your plated warlord helmet is pretty much fiction, and hideous to boot.

Something like this would be a different story.

gorod1.jpg

But the ravioli condom sh*t looks nothing like it. And I frankly hope its never used again.

And I fail to see what makes the sea raider helmet an abomination lol. Its literally an awesome Viking spectacle helmet, and it has tremendous stats. They're much closer to real life stuff than the ravioli abomination.

Ah you mean those plates attached to aventail. Sorry, italian pasta is not my field of expertise 😄

Back
Top Bottom