In Progress [e1.5.9] Balancing issue - Fully upgraded castle can't sustain food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.9
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

DoorMordes

Recruit
Summary: Talivel Castle is fully upgraded with 1550 prosperity and can't sustain itself. Prosperity continues to grow, further driving down food production, requiring less and less garrison to break even. Currently at 130/360 garrison to break even. Parties constantly add to the garrison, making sustaining the castle impossible. This is breaking my single player playthrough, as this was my first and one of 3 fiefs I own, and there's no way for me to correct it. I can't limit garrison, I can't reduce prosperity, I can't stop parties from filling the garrison. All I can do is sit and watch as my castle starves, and loyalty and security plummet.
How to Reproduce:
Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
DAv5LkF.png

Computer Specs:
GPU: GTX 1660 TI
GPU Driver Version:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Motherboard: B450M
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): 1TB SSD

I'd propose a temporary fix would be to cap prosperity on castles until you can address the larger balancing issue in general.

If you want, you can upload your save to Google Drive.

A castle's main source of food comes from it's villages. Are there bandits or other enemies intercepting them when they travel to the castle? Did any of that castle's villages get looted recently?

A castle's main source of food comes from it's villages. Are there bandits or other enemies intercepting them when they travel to the castle? Did any of that castle's villages get looted recently?
No the villages are well protected. When they get looted you can actually see that change in the food calculation, the villages won't appear to add +10 until they return to normal. Talivel and Rodetan are the villages for Talivel Castle.

Do you have a save file of session that you experienced this issue? With your save file, we can reproduce the issue much easier and faster. For more information regarding how to send us your save files, you can check this thread out. You can find your save file here:
C:\Users\username\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

You can send your save files to us via upload.taleworlds.com site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

I have suggested the rephrase the term prosperity as its "Bad english".
What prosperity in this game actually mean is POPULATION.

Thus the more population you have the more food they need to consume, thus you get the issues of starvation etc.
Why you should basically keep an eye out for the castles so they dont go over 1200 I find, roughly is the sweet spot where they keep everyone fed.
Above that between population consumpition, garrison of a notable size.

Easy fix in your case is to just remove some of the garrison so instead of them consuming 7 food it would be 6 and thus the starvation would be 0.

(the problem though is if still keeps on going up, I typically put it on the one you have now, festival and games, and generally they dont run into this issue at all) its when you have it on the one that boost prosperity that it typically inflate the population so much that it ends up hurting(or a governor that also boost it).

Cities can sort of run into this issue, but you can counter that by dropping loads of food into the market, and before it gets consumed/sold it will keep it in check even if you have high population(I've yet to have had issues with 15k population in 3-4 village bound cities(Marunath ftw)(Battania town, may have misspelled)

Do you have a save file of session that you experienced this issue? With your save file, we can reproduce the issue much easier and faster. For more information regarding how to send us your save files, you can check this thread out. You can find your save file here:
C:\Users\username\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves

You can send your save files to us via upload.taleworlds.com site. Please write your username and this threads URL into the description box so that we can find it easier. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!
I've gone ahead and uploaded a save file.

I have suggested the rephrase the term prosperity as its "Bad english".
What prosperity in this game actually mean is POPULATION.

Thus the more population you have the more food they need to consume, thus you get the issues of starvation etc.
Why you should basically keep an eye out for the castles so they dont go over 1200 I find, roughly is the sweet spot where they keep everyone fed.
Above that between population consumpition, garrison of a notable size.

Easy fix in your case is to just remove some of the garrison so instead of them consuming 7 food it would be 6 and thus the starvation would be 0.

(the problem though is if still keeps on going up, I typically put it on the one you have now, festival and games, and generally they dont run into this issue at all) its when you have it on the one that boost prosperity that it typically inflate the population so much that it ends up hurting(or a governor that also boost it).

Cities can sort of run into this issue, but you can counter that by dropping loads of food into the market, and before it gets consumed/sold it will keep it in check even if you have high population(I've yet to have had issues with 15k population in 3-4 village bound cities(Marunath ftw)(Battania town, may have misspelled)
Unfortunately if it was just as easy as removing garrison that would be fine. The issue is parties constantly filling up the garrison. Now that the loyalty and security of the castle plummeted and is remaining ~60-70, prosperity has leveled out at around 1700, and parties don't seem to be adding to the garrison as often anymore. It could be that I have more fiefs now that they are adding to other garrisons, but when this was my only fief, my parties were filling up the garrison constantly.

I've also noticed now that one of the villages has more hearths, it's giving the castle more food. One village with 800+ hearths is giving the castle +15 food, the other village with 400+ hearths is only giving 10. This could be a solution to the problem, but they need to explain that better in the game.

Isn't it a problem since the beggining of EA? basically what you have to do is to own your desired fief as soon as possible to avoid others to upgrade everythng to level 3 and avoid prosperity being too high

Isn't it a problem since the beggining of EA? basically what you have to do is to own your desired fief as soon as possible to avoid others to upgrade everythng to level 3 and avoid prosperity being too high
Yeah and it was much much worse before they added the food upgrades. They've also removed some sources of unwanted units getting into garrisons.
We need a special GARRISON ONLY food stash the player can fill up as much as they want to.

Which is as stupid as it can be. Is like saying ancient rome was staring even while being the most rich city on earth. If you have money, food shall arrive in one way or the other.

Unless there was a famine, it was literally impossible for cieties and castle to be missing food

Back
Top Bottom