Resolved [e1.5.7 beta] Crashes when interacting with Looters (multiple causes explained).

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.5.7
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.

Loaf Cat

Recruit
I did check known issues and saw:
- " Investigating the crashes occurred in large battles."

However, this is a bit more specific and as I'm unsure whether it occurs in all instances, I thought I'd report it.

EDIT: This post has been rewritten as new information has come to light.

Summary: Interacting with Looters after specific events causes the game to crash. First thing to note:
  • The crash does not occur with any other party except Looters. Nobles, villagers, bandits, and caravans remain unaffected (I have tested this multiple times).
  • The crash occurs during multiple events, but not all triggers are known.
  • The size of the Looter party does not always appear to be relevant. The game has crashed with a party of 13 and a party of 46.
Next, we are certain that the smithy is responsible for at least one of the crash triggers. It can be reproduced like so:
  1. Enter a town.
  2. Enter the smithy.
  3. Smelt, forge, or refine an item.
  4. Leave the smithy and the town.
  5. Do not interact with any party except for a Looter party.
  6. The games should crash upon reaching the party.
Crash ID for the smithy crash:
  1. 2021-01-16_13.48.39_39463d1f615ee277d2ffffc151336485
  2. 2021-01-16_13.48.39_39463d1f615ee277d2ffffc151336485
However, my game has also crashed when interacting with a large party of Looters without using the smithy as directed above. Here is what I know about this crash:
  • It may occur without using the smithy.
  • Thus far, it only appears to occur with a large party of Looters (30+). This is not well-tested, and party size may not be relevant.
  • I have been unable to consistently reproduce this crash, but should emphasise once more, it only occurs with Looter parties.
  • I think it may be to do with using the trade shop. Would make sense, as using the smithy causes the game to crash too. Although, I've had difficulty reproducing this more than twice.
I am yet to provide a crash ID for this type of crash, but I will update this should it happen again.

Crash ID for the other trigger:

1. 2021-01-16_19.28.39_39463d1f615ee277d2ffffc151336485

---

Other users have provided their own crash IDs in the replies. For clarity, the crash IDs provided in this specific post are my own, as I can only be certain about what I did to produce the crash.

Computer Specs:
GPU: GTX 1070
GPU Driver Version: 461.09
CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Crucial 1TB SSD

Last edited:
Were you able yo use the crash uploader after the crashes? It is nearly impossible for us to reproduce most of the crashes. With an uploaded dump file of the crash, we can debug the issue. If you are still experiencing this issue please use the crash uploader and send us the crash identifier so that we can find it. You will see the identifier after the upload is completed and you can copy it on the dialogue window.

Just noticed this same bug myself and reproduced it multiple times with different large groups of looters or even steppe bandits. I've uploaded my crash dump file two times now in the last 30 minutes of this post. Hope this helps!

Were you able yo use the crash uploader after the crashes? It is nearly impossible for us to reproduce most of the crashes. With an uploaded dump file of the crash, we can debug the issue. If you are still experiencing this issue please use the crash uploader and send us the crash identifier so that we can find it. You will see the identifier after the upload is completed and you can copy it on the dialogue window.

I did initially upload it but wasn't aware of how the crash uploader worked. If it happens again, I will do so and reply to this thread again with the ID. Sorry about that!

+1, this happens with lots of looter groups, repro'd every time i engaged looters after smithing in settlement. have sumbitted a few crashes for this. really disruptive for early gameplay

2021-01-16_09.57.38_c0311d03cc73beb39b9672333baa5e7f

saving before engagement then reloading seems to avoid the crash

Last edited:
+1, this happens with lots of looter groups, repro'd every time i engaged looters after smithing in settlement. have sumbitted a few crashes for this. really disruptive for early gameplay
I can also say that I crash everytime after I smith in a settlement and then go to engage looters/bandits. If you are crashing inconsistently when engaging parties try smithing and then going to fight something.

Okay, yes, I can now confirm, this occurs with any sized looter party if you try to interact with them after entering the smithy.

2021-01-16_13.48.39_39463d1f615ee277d2ffffc151336485

repro (100%)
- start any game with any faction
- go to poros and acquire some crafting materials (buy/smelt some throwing knives or smelt your weapon, buy wood)
- craft anything (the actual crafting step may not be necessary, as this is likely an issue with a UI element not closing properly)
- leave poros
- find any looters and attack
- ctd on contact
this doesn't repro from a save

Very similar crashes for me, sent a few reports about it
2021-01-16_21.02.34_3f692c584d458bd7a0a629109fff5222

What I noticed: it does seem to happen after I play for roughly 30 minutes and indeed, most of the time after I use a smithy in a town. However, if I save in between, loading that save and going after the same group of looters doesn't trigger the crash.
Also, once it happened with the Steppe Bandits instead of looters.

What I think might be the problem - when you are crafting, the new weapons generate their ID, which maybe is not fully propagating through all the databases? But if you load a save file that has the ID, it would be correctly accounted for everywhere else?

For me this crash is 100% reproducible
2021-01-17_16.37.04_3f692c584d458bd7a0a629109fff5222
You load the savefile in the town, go to the smithy and craft any weapon (tried two-handed or one-handed swords, daggers), then exit on the global map, and try catching any looter party.

This crash still exists after the most recent hotfix. I don't know why it wasn't fixed it is 100% reproducible. If you do any smithing at all on 1.5.7 and then fight anything the game crashes. Again this crash is reproducible 100% of the time, any time you smith and then fight without first restarting the game it will crash.

After the hotfix it got worse - now it's crashing 100% of the time when I catch looters if I have a crafted weapon in my inventory. If I smelt all of those, then everything is fine.
2021-01-18_21.02.09_3f692c584d458bd7a0a629109fff5222 (Copied to clipboard)

This crash still exists after the most recent hotfix. I don't know why it wasn't fixed it is 100% reproducible. If you do any smithing at all on 1.5.7 and then fight anything the game crashes. Again this crash is reproducible 100% of the time, any time you smith and then fight without first restarting the game it will crash.
yep its still there. there probably is a lag between internal approval for a releasable build and when the build goes live (that way internal testers can confirm the new fixes don't have even worse knock-on effects). having said that, i'd hope they put out another hotfix for this as I don't think it was initially obvious how common this is until now...

Back
Top Bottom