MP e.1.0.x cavalry vs spearman

Users who are viewing this thread

EvgenS

Knight at Arms
There are quite a number of posts about cavalry vs infantry balance already and zero feedback from devs on this matter.

I just remind that this issue appeared with 0.8.x beta patches

At least, increase mount rearing up angle back (up to 55-60?%) and add some cooldown between couches (there is simply none).
These are just couple of variables to change but will make already a huge difference to balance inf vs cav

Last edited:
I definitely agree with the rearing cone being increased. It's honestly just broken at this point, which makes me actually wonder if it's a bug or a feature.

Yeah, couch and cavalry in general is incredibly hard to counter in skirmish right now, not only you need to hit the heavy horses 10 times to kill it you also have to take the 50%50 chance that your spear won't glace or stop the enemy.

Agree with this. I think that damage to horse with spear especially while it moving on you should be highly increased. Why horseman can deal 200-300+ damage to infantry with couch but infantry can deal MAXIMUM 45-50 with the SAME speed bonus. Infantry and horse have the same speed relative to each other. So why horseman dealing more damage? Whats the logic?

Agree, cav is stupidly OP.
The maps aren't that balanced either, cav can reach you in nearly every place compared to warband where you'd be safe in many areas or spots.

You can just hug another player with your horse, their attacks will glance or not hit you but just your horse (which can tank a lot of hits anyway).

Menavlion cav doesn't even care about spears. While you stab & rear their horse they'll oneshot you with their menavlion.

I feel like even if the cone was increased, actually being able to do damage to stationary cav is another issue.

It takes many, many hits to kill the rider or the horse when they're not moving as inf.

There's some inconsistency when it comes to rearing, I don't think it has to do anything with the rearing cone, I'm rather leaning towards network issues, since not even once I had nailed stabbing the cone only for cav to either ignore it, or actually stop but after it bumped me and/or stopped behind my back.

Might be just my network issues, but afaik it's the case even for those with lower ping.

There's some inconsistency when it comes to rearing, I don't think it has to do anything with the rearing cone, I'm rather leaning towards network issues, since not even once I had nailed stabbing the cone only for cav to either ignore it, or actually stop but after it bumped me and/or stopped behind my back.

Might be just my network issues, but afaik it's the case even for those with lower ping.

I have definitely seen & reported server hitreg issues when it comes to sync/prediction algorithms

That's should be okay in some cases that cavs are strong, it's even realistic. But if they are SO strong why not to increase their PRICE to make it COMPARABLE to their POWER?
It terms of balance cavalry has incredible kill pressure, they are good in capturing different points due to their high mobility, they have extremely low risk - high reward due to length of their spears and high mobility (infantry can't hit you first with a spear - only with a pike, but not just every troop, not every faction have them -, only your horse. So you can get damage, but ride away in most sticky situations like this). And all this things apply to light cavalry aswell. While it's even cheaper than some infantry.
And even in terms of realistic horses aren't any cheap, especially in those ages. And you have not only to buy horses and equipment to cavalry, you have to train this men also.

I'd also like to see hitting the SHOULDER of the horse causing a rear too, it makes no sense that hitting it's head causes it to rear instead of outright killing it but hitting it's shoulder(ie. the front of the horse) doesn't rear it.

I'd also like to see hitting the SHOULDER of the horse causing a rear too, it makes no sense that hitting it's head causes it to rear instead of outright killing it but hitting it's shoulder(ie. the front of the horse) doesn't rear it.
Ah so that's why so many hits don't stop them! Didn't realize that shoulders didn't rear them, so many full blown hits 50-100 damage and they don't stop!

The maps aren't that balanced either, cav can reach you in nearly every place compared to warband where you'd be safe in many areas or spots..
I would really like to mirror this thought, map design in Bannerlord skirmish maps is terrible when it comes to variety, it's all level terrain with basically no ability to hide from cav and almost non-existant tighter spaces or elevated platforms to go to.

Ah so that's why so many hits don't stop them! Didn't realize that shoulders didn't rear them, so many full blown hits 50-100 damage and they don't stop!

I actually hit a horse head for 60 dmg today directly from the front as he was charging me with a couch lance and it did nothing and I got couched.

This **** is broken and needs fixing, cav was just nice before the uncalled changes in 0.8 whatever it was.

I think the horses are underpowerd atm. High tear archers, with any form of terrain and infantry in front shred them down. The fact that any spearman can 1 hit a horse is for me pretty weird since the amount of horses to spearman ratio is so favoured.

I think the horses are underpowerd atm. High tear archers, with any form of terrain and infantry in front shred them down. The fact that any spearman can 1 hit a horse is for me pretty weird since the amount of horses to spearman ratio is so favoured.

Are you talking in terms of captain mode here because A) This is referring to PvP combat mostly. and B) Yes, that is exactly why you don't charge cavalry through ranks of spearmen up a hill into archers, that's not being underpowered that's being stupid. You'll still have half your unit with you if you do that anyways which is hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom