In Progress Dynamic shadows and static shadows have vastly different quality levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: The game has two shadow options: Static Only and Dynamic, with the possibility of adjusting their quality from Low to Very High. The issue is that on my system, Static Only shadows have very poor quality all across the range. In comparison, choosing Dynamic shadows set at a Low level of quality look much sharper than Static Only shadows set at Very High. Please look at the screenshots below for comparison.
How to Reproduce: Compare the quality of Static Only and Dynamic shadows at the same quality settings.
Quest/Settlement Name (if related): Not applicable.
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Dynamic Low:
3iYF0.png
Static Low:
Sdbks.png
Dynamic Medium:
wCXeL.png
Static Medium:
pEJUE.png
Dynamic High:
WPBEz.png
Static High:
CKDkj.png
Dynamic Very High:
wU5hi.png
Static Very High:
Q536d.png
Version: e1.0.6 (occured on all the earlier versions)
Computer Specs:
GPU: GeForce MX150 2Gb (up to 4Gb)
CPU: Intel i5-8250U
RAM: 8Gb @2400Mhz
Motherboard: Lenovo LNVNB161216
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): 500Gb SSD

Additional files: DxDiag and engine_config.
https://easyupload.io/w7mz4c

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. The issue you described is working as intended. The reason is dynamic shadows are sharp because they rendered in only your view frustrum in realtime, so we can increase their resolution to fit that small area. Static shadow are rendered once for all the scene at scene loading so it cant match dynamic shadow quality without exceeding gpu texture limits.

Update: I have tested the dynamic shadows on the campaign map. When I travel on the map, the shadows always flicker (meaning that they appear and disappear a a very fast rate). The flicker happens on absolutely all the shadowed objects.

We are aware of the flickering shadows on campaign map, we are searching for possible solutions, but it is not a priority right now. Thank you for your feedback.

To be honest I think it should be somewhere in the realm of priority. The sole reason I am not playing this game right now is because of that. It kills the immersion with no shadows and it kills my eyes with shadows. I can't be the only one that is heavily bothered by this dynamic shadow problem.

To be honest I think it should be somewhere in the realm of priority. The sole reason I am not playing this game right now is because of that. It kills the immersion with no shadows and it kills my eyes with shadows. I can't be the only one that is heavily bothered by this dynamic shadow problem.
I got ya bro - For me the issue is also very annoying. But what I cant undersand is why more than 2 years later the issue still persists...

Back
Top Bottom