DVI-D No Signal

Users who are viewing this thread

SkyTime

Grandmaster Knight
Aight guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle and you've helped me out before >.>

I recently upgraded my PC I built back in 2013 with a fancy GTX 1080. I also bought a new 144hz monitor. The thing is, my GPU doesn't give out a DVI-D signal, or rather it loses it as soon as Windows boots, I get to the loading screen just fine, could possibly reach BIOS too, didn't try, and as soon as the desktop loads the signal goes out. HDMI works just fine, I'm using it right now but I'm not going to get the full 144hz masterrace experience with this, meaning I just wasted a load of money.

On my last setup I had a GTX 780 ti on which I also had a DVI monitor, don't remember which DVI connector I had but it didn't work on this new card either, I tried two different monitors with two different cables. When I put the new card in I ran Display Driver Uninstaller and put in fresh drivers which are up to date.

I tried some googling and found people with similar'ish problems but they didn't get any sort of signals.

So here I am, hoping one of you might have run into a problem like this before, thank you for any help you can provide.

It's only 1080p.

I've a couple of things to try out to combat this no signal issue but I also have a bunch of tests this week so I can't be arsed right now, I'll get back to this later this week. Hope in the future this might be of use to someone :-d

E: Well I decided to try something out after all. I unplugged all my SSD's and HDD's and the thing went to BIOS just fine, so the card can't be broken, the resolution in bios was pretty ****ed, like a fourth of the screen was missing. I replugged everything and it was just fine, again, until entering the desktop. Had the loading screen etc, though again the resolution wasn't right. This time I didn't lose DVI signal but just had a black screen on desktop and couldn't do anything.

I did have two 1080p monitors and a 4k TV on my last card, could that have translated badly with the card change? If I plug in my second monitor with DVI while using my main with HDMI it doesn't even recognise the DVI monitor at all so I can't go there and change the resolution D:

Sounds like the DVI cable is bad. Is it a Dual-link? I don't think single-link can push 144hz. Even so it should default to 60 or whatever the monitor reports it can do. You can easily test this by plugging it in and setting your monitors to mirror the desktop rather than extend the desktop.

I tried the DVI-D dual link cable that came with my new monitor and the DVI-D single link cable I had on my old monitor on my old setup, both cables on both monitors, no good.

If I plug a monitor with the DVI cable as a second monitor it just shows no signal and windows doesn't recognise it so I can't change any settings either  ._.

I bought a Benq XL2411 and I strongly believe the port isn't broken because I get signal until desktop, like it shows the windows loading part, and I even got into bios with it :-d But yes, otherwise it works fine on HDMI.

I've still some things I could try out and if none of them work I'll just try reinstalling windows (because I really ought to do that regardless of the issue xd) and see if something is ****ed in that end.

e: I tried plugging in all the other **** I had on my last setup but it didn't make any difference. I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point, the next thing I'll probably do is reinstall everything, most likely some time next week as I have a bunch of free time.

If the port isn't performing to spec then it's broken. It doesn't have to not work at all in order to be broken, thanks to the way electrical signals have tolerances and shiz. It's also entirely possible that some of the chips and dongles inside of the monitor are malfunctioning at the higher clock rate required to give 144hz refresh rate.

The last option here is to set DVI output to the same refresh rate as your HDMI and see if it works. Then you'll know the DVI port isn't up to spec and you can request a refund or RMA.

Well I can get to bios with both the 144hz and the 60hz monitor so I don't really know about that.

I'm pretty reluctant to get a refund because it's always such a huge pain in the ass so I'll wait until I get to reinstall windows.

Thanks for the help though, I'll get back to this if **** fixes itself or some such.

****'s ****ed, you're right, the GPU is almost certainly borked at this point.

Judging by some anger-fueled googling my old'ish motherboard and outdated bios version could have something to do with it but in all honesty I just can't be arsed to go that route, I'll probably end up bricking the whole thing.

I'll just wait till' I have some money to get a display port monitor and if even that doesn't work I'll throw everything against a wall or something.

Thanks though.

Your motherboard or BIOS definitely has nothing to do with it. Replacing the GPU, monitor, and DVI cable would catch literally every possible issue I can think of if you want to go the nuclear route. Start with the cheapest!

Back
Top Bottom