Dualswords?

Users who are viewing this thread

How many times do we have to say no to this?

I couldn't find a clear answer for Bannerlord so my apologies if this has bothered you in any way. Please forgive me, sir. Thank you though for you clear & definitive answer.

Although he was clear, I don't remember TaleWorlds ruling dual yielding out of the game, so there's a thin possibility that they're thinking about it.

Although he was clear, I don't remember TaleWorlds ruling dual yielding out of the game, so there's a thin possibility that they're thinking about it.

Possibly, though I wouldn't expect it. They tend to stick pretty close to history, and there are very few historical examples of dual swording. The ones you do see, as well as the implementation of things like parrying daggers, come from rather further on in the period if I recall correctly.

I couldn't find a clear answer for Bannerlord so my apologies if this has bothered you in any way. Please forgive me, sir. Thank you though for you clear & definitive answer.
Damn, you're so nice, sorry for my rude answer. The thing is dual wielding is more fantasy, and does not fit what Mount and Blade is trying to achieve, maybe a mod in a future will do so

How could you block four directions wielding the swords and block four directions against them (they'll just hit right and left at the same time and it would be unblockable)... Doesn't fit bannerlord's style of combat.

How could you block four directions wielding the swords and block four directions against them (they'll just hit right and left at the same time and it would be unblockable)... Doesn't fit bannerlord's style of combat.

There are only two ways I could see to pull it off:

One is to make the offhand weapon strictly a parrying weapon. You can only use it for defense. In that case, though, it'd be kind of foolish to use it over a shield.

The other is to say that when you attack, you do so with both weapons from the same direction in a one-two animation.

Either way, though, it's not something I'd expect to see in Mount and Blade. I feel like modders could pull it off, but it'd feel awkward for me personally to play with in a battlefield scenario. Might be nice for tournament dueling, though.

Right click swings with right-handed weapon, left click with left handed weapon (re-bindable of course). Click both to attack with both but slower + more dmg. A separate button for blocking, works the same as blocking with any regular sword.

I'm not saying it should be done, but can it? I think so. Forgive me for not reading through that 333 page thread to see if someone with more credentials has written off the possibility already :lol:

Right click swings with right-handed weapon, left click with left handed weapon (re-bindable of course). Click both to attack with both but slower + more dmg. A separate button for blocking, works the same as blocking with any regular sword.

I'm not saying it should be done, but can it? I think so. Forgive me for not reading through that 333 page thread to see if someone with more credentials has written off the possibility already :lol:
I did read most of that thread back in 2016. I don't remember much of it. It was mostly "But muh realism" vs "But musashi and rule of cool lol samurais".
Pretty sure someone did suggest it. The fact that many people can independently come up with that idea lends more credibility to it.
Interestingly, on the second or third page of the thread, Armagan said that an early version of mount&blade did have duel wielding and that it was only cut because back then it complicated programming. He also said that he had plans to re-implement duel wielding into the game once he had more time. Obviously that never happened, but the idea that Armagan supports the idea and has implemented duel wielding in early warrider pretty much destroys any argument along the lines of "does not fit mount&blade" and "is impossible to include in the game".

Now should it be included in the game? I think that, like the pistol, it should be made to make it possible for modders to use that combat mechanic in their mods if they want it but that it should not be accessible in the base native module.

I think it could be in the game, but not for regular troops.
Maybe via some high level one handed perk.
That way you would see it just once in a while, for those who think it looks silly, well, some real people are silly, so your "Muh Realism" argument doesn't fit :wink:

This is not a fantasy themed game.

Also, the way the combat system works, the most that can be done is to have the second sword act as a pretty ****ty shield, I'm certain I've played at least one warband mod that did this, and I'm certain there will be mods with dual wielding in bannerlord as well, but it'll never really work great I don't think.

Last edited:
I did read most of that thread back in 2016. I don't remember much of it. It was mostly "But muh realism" vs "But musashi and rule of cool lol samurais".
Pretty sure someone did suggest it. The fact that many people can independently come up with that idea lends more credibility to it.
Interestingly, on the second or third page of the thread, Armagan said that an early version of mount&blade did have duel wielding and that it was only cut because back then it complicated programming. He also said that he had plans to re-implement duel wielding into the game once he had more time. Obviously that never happened, but the idea that Armagan supports the idea and has implemented duel wielding in early warrider pretty much destroys any argument along the lines of "does not fit mount&blade" and "is impossible to include in the game".

Now should it be included in the game? I think that, like the pistol, it should be made to make it possible for modders to use that combat mechanic in their mods if they want it but that it should not be accessible in the base native module.
Early M&B and Warrider had zombies too. The game took a different direction over time, so its not possible for them to re implement dual swords because it doesnt really fit in with M&B series anymore.

I think doesnt really fit native M&B, but could be done in mods. Here is the example of a good implementation into a game.

I think it would be nice as a very rare option - maybe as has been suggested as a high-tier 1 handed perk. Obviously it wasn't really a battlefield style but we do know it can and has been used for dueling (even if for style rather than function). Certainly it would be very fun to play around with!

I don't think this sort of very limited implementation would damage the game 'realism' much - if only the player (if focused as a combat type) and 1 or 2 select characters in the world could do it.

If dual-wielding was a thing then they would probably solve it with the Stance System.

left-stance = use left weapon, right stance = use right weapon.

Pros:
-1h weapons are currently divided into short-spear, sword, axe, mace. They have different properties in combat making it useful to have access to both. Swing at a knight with the mace, swing as peasants with the sword.
-looks cool AF

Cons:
- Must rework weapon selection mechanic
- Stance system is honestly really unintuitive and it wouldn't be a clean implementation

Back
Top Bottom