Dual wielding combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Cool, but I wouldn't get hopes up. If nothing else from my understanding the main benefit of dual wielding was the ability to parry when you didn't have a shield which might be useful if attacked in town, but less so in battle (at least until pistols came along). It wouldn't do the damage of a two hander and it's not as effective as a shield in defence (even if just because it's harder to stop arrows with) and so wasn't used that much.

Dual wielding is an invention of R.A. Salvatore that video games adopted and ran with.

People didn't fight with 2 swords or 2 axes: it's pure fantasy bull****.

Dual wielding is an invention of R.A. Salvatore that video games adopted and ran with.
Martial arts have been dual wielding weapons hundreds of years (perhaps thousands) before Salvatore was even a twinkle in his mother's eye. He certainly did not invent it. But, as I said in my former post, it was for "ceremonial demonstrations that have no direct relevance to actual combat. Most of it is finesse for show as an example of what can be done with weapons, not what was actually practical to kill people and stay alive yourself."

Even if you wanted to attribute it to a modern author, there were fantasy authors before Salvatore was even born who used it in their novels.

Man, I love dual wielding threads!

I really don't think it's a bad idea, but I can't see how would it work or even make sense in the combat system.
Would it allow to attack and block at the same time? Would it enable two simultaneous attacks? Seems OP and very complex in both cases.

Dual wielding is fun conceptually but even leaving battlefield context aside (which is the main sore in the eye when it comes to dual-wielding) I don't think it would work well in this game. For starters - how would it be implemented? How would it work? How would it enhance the gaming experience? Other than making second weapon into a weaker shield I have no idea what could be the implementation of it gameplay-wise and that option feels quite redundant.

Skallagrim's video shows his character "dual shielding" briefly (around 9:30 or so) but I haven't tried this yet:

Martial arts have been dual wielding weapons hundreds of years (perhaps thousands) before Salvatore was even a twinkle in his mother's eye. He certainly did not invent it. But, as I said in my former post, it was for "ceremonial demonstrations that have no direct relevance to actual combat. Most of it is finesse for show as an example of what can be done with weapons, not what was actually practical to kill people and stay alive yourself."

Even if you wanted to attribute it to a modern author, there were fantasy authors before Salvatore was even born who used it in their novels.

Martial arts wasn't using 2 full sized scimitars.

He invented the idea of 2 full sized weapons being used at once unless you know someone else that brought the impossible into main stream everyday American culture. Name the other author that brought this absurd idea to popularity before him. Using a full sized weapon in each hand would be like hunting with a bolt action rifle in each hand. You would get to combat....set one down and use the other one.

Before Salvatore duel wielding was accurate to history and still extremely rare: a parrying dagger in the off hand.

Now video game dorks everywhere expect people to be able to wield a warhammer in one hand and a sword in the other.

Thank Drizzt for this nonsense.

Last edited:
Dual wielding was real for martial cultures, its easy to find in Asia, like India and the Philippines and Indonesia,not just this one Samurai guy.

Name the other author that brought this absurd idea to popularity before him.
There is certainly a difference between inventing and making popular. I can give a well known example of a fantasy character written before Salvatore was even born. Galdalf was a dual wielder with both sword and staff. He used both in The Hobbit as well as wielding both Glamdring and his wizard's staff against the Balrog in The Fellowship, and I am not talking about the movies but the actual novels. Who knows, maybe Salvatore was inspired by Tolkien, the father of modern fantasy?

Back
Top Bottom