Dual wielding combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Cool, but I wouldn't get hopes up. If nothing else from my understanding the main benefit of dual wielding was the ability to parry when you didn't have a shield which might be useful if attacked in town, but less so in battle (at least until pistols came along). It wouldn't do the damage of a two hander and it's not as effective as a shield in defence (even if just because it's harder to stop arrows with) and so wasn't used that much.

i really don't know about that one just did a quick search and it was not a thing that was widely used only some people like Miyamoto Musashi except it states he was a highly competent samurai it might seem cool but with the game that bannerlord is i don't know if it would fit unless you know they add in some type of feudal japan faction even so idk but still that seems more like something you would see in Gekokujo if that comes back to bannerlord i'm sure it will and someone can surely mod dual wielding in if they can make whole modules

Last edited:
i really don't know about that one just did a quick search and it was not a think that was widely used only some people like Miyamoto Musashi except it states he was a highly competent samurai it might seem cool but with the game that bannerlord is i don't know if it would fit unless you know they add in some type of feudal japan faction even so idk but still that seems more like something you would see in Gekokujo if that comes back to bannerlord i'm sure it will and someone can surely mod dual wielding in if they can make whole modules

Without any other intent, let me just add a bit of info for reference...

1. Musashi fought in ONE battle in his entire life. The rest of the samurai who spent their entire lives on the battle field, never used dual wielding.

2. There is serious contention that Miyamoto Musashi was actually a "LARP."

3. Records during the Sengoku era point to around 60% of battlefield deaths attributed to projectiles(arrows, stones, guns), 30% by spears, and only 10% by swords.

4. Both in Europe and Japan, swords were side-weapons.. The mainstay of Japanese armies during the mid/late Sengoku era became the pike infantry. In a typical order of battle, a Sengoku army would consist of around 60% pike infantry, 30% bowmen, 10% teppu. The Japanese did not have cavalry as a military unit. Only a handful of commanding nobles would be on a horse.

...Dual wielding is just a myth, both in the West and the East. It doesn't work in army-scale battles, and had only limited use in civilian environment, particularly in the dueling scene.

The only real, widespread dual wielding I have ever read about in history were parrying daggers (not used in battlefield warfare but in urban and other close-quarters combat like duels) and ceremonial demonstrations that have no direct relevance to actual combat (think performance martial arts). Most of it is finesse for show as an example of what can be done with weapons, not what was actually practical to kill people and stay alive yourself.

The only time I could think that you would want to dual wield is if you had no other option (if you only had 2 hand-axes, perhaps 2 might be better than one if you had the endurance and could still handle them together well enough?) or did not care about your own well-being (going on a suicidal rampage). There might be practial use in covert work with small arms like dual daggers, but you would NEVER take 2 daggers onto a battlefield as your weapons of choice.

Dual crossbows are awesome, and at least with pistol crossbows (which admittedly don't deal so much damage) possible. It would look really cool to use.
But, and here's the catch you'd only do it once, as reloading is a ***** with a crossbow in each hand .
You could use them like pirates did pistols and fire and drop/use as a club. Not sure it would work too well in this game though considering the limited amount of weapons you can carry in the game as it seems a lot to have a couple of 1 shot weapons (and that's before you account for the fact that they would need ammo).

In fact, in the discussion of this kind of thing on the forum, the comments and results are only: dual wield and double standard.
One part engine problem, one part brain problem.

Why? We have more important things needed in this game + dual-wielding is dual chance to get killed, nothing more...

Wait for mod...

Shield + spear > shield + sword > spear > twohanded polearms > one handed weapon >> fits >> dual-wielding

Back
Top Bottom