Dragoons are getting ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

I wonder if the mounted use of crossbows (firearms) could be coded to remove the ability to aim and fire while one is riding around. Perhaps it is hard coded  :sad:. But if it was possible it would be a work i think.

I think the outcome would give the dragoons the ability to become a mobile line infatryman (sort of). The dragoons would have the ability to "hit then run" rather then "hit while running"  :razz:.

I generally just shoot all horses on sight when the enemy starts getting a lot of cav, even if the cav isn't after me personally. I don't worry about the riders; I let my teammates handle that. I think of it as my "job", like an anti-horse class. It seems to work extremely well for my team, although I don't get many kills.

matmannen said:
I wonder if the mounted use of crossbows (firearms) could be coded to remove the ability to aim and fire while one is riding around. Perhaps it is hard coded  :sad:. But if it was possible it would be a work i think.

I think the outcome would give the dragoons the ability to become a mobile line infatryman (sort of). The dragoons would have the ability to "hit then run" rather then "hit while running"  :razz:.
I second this. That mechanic worked well in Empire: Total War and, while this is a totally different genre of game, I think it would work well here too.

Jordan_The_Noble said:
The simple way to somewhat make this more real would be to have the horses move after gun fire, like they are scared.

No way of ever knowing for sure...but I figure that the horses of vet cav regiments would be so conditioned to the noise of battle that they wouldn't jump. Just my take.

EDIT: And I see someone above me mentioned the same thing.

It does not make any sense at all to remove mounted fire from the game. If you can pull a trigger standing up, you can pull a trigger on a horse, and in the game the reality is the same as it was in history, besides horsemen having the same cost to an army as infantry, dragoons only pose a threat to lone soldiers. It would be a farce to have soldiers dismount just to shoot guns that are so inaccurate to begin with. When we say it is a challenge there is a difference between randomly killing off people as was suggested, because in this case you are given a set of circumstances to work against and which if you do you can avoid death.

Dr Funk said:
It does not make any sense at all to remove mounted fire from the game. If you can pull a trigger standing up, you can pull a trigger on a horse, and in the game the reality is the same as it was in history, besides horsemen having the same cost to an army as infantry, dragoons only pose a threat to lone soldiers. It would be a farce to have soldiers dismount just to shoot guns that are so inaccurate to begin with. When we say it is a challenge there is a difference between randomly killing off people as was suggested, because in this case you are given a set of circumstances to work against and which if you do you can avoid death.
Well said.  :smile:

Dr Funk said:

I never said remove mounted fire, for the record

I don't like cavalry much in normally. Lancers and dragoons do piss me off, a lot. But I think if anyone is mounted infantry it is heavy cav. I was on ANH_MainEvent_NW (Australian server) as heavy cav. Ended up with 47 kills and 12 deaths. I rode round, ignored dragoons on the other team (they were Russia) and kill the enemy infantry, if my horse was shot oh well, I've got my BEASTLY sword, it's a lovely weapon.

Chosen1 said:
Dr Funk said:

I never said remove mounted fire, for the record
But some people were taking the discussion to that point :razz:

Dr Funk said:
Shooting from horseback with some accuracy needed years, perhaps even a decade or two of training, which none of the soldiers in Napoleonic wars had.
On open maps with little to no cover, getting driveby by dragoon is similiar to getting randomly killed, since most dragoons prefer trying to pointblank while going on full speed - due to natural low accuracy of muskets, made even more inaccurate by shooting while riding, makes it completely luck based thing to do. This inherited inaccuracy sometimes actually works for dragoons in pointblanking drivebys - no matter how much you dodge, there's always a chance of getting shot, since you'll be in the reticule. Also, dragoons are only ranged class which can easily negate all cover but those offered by being inside of building.
When fighting dragoons matter of winning is how much Warband RNG likes you, which is quite a bad thing for skill based game.

Son0fApollo said:
I don't like cavalry much in normally. Lancers and dragoons do piss me off, a lot. But I think if anyone is mounted infantry it is heavy cav. I was on ANH_MainEvent_NW (Australian server) as heavy cav. Ended up with 47 kills and 12 deaths. I rode round, ignored dragoons on the other team (they were Russia) and kill the enemy infantry, if my horse was shot oh well, I've got my BEASTLY sword, it's a lovely weapon.
All cav is quite bad once dismounted, superior weapons are easily canceled out by your pathetic speed on foot and any decent opponent will use that to his advantage and finish you off rather quickly. Although, dismounted armored heavy cav is beastly in clearing cramped buildings, but other than that cav is quite bad on foot compared to their inf counterparts.

Oposum said:
Shooting from horseback with some accuracy needed years, perhaps even a decade or two of training, which none of the soldiers in Napoleonic wars had.
The Fact that Cavalry were harder to train and more expensive is simulated within class limits.

Oposum said:
On open maps with little to no cover, getting driveby by dragoon is similiar to getting randomly killed, since most dragoons prefer trying to pointblank while going on full speed

Open maps? Are we playing the same game? A majority of the maps in Eu-1's rotation has enterable buildings, obstacles such as fences/invisible walls, terrain. If you run across the few patches of open ground, the dragoon should not be able to sneak up on you, for as long as you use your tilde key. If you want to be safe agaisnt dragoons, stay inside the buildings.
Maps benefit Infantry more then Cavalry.

Oposum said:
Due to natural low accuracy of muskets, made even more inaccurate by shooting while riding, makes it completely luck based thing to do. This inherited inaccuracy sometimes actually works for dragoons in pointblanking drivebys - no matter how much you dodge, there's always a chance of getting shot, since you'll be in the reticule.

All shooting in this game is a majority based on luck. And If the dragoon does manage to point-blank you, its not his luck, it is because of you dont have proper situational awareness. Dodging a dragoons fire is no harder then dodging that of a infantry-player.

Oposum said:
When fighting dragoons matter of winning is how much Warband RNG likes you, which is quite a bad thing for skill based game.
You completely forgot that in order to pointblank you, the dragoon have to get within meters of you. He can often not hide, he pose more of a target, and you can, assuming that you do not ignore your tilde key, shoot him with better odds before he can shoot you. The Key, as infantry, in defending agaisnt Dragoons, is to have awareness of your surroundings. It really isn't much harder.

Talii said:
Oposum said:
The Fact that Cavalry were harder to train and more expensive is simulated within class limits.

Oposum said:
On open maps with little to no cover, getting driveby by dragoon is similiar to getting randomly killed, since most dragoons prefer trying to pointblank while going on full speed

Open maps? Are we playing the same game? A majority of the maps in Eu-1's rotation has enterable buildings, obstacles such as fences/invisible walls, terrain. If you run across the few patches of open ground, the dragoon should not be able to sneak up on you, for as long as you use your tilde key. If you want to be safe agaisnt dragoons, stay inside the buildings.
Maps benefit Infantry more then Cavalry.

Oposum said:
Due to natural low accuracy of muskets, made even more inaccurate by shooting while riding, makes it completely luck based thing to do. This inherited inaccuracy sometimes actually works for dragoons in pointblanking drivebys - no matter how much you dodge, there's always a chance of getting shot, since you'll be in the reticule.

All shooting in this game is a majority based on luck. And If the dragoon does manage to point-blank you, its not his luck, it is because of you dont have proper situational awareness. Dodging a dragoons fire is no harder then dodging that of a infantry-player.

Oposum said:
You completely forgot that in order to pointblank you, the dragoon have to get within meters of you. He can often not hide, he pose more of a target, and you can, assuming that you do not ignore your tilde key, shoot him with better odds before he can shoot you. The Key, as infantry, in defending agaisnt Dragoons, is to have awareness of your surroundings. It really isn't much harder.

What are you? The sworn Saint Protector of the Poor Dragoons? How can you not realize that firing from horseback is all shietz and not many giggles? And then even defend it? It has nothing to do with skill, you don't even effin aim.

Am I really needed to hide and camp every map, every round, 'cause then the dragoons won't be able to find me and luckshot me? And there are open maps, you silly, are you playing solely on a server with only Beach on or what? -.-

It is quite easy to understand that infantry aim in this game. That is why you act like a squirrel on acid when someone tries to pointblank you, 'cause they are aiming. Dragoons on horseback does not.

They key to defend yourself against normal cavalry is to use the tilde-key as you have a fricken bayonet and they have to come into its range to kill you. In the case of the dragoon you have one shot to kill the rider or dehorse him and then hope for the best, if you happen to be reloaded. If you are not reloaded then you are in the deep shiets and could've just ignored the tildekey in the first place.

Thokan said:
What are you? The sworn Saint Protector of the Poor Dragoons? How can you not realize that firing from horseback is all shietz and not many giggles? And then even defend it? It has nothing to do with skill, you don't even effin aim.
Nay, I'm just staunchly opposed to the massive pro-infantry sentiment within this community. And of course the dragoons aim when they shoot. They either point their reticule at you, or they position their horse so that the reticule is on you.

Thokan said:
Am I really needed to hide and camp every map, every round, 'cause then the dragoons won't be able to find me and luckshot me? And there are open maps, you silly, are you playing solely on a server with only Beach on or what? -.-

No, but like cavalry should not complain that they get killed when they run inside a building, lone infantry wandering the open grounds should not complain when they get pointblanked or backstabbed.

Thokan said:
It is quite easy to understand that infantry aim in this game. That is why you act like a squirrel on acid when someone tries to pointblank you, 'cause they are aiming. Dragoons on horseback does not.
Look at my first answer. Dragoons aim exactly as much as Infantry, either by moving their mouse or by moving their horse.

Thokan said:
They key to defend yourself against normal cavalry is to use the tilde-key as you have a fricken bayonet and they have to come into its range to kill you. In the case of the dragoon you have one shot to kill the rider or dehorse him and then hope for the best, if you happen to be reloaded. If you are not reloaded then you are in the deep shiets and could've just ignored the tildekey in the first place.

You(As in Infantry-players) have the more accurate weapon, you pose less of a target, you can enter buildings, You can use trees, rocks, ridges and fences to your cover. Dragoons Can not crouch, they are far easier to spot, and they can utilize cover in the same way.
Save your shots for as long as you can, and avoid reloading in the open. When reloading, constantly look around you.
If you actally use the tilde key, you can spot the dragoons when they are to far away to be effective, and therefore have loads of time to find cover, hide in a bush, or even reload and take aim at him. The Dragoons have the advantage of Speed.

Talii said:
Thokan said:
Nay, I'm just staunchly opposed to the massive pro-infantry sentiment within this community. And of course the dragoons aim when they shoot. They either point their reticule at you, or they position their horse so that the reticule is on you.

Thokan said:

No, but like cavalry should not complain that they get killed when they run inside a building, lone infantry wandering the open grounds should not complain when they get pointblanked or backstabbed.

Thokan said:
Look at my first answer. Dragoons aim exactly as much as Infantry, either by moving their mouse or by moving their horse.

Thokan said:

You(As in Infantry-players) have the more accurate weapon, you pose less of a target, you can enter buildings, You can use trees, rocks, ridges and fences to your cover. Dragoons Can not crouch, they are far easier to spot, and they can utilize cover in the same way.
Save your shots for as long as you can, and avoid reloading in the open. When reloading, constantly look around you.
If you actally use the tilde key, you can spot the dragoons when they are to far away to be effective, and therefore have loads of time to find cover, hide in a bush, or even reload and take aim at him. The Dragoons have the advantage of Speed.

It's funny how you always assume that everyone are biased infantry-players...

Noones arguing that dragoons or drivebys are overpowered, we are trying to point out that it's annoying part of the game based completely on luck (yes, pointing your horse so your gun is remotely pointing towards enemy is quite easier than actually aiming at something) and should be removed in favor of making dragoons dedicated and useful class instead of the weakest and most annoying class in game. For some reason you're defending shooting from horseback when there's no real reason to do so.

I like playing dragoons, but I prefer to use them as anti-cavalry, not anti-infantry. I just wait wherever enemy cavalry will be charging at and get my musket out. They come with in range and usually charge me, in which case I shoot their horse, pull out my sword, and cut them down. I don't tend to use my musket against infantry that much, unless they are distracted, or I have to get off my horse. Cavalry are to large a target to be standing still for long within range of infantry, so I generally try to keep moving and attack infantry with my sword.

I think dragoon are kinda difficult if you suck at aiming.Plus most dragoon have medium horses so they have a chance to die rather then surviving. So they are intermediate.

Back
Top Bottom