Download link and main info! [latest ver 0.0.82e -- 19 Jun 2016]

Users who are viewing this thread

clicking on a brf file does not open at all, not even right clicking and selecting openbrf as default program.

running brf before opening any file it says its the proper version

only way to open a brf is to run openbrf then click open and select the file to open

version is the proper version once i load a file in as well

yes it worked properly before i tried to update

uhm... it seems an issue with your op system, it seems it don't know how to find it anymore.
Maybe you changed openbrf folder, and the system cannot locate it anymore?
Do you get any sort of error msg? I would try "right click" on brf, "open with", "custom program...", don't just select OpenBRF from the list, but hit on "browse", reselect openbrf folder, select openbrf.exe, click ok, select "always open with this program", hit "ok".

Else, I dunno what it might ever be.

I actually have the same problem too. I can click "browse" and browse to openbrf but it wont appear on the list of programs I can open the file with for some reason. It's really quite annoying because I can do it fine on my other computer.

It look like something dependent on Windows version, Service Pack included, or, who knows what went through bill gate's mind, maybe even where OpenBRF is installed (e.g. inside "program files" or not). In XP SP3, for example, what I describe above should just work (this is what MS says: [link]

OpenBRF should be just like any other program, I don't think this is an issue with it.
Just a matter of convincing your operative system that OpenBRF is the program to associate to "BRF" file extension.
How to achieve that is not something that has anything to do with the specific program itself, I think.
If you fix this with your OS, maybe let everybody else know by posting here.

Eg, just a test: try associating BRF files to any other program (say, notepad++), see if that program opens clicking on a brf file (it won't be able to read the BRF naturally), and after that see if you can then re-associate BRF files back to OpenBrf instead. Who knows, maybe this brings back Windows to its senses.

Yeah, certainly a windows problem. Very odd. I also tried moving it to Program Files instead of Program Files (x86). I guess I'll keep playing around.

Edit: I've had a bit more of a poke around and I have a suspicion that it could be something to do with OpenBRF not appearing in "add/remove programs" in the control panel. Or lacking some sort of registration in that regard.

I vaguely remember having a similar issue here for some another program (I'm on Vista Home Premium), and that it went away upon installing Service Pack 2. Unless I'm wrong.

I'm running windows 7 64bit on both the computer that works and the one that doesn't >_> as far as I know both are also fully up to date.

Edit: Looks like I managed to fix it. I renamed the .exe file to "brfediting" and it loaded in the list with no issues...God knows why, but lets not ask any more questions of windows.

Possibly another thought on features.

At the moment, when using drop down menu to select say, a shader, a lot of the name is cut off. Any chance of an extended drop down box so we can see the whole thing?

Yoshiboy said:
I'm running windows 7 64bit on both the computer that works and the one that doesn't >_> as far as I know both are also fully up to date.

Edit: Looks like I managed to fix it. I renamed the .exe file to "brfediting" and it loaded in the list with no issues...God knows why, but lets not ask any more questions of windows.

yep i did the same thing and now it works fine as well

Every time I try installing it I get this:

!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in openBrf.exe. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in QtCore4.dll. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in QtGui4.dll. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in reference.brf. The file is corrupt
!  Cannot execute "C:\Users\<Me>\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX00.961\openBrf.exe"

I've been able to open this before...why is it not working now?

Jestus said:

!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in openBrf.exe. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in QtCore4.dll. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in QtGui4.dll. The file is corrupt
!  C:\Users\<Me>\Downloads\openBrf(2).zip: CRC failed in reference.brf. The file is corrupt

Most likely incomplete download. Try re-downloading it.

foxyman said:
Jestus said:

Most likely incomplete download. Try re-downloading it.

I've downloaded it at least 6 times and every time it's corrupt.

Although, now I only get:

I also noticed that Gui4 is the biggest file so that may have something to do with it.

><

Hi!
I'm doing new textures for existing armors.
But most armors have weird UVs, or I could need some changes at their UVs.
So I wanted to export the rigged mesh of an armor and import it to Blender for changing
the UV a bit.
But I can't import the SMD-file into Blender with the UVs of the mesh.

I have 2 options for importing:
Half Life 2 (.SMD), or SMD-Model (.smd)

The Half Life 2-Option gives me the choice between importing "static Mesh", or "static Mesh with Texture".

The first option imports the rigged mesh, but without any UVs.
The second option ends with an import error:
Excepting image "texture-name" in same directory as the SMD

Script terminated. There might be unfinished imported objects in your current project.
I put the asked texture in many different kinds into the same folder and it still doesn't work...

The "SMD-Model (.smd)"-import doesn't do anything.

So what do I have to do?!
I only want to import a unwrapped, rigged mesh, so I can adjust the UVs a bit,
or add some tiny details to the mesh -.-

Update! The reason for this update is that I felt we needed something like that, in the Dev of TLD (you know, the Lord of The Ring module).
From the 1st page...

ver 0.0.45 (24 Sept 2010): 
- scan the entire module .TXT files (some ten of them) to find out what is actually used in the module (both WB and M&B)
- added "used By" submenu , to navigate from an object (meshes, materials...) to any objects using it
  (e.g. from a material to any mesh using it, etc). Find it by right clicking on any object.
- in the same submenu, you can see what TXT file, if any, is using that object (directly or indirectly)
- highlight objects (meshes, materials, ...) which are actually used by the module (F3, or look in Module menu)
  (also if an object can be safety removed -- not used by other ob, is lightened)
- warning given when saving common-res files
- Module Menu revamp:
--  command to choose a Brf inside current module (including ones non included in module.ini)
    (also shows how many used/unused objects they contain)
--  command to list unreferenced texture-files sitting on disk (e.g. DDS)
--  command to show module statistics
--  added .txt related errors to Error reported by "scan module for errors"

A little more details...:

1- Scanning module txts

Now openbrf will scan (if you ask it) .txts module files to find out what is really used.

Specifically, the scanned files are:
Code:
  "actions.txt", "skins.txt", "item_kinds1.txt", "meshes.txt", "map_icons.txt",        
  "scene_props.txt", "particle_systems.txt", "tableau_materials.txt",
  "flora_kinds.txt", "ground_specs.txt",  "skyboxes.txt", 
that is, anything that contains a mesh, a material, a collision object, a skeleton, etc etc.

In theory that's done both for M&B (ver 1.011 -- last ver)  and fro WarBand, but my copy of warband is a little old
so let me know if it doesn't like it

Warning: if you use Iron Launcher, you know that the last three txt files of that list, and cure_resources, are kept in your mod dir and used only when needed, to substitute hard-coded files. Be sure they are where the games wants them, in order for OpenBRF to find them (not where the Iron Launcher keeps them).

2- Error reporting

Now that OpenBRF knows what is actually required, any missing thing is reported, in the "Scan for Error" dialog (togheter with other internal inconsistencies that were reported also before, like a mesh requiring a non-existing material).

3- Color coding

Also, the item list of the left will be become colorcoded: objects that are actually used have the name displayed in bold and in dark-blue. The same if the object is used indirectly (e.g. the game uses a mesh, and that mesh uses a material, which uses a shader: that shader is used "indirectly").
On the contrary, objects not used by the module, are displayed in Gray.
Objects that not used by any other object either, are a lighter gray.

To activate the coloring just press F3 (and wait that txt files and all BRF files are scanned).
It is not automatic because,  when you don't need that,  I wanted to keep the loading very fast.
(btw -- the color coding is active whenever the files have been scanned, for whatever reason)

4- What uses what: "Used By" sub-menu

It is easy to find out why an object has a color: right click on it and check the submenu: "Used By". That shows all other Objects using that object (you can open them by selecting them), and, in italics, any txt file module file needing that object (in any) -- e.g. you can see the sword is used in the module "items" file.

A good use for that is finding out why you still need a texture that you believed you removed from the game.
Another use is to navigate: go from a Material to any mesh using it, for example.
Another use of that is that you can check that the neat sword mesh you did is actually being used in the mod.

5- Caveats about removing "useless" things

IMPORTANT NOTE:  the game scans all objects inside BRF files listed in Module.ini, even if they are not used.
If object A (not used by the module, but listed in module.ini), needs object B (also not used) -- (e.g. a material needing a texture, or a mesh needing a material), and B is removed but A kept, then the game still will not start, complaining about B not being there!

In short: a useless Object that is used by other useless objects, cannot be removed, unless you remove also the objects using it.

Also, BEWARE: some object (mesh, material) could be used by some hardwired mechanism, so, even if it is shown in gray ("not used"), it is actually needed by the game. For example, I think map materials (e.g. map_ocean, map_plain) are in this category. All objects inside "core_" files are assumed to be used, BTW.

6- Other Options in Module Menu

With Selet a Brf in Module you can list all module BRFs, and  the BRF that are inside module Resource folder but are not listed by module.ini.  You can see how many objs are being used inside, e.g. you can identify what "commonRes" stuff you don't need anymore. Clearly clicking of one file opens it.

With another command, you can list "unreferenced" texture files (.dds), i.e. files that are not listed in any BRF files. These files are not loaded by the module, so they don't slow down game loading time, but you want to remove them to slim down your module. Also MadVader module verifier does that, BTW (and much more -- e.g. same for sounds)! But I imagined it would be fine to have that functionality here too.

The "stats" command is useful to doublecheck the global status of the module, and to double check that the txt files were read correctly.

Back
Top Bottom