Download link and main info! [latest ver 0.0.82e -- 19 Jun 2016]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dain: I wasn't referring that you needed a tut to import, but I was pointing out that the tutorial (which also explained some stuff about coding the animations for those of us who are still learning - of course no one needs a tut to import!) mentioned that the bones were misrotated in 3ds - but otherwise the SMD still works for openBRF. I had assumed that you probably experienced the same thing in 3ds but for all purposes the SMD still works.

It was not my intention to impugn you or say that your skills are so low that you need a tutorial to import. I'm glad it works for you, but I hope that it'll work for me too since I can't afford 3ds and never in my dreams would I wish that it would work just for my sake at the expense of others either.

Dang, those tools are from ice age. :razz: I'll try to find other Importers / Exporters.

I've found they work the best though. Always kept rigging data on imported SMDs etc. Clearly work better than the tool your using now for importing skeletons as well.. give it a go.

Good to know! That image explains me everything (the compared blender exports screenshots by amade), and now I know what to do...

If you are curious ask, I can digress quite a bit about what is going on...
anyway, thanks to all. I'll be able to code again this afternoon and I'm confident I'll fix it for good.

I have one problem, i imported smaller skeleton in smd but it is now much more bigger then normal....iexported it in 1.0 or 0.1 scale but it is still giant in openBRF

mtarini said:
Good to know! That image explains me everything (the compared blender exports screenshots by amade), and now I know what to do...

If you are curious ask, I can digress quite a bit about what is going on...
anyway, thanks to all. I'll be able to code again this afternoon and I'm confident I'll fix it for good.

Well, yes I am indeed curious  :mrgreen:

Is the problem specific to our importer scripts or is it something universal?

Dain Ironfoot said:
I've found they work the best though. Always kept rigging data on imported SMDs etc. Clearly work better than the tool your using now for importing skeletons as well.. give it a go.

I just got 3ds Max 7, downloaded the Import&Export script for it and tried to import a animation. The bones are still messed up... however, it's a lot more understandable.

37718500.jpg

i have a really stupid problem with this, how do i export smd files. It doesn't give me te option export vertex ani doesn't work and export static mesh doesn't give me the .smd option

the first post definatly says that this works when exporting/importing .smd so how do i do it?

Ok, I'm back...

Question: which one of the following dataset looks better for your tastes when imported, if any?
I would like this to be testes in both in 3DS and in Blender if possible
(and, if you can, Maya. Can Maya import them? Does anybody has maya?)

http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~tarini/files/mab/tryme.zip

Dain Ironfoot: I expect that it does not make any difference for you...

LordRaglan: most functionalities are hidden in the context menus: right click on the item you want to export (in the list of the left).

Here are the test results:

tryme1_rpt.jpg

tryme1_axes_rpt.jpg

tryme2_rpt.jpg

tryme2_axes_rpt.jpg

Getting warmer methinks...

edit: hang on, I'll post screenshots of it with axes enabled.
Done. Dunno if it helps, hopefully it does!

Geroj said:
I have one problem, i imported smaller skeleton in smd but it is now much more bigger then normal....iexported it in 1.0 or 0.1 scale but it is still giant in openBRF

I wanted to bump this since Geroj and I were working on skeletons.  Has anybody tried them yet?

edit:  also, is there a way to see the frame number when looking at animations?  or a slide bar at the bottom so I could manually move it back and forth?  I wanted to try and use some sequence numbers from existing animations but I'm not sure what frame they start at, etc.

Oops! I just found this out!

I was testing out the internal reference data editor, and noticed that the orientation of the static meshes (helmet and gauntlets) has changed:
openBRF0010_bugrpt_anim.jpg

For another model I tested where its boots were not rigged but were separate objects they were also orientated the wrong way around in this view.

I was wondering why the head, hand and feet bones look like it's turned the wrong way in the tryme SMDs. Could this be the cause?
Note: The reference data using the rigged and static meshes that came preloaded in openBRF still displays alright. It's when you add static items into the reference skin set that you'll see this happen.

HokieBT: You can see in the data panel under the part where your vert and face count is displayed you can flick through the available frames and at what time they're set at. My bad, mtarini's clarified it below.

mtarini
, here are the screenshots from 3ds Max using your tryme stuff. Notice the hand/feet bones are slightly different.

tryme1armor.jpg

tryme1skel.jpg

tryme1skel2.jpg
tryme2armor.jpg

tryme2skel.jpg

tryme2skel2.jpg

Amade
, it's a zombie. :razz:
cdvader

cdvader said:

mtarini
, here are the screenshots from 3ds Max using your tryme stuff. Notice the hand/feet bones are slightly different.
The orientation looks exactly the same as mine, 'cept that your hand and feet bones are now shorter. Does the length of the bone matter in 3ds? Does it specify the amount of influence around it?

cdvader said:

Amade
, it's a zombie. :razz:
cdvader

:lol:

Ok, can you try which one of the files 3 and 4 looks better for your tastes? Thanks!

http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~tarini/files/mab/tryme.zip

I still wish I had a feedback from maya user by the way (can they import the SMD? do we need another file format?)

Tech note: let's de-mistify bones: what 3DS or Blender is showing you are just 3D glyphs, i.e. 3D commodity shapes that you use to rotate etc bones. It is totally arbitrary which axis is elected  and how big they are. Dain is not necessarily using a better filter, he is just ignoring the issue. Fragmotion, likewise, does not have that "issue" because its glyphs are equilateral octaedra, w/o an axis longer than the others. But, I want the bones to look nice in blender and 3DS too! Hence the scaling factor, hence the many attempts to guess the axis that blender/max elected as "this is the main axis of the bone". In reality, bones are just bases of vectorial spaces, there is no "special axis", but, for some reason, the two programs adopt a conventions according to which the "Y" (say) axis of that space is the longitudinal axis of the (biologically metaphoric) "bone".

amade: thanks! that's fixed already, as soon as I polish and post the next version (but you'll need to recompose your decomposed skin -- nice work BTW!)

Geroi: where did you get the overscaled skeleton? was it exported by openBRF?

HokieBT: there is no such frame counter for now... the one you see is for vectorial animation only.
You can see the total frame number and the total interval (but not the gaps)...
I imagined that we all had powerful program to see animation better...
Did you try to break the animation in one of the two possible ways to do that?

Awright! Tryme3 works best:
tryme3_rpt.jpg

And just for the sake of completion, here's what tryme4 looks like:
tryme4_rpt.jpg

Much thanks, mtarini! Oh, and thanks for the detailed explanation too, though I have to admit there's plenty of bits I don't really understand but I think I get the gist of it. Lookin' forward for the next version. Now my only problem is the new exporter script which openBRF won't accept its output. I'm still waiting for the guy who made the script to reply my email... hopefully he's still active.

Hi Guys,

thats my first post, but i'm reading on this forum for some time now, since i bought M&B.

I myself worked on an brf-Editor but two days after i started, i saw this thread and this great Editor and stopped working on it.

I wanted to test the new possibilities of the editor and because i'm working with blender, i have written an exporter for blender to brf's.

It's possible to export the mesh, the skeleton and the skeleton-animation to seperate brf's.

Here is the link:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/dirk_schulz/blendertobrf/brf_export.py

copy it to this path: "(path to blender)\.blender\scripts"

please test it, if your using blender and tell me if there are any bugs!

eierkopf

Back
Top Bottom