Download link and discussion *PF_1.0 download link here*

Users who are viewing this thread

you shouldn't be allowed to kill without reason at all! Sure it may not be as realistic but it would ruin the game.

pod455 said:
you shouldn't be allowed to kill without reason at all! Sure it may not be as realistic but it would ruin the game.

I had that way of thinking for a long time, I still do kind of. But at the same time, we shouldn't let people hide behind rules as a safeguard. The Frontier was a dangerous land, you took a risk every time you stepped foot outside a safe, guarded area. If there is someone going around killing people in the Forest, players should band together and hunt them down. Making unguarded areas dangerous will mean players will have to band together, and hopefully RP even more than if their were rules to protect them.

At the same time, I want to protect those who can't protect themselves, meaning you can't just randomly shoot an unarmed person, however, they can be robbed.

If someone has any constructive suggestions feel free to post.

what about natives have an area to themselves and if a ARMED player comes into their land they can kill them without reason

Austro said:
you can't just randomly shoot an unarmed person, however, they can be robbed.

The only flaw with that is that of course they're going to get robbed instead if there's a rule protecting them from getting KOS'd. And if a person is going to want to defend himself from getting robbed he's going to bring a weapon, but at the same time that weapon will also bring another weakness: Danger of getting KOS'd.

But sure, you could try going with this rule for some time when the mod's released and see what people think about it.

pod455 said:
what about natives have an area to themselves and if a ARMED player comes into their land they can kill them without reason

I like this idea. Unless there was going to be a raid(which would be known to all at the time, so who would go out there) If someone wondered into Native territory visibly armed then they should be allowed to be KOSed by Natives or the people of the faction. If it's not in the territory then you can't KOS, only Rob. even if visibly armed.

Just asking did anyone ever play without a strictly enforced RDMing rules ?

No ? Well that why few want to try without it, a matter of not being used to.
With a proper safe spawn you could actually let it go as long as you punish people (ingame no money drop and outlaw point) for killing a teammate

If people have no use into killing teamate (AKA in the same camp/fort/village) and have to group up to survive outside it will lead to teamplay

Also the grinding is way less important in this mod since the economy is VERY simple comparativly to PW mod
I would do this in weekend trial and judge after this.

But as i said, Austro, you need to set up SAFE spawn (room with one way teleporter ) to prevent spawn killing instead of relying on faillable admin

The thing regarding RDMing is that it happens because there is a rule against it. Remove the rule and it may start out rough, but eventually the fun of it will die down and it will be fine. If a certain RDMer get's too bad, someone can just take and cap him anyways, correct?

Austro said:
How about this,

You must have a valid RP reason to kill someone within a safe haven

You must have a valid RP reason to kill an UNARMED person outside a safe haven.

This way, people carrying arms need to watch their back when they are travelling, yet, unarmed people are safe from catching a musket ball to the face.

Valid RP is a very grey area, you'd have to define what a valid RP reason would be for killing someone. If you just say that and don't provide valid RP reasons than people will kill someone because they "looked at him the wrong way" or for other stupid reasons.

Aldric said:

With a proper safe spawn you could actually let it go as long as you punish people (ingame no money drop and outlaw point) for killing a teammate

If people have no use into killing teamate (AKA in the same camp/fort/village) and have to group up to survive outside it will lead to teamplay

Also the grinding is way less important in this mod since the economy is VERY simple comparativly to PW mod

But as i said, Austro, you need to set up SAFE spawn (room with one way teleporter ) to prevent spawn killing instead of relying on faillable admin
I played on a few servers where there were no rules against randoming and the servers died within days because people were just constantly fighting. So your point is invalid there by saying it's a matter of unfamiliarity with a rule set like that.

Well, if I said " Random Death Match, you may not kill someone for no reason " That would fall into the same category as " Looking at them funny "

A " Valid" RP reason would be:

Refusing to halt

Insulting

Stealing a Horse

Defending yourself

Stopping chest robbery

Refusing to leave an area, or being told to leave an area.

Refusing to give gold for tax / robbery or being told to give gold for tax / robbery

Told to drop your equipment

Someone refusing to drop their equipment

....  I could go on and on, you can't really envision every single game play scenario, but given those scenerios an admin would have to use their gut feeling to deem if it was valid or not, that's why we have admins.

fireheart said:
Aldric said:

I played on a few servers where there were no rules against randoming and the servers died within days because people were just constantly fighting. So your point is invalid there by saying it's a matter of unfamiliarity with a rule set like that.

With no safe spawn, and a low population it's cannot work.
If people are randomed at spawn when there is not enough players to group up and deal with randiomers then it's will be a problem

Which server you played on  ? SF server ? NA server ?

EDIT : Austro
....  I could go on and on, you can't really envision every single game play scenario, but given those scenerios an admin would have to use their gut feeling to deem if it was valid or not, that's why we have admins.
Based on 1 year and half, the more the grey zone are large, the more you open to arbitrary choice, corruption and "laywer" mindset for players

Austro said:
Freighttrain4 said:
If there is no RDM rule then this mod will definitely die.

There is an RDM rule, but we're discussing who should be protected by it if anyone at all.

I know there is one currently in place. but the poll suggest that people want to get rid of the RDM rule. Without any RDM rule the mod will plummet.

RDM carries so much "negative energy" from how it is used in pw servers, like attacking someone without initiating conversation first is rdm on trojan, which makes rdm a taboo term for supporters of lax rules. That is why people want to get rid of it... i think.

But really rdm by itself is part of being in character and simply means that you need have an ic reason to kill someone, of course than you have to get rid of "troll rp" like"he looked at me funnys so i killed him"

Back
Top Bottom