Does this game hate me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Striptokop

Sergeant at Arms
In almost all mods I used to play I played as an individual ruler and had no problem with that. Recently, since the release of new versions PoP and Perisno, I wanted to try something diffirent and play as a devoted vassal of a certain faction. And then it started... It began in PoP 3.8, where I started to play as Sarleon vassal — my kindom was wrecked by everyone and despite doing my best by resolving "peace" quests I gave up after being at constant war on 3-4 fronts. I started a new character and joined D'Shar and guess what? Sarleon and Empire owned my chosen kingdom, I was literally the only one who defended and captured castles back -- marshall forces were very low and I gave up already.

Now, as for Perisno: After 0.8 hit I stared playing as Bakhal giant. We were at war with Reich, who destroyed Sut and half of the Drahara, and, no matter what my efford was, we couldn't hold after multiple sieges and I quit. My next playthorigh was being a Reich Knight. Reich Des Drachen is one of the strongest factions, right? Wrong. A month after my oath we lost 4 castles to Drahara (3 of them I took back), as well 2 castles to Valahir and, most importantly, Reichberg, which I am sieging right now. My lords do absolutely nothing, feast 24/7 and refuse to support me as a marchal (I have high relations with at least 5 of them).

Obviously I doubt that there is a rigged script or whatever in the core game that makes the player's faction extremely weak/dumb, however I happens all the time. Am I really that unlucky?

I don't know about Perisno, but in Pendor, it's just random.
Playing for the underdog can always be fun, though. I deliberately joined the dwarves in one of my playhtroughs, just to help them and prevent them from being curbstomped by the Hakkons early on in my game.

Striptokop said:
In almost all mods I used to play I played as an individual ruler and had no problem with that. Recently, since the release of new versions PoP and Perisno, I wanted to try something diffirent and play as a devoted vassal of a certain faction. And then it started... It began in PoP 3.8, where I started to play as Sarleon vassal — my kindom was wrecked by everyone and despite doing my best by resolving "peace" quests I gave up after being at constant war on 3-4 fronts. I started a new character and joined D'Shar and guess what? Sarleon and Empire owned my chosen kingdom, I was literally the only one who defended and captured castles back -- marshall forces were very low and I gave up already.

Now, as for Perisno: After 0.8 hit I stared playing as Bakhal giant. We were at war with Reich, who destroyed Sut and half of the Drahara, and, no matter what my efford was, we couldn't hold after multiple sieges and I quit. My next playthorigh was being a Reich Knight. Reich Des Drachen is one of the strongest factions, right? Wrong. A month after my oath we lost 4 castles to Drahara (3 of them I took back), as well 2 castles to Valahir and, most importantly, Reichberg, which I am sieging right now. My lords do absolutely nothing, feast 24/7 and refuse to support me as a marchal (I have high relations with at least 5 of them).

Obviously I doubt that there is a rigged script or whatever in the core game that makes the player's faction extremely weak/dumb, however I happens all the time. Am I really that unlucky?
Just how high is your renown? It's your proof for them you can lead troops to victory. They won't support until they have no other options if you don't have high relations with the Kaiser, say 30 at least. Like most powerful troops, Riech troops are only powerful if the player is in the field with them. Autocalc wise, Oskar's Drachenmeisters lose their benefits they would have in the field. In the field, those guys turn every army into mincemeat and just one of those guys can fatally disrupt a formation. Either way, you should take advantage of the weakened Riech, allow people to take more towns so you can retake them for your own. Riechberg as you mentioned is a great town to defend because of the siege tower and archer nest that forms on the right flank of the walls. Rebel once the Kaiser thinks you've gotten enough. Be sure to have great relations with Herzog Oskar and Baron Hermann, these guys are their best vassals and should always be martial, so they will turn if they don't have land. Gereon is a great vassal if he's upstanding too but he sometimes is cunning, so it depends on your luck at the start.

beanywalrus said:
Striptokop said:

Just how high is your renown? It's your proof for them you can lead troops to victory. They won't support until they have no other options if you don't have high relations with the Kaiser, say 30 at least. Like most powerful troops, Riech troops are only powerful if the player is in the field with them. Autocalc wise, Oskar's Drachenmeisters lose their benefits they would have in the field. In the field, those guys turn every army into mincemeat and just one of those guys can fatally disrupt a formation. Either way, you should take advantage of the weakened Riech, allow people to take more towns so you can retake them for your own. Riechberg as you mentioned is a great town to defend because of the siege tower and archer nest that forms on the right flank of the walls. Rebel once the Kaiser thinks you've gotten enough. Be sure to have great relations with Herzog Oskar and Baron Hermann, these guys are their best vassals and should always be martial, so they will turn if they don't have land. Gereon is a great vassal if he's upstanding too but he sometimes is cunning, so it depends on your luck at the start.

Thank you for the reply. I am aware of renown importance, it isn't that high right now, however it was very high in my previous playtrhoughs. I also see that there is no other way to do, only to rebel. Will probably do that/

I have found you can build up honour and renown quicker on your own, so when you start by joining a faction, it seems to take longer to get up to speed, though I expect it depends on your style of play.
Try starting off on your own, and when you have a small kingdom, by which time you should have a high renown and honour, then join a kingdom.
It is the randomness of Warband that makes replay such fun, but like any gambling, how the game initialises when it starts up, can make a dramatic difference to how it plays out, but in the end, it is you who can turn a pathetic kingdom into glory and greatness  :shock: :wink:

OK, I've been resisting this since this thread started, and just can't anymore:

:twisted:  YES!  :twisted:

As anyone who plays this mod can attest, this mod well and truly hates anyone who plays it! :mrgreen:
And that is what makes it so fun! :fruity:

If you want tender, loving care, stick with Native! :razz:

If you're hurting for troops, remember there is always the mercenary guild where you can get ~100 custom recruits that turn out to be the "jack of all trades" troops. Also, be sure to check frequently for other mercs. Last time I went there I found 4 Elintoran Elites and 3 Perisno Runed Knights :eek:

OldGreyBeard said:
OK, I've been resisting this since this thread started, and just can't anymore:

:twisted:  YES!  :twisted:

As anyone who plays this mod can attest, this mod well and truly hates anyone who plays it! :mrgreen:
And that is what makes it so fun! :fruity:

If you want tender, loving care, stick with Native! :razz:

Speak for yourself. I've been practically cruising down the fast lane.

I just had to abuse the right opportunities...

beanywalrus said:
If you're hurting for troops, remember there is always the mercenary guild where you can get ~100 custom recruits that turn out to be the "jack of all trades" troops. Also, be sure to check frequently for other mercs. Last time I went there I found 4 Elintoran Elites and 3 Perisno Runed Knights :eek:

I have a very good army actually, I have to basically solo every enemy lord, because our vassals are too busy getting captured by alone and refusing to help defend\attack settlements.

As Talinoth said, all I have to do is to wait for the right moment and do it myself (well, Oscar also helps quite a bit).

Perisno makes it VERY easy to join as a vassal REALLY early on... I think you can ride up to any liege, even the Geldarin elves, or Aru-lol chieftain, and offer to be their vassal and they will gladly accept you (duh, because they're the smallest and weakest, and need every vassal). Don't do it, because all the minor factions (this includes giants and dwarves) are really weak and won't stand up to the real nations (Reich, Empire, Elintor, Tolrania, Maccavia), let alone the overpowered douchebags that are Falcons.

It's also a good idea to bump your renown to 1100+ (2k is better), before joining anyone as a vassal, then you can take whatever fiefs you want early on and it'll be massively easier to get lords to support you and make you marshal.

As soon as they make you marshal, gather up all the lords and blitzkrieg the enemy. Don't stop, take every nearby castle and town, but feel free to leave most of them as empty bait to distract the AI, and tell one or two lords to sit in the important fiefs (towns/key castles that you want to keep).

Don't bring your best elites, travel light with a small party to provoke the enemy into chasing you into your loyal blob of lords, feed them prisoners, etc, etc.
Capture all the bad-tempered and sadistic lords and toss them in your dungeon to rot forever, release all the martial, upstanding and good-natured ones. It's a good opportunity to build up honor and relations for your eventual independency.

I remember that when I played the Mount and Blade version of "Gotta catch 'em all", I lost Honour every time I refused a ransom offer. I also lost relations with every single family member of that lord. For that reason, I found it a bit of a pain in the ass.

I'd agree that keeping enemy Monarchs locked up permanently (if you're rich enough to give up the grand ransom money) is a great idea - because they can't appoint a new marshal if they're rotting away in your dungeons - and locking up the Marshal is also a great idea. If you capture those two individuals, you've essentially won the war.

If you capture just the King, the Marshal can still (as far as I can tell) still call campaigns and rally deathstacks of lords to your doorstep.
If you capture just the Marshal, the King appoints a new one after a day or two.

But take out both, and the enemy is easy prey even if they massively outnumber you.

Capturing both Queen Arwen and Archduke Methenor was what essentially catapulted me to victory over the Elintor even though I could never face their army directly.

A-and after my promotion to marchall and capturing 4 castles and countless enemy lords, my stupid king made peace with Drahara.

I think I am done. Gonna rebel as soon as Zann appear, screw the chivalry and honor.

Striptokop said:
A-and after my promotion to marchall and capturing 4 castles and countless enemy lords, my stupid king made peace with Drahara.

I think I am done. Gonna rebel as soon as Zann appear, screw the chivalry and honor.
Have you invested in Persuasion at all? You can always drag Kaiser Otto into a war on 5 fronts right before you rebel :twisted: :twisted:

beanywalrus said:
Striptokop said:

Have you invested in Persuasion at all? You can always drag Kaiser Otto into a war on 5 fronts right before you rebel :twisted: :twisted:

I have 5 persuation. I am planning to do that, right now I am building up relations with powerful Drachen and Tolranian lords.

Yozzer said:
I have found you can build up honour and renown quicker on your own, so when you start by joining a faction, it seems to take longer to get up to speed, though I expect it depends on your style of play.
Try starting off on your own, and when you have a small kingdom, by which time you should have a high renown and honour, then join a kingdom.
It is the randomness of Warband that makes replay such fun, but like any gambling, how the game initialises when it starts up, can make a dramatic difference to how it plays out, but in the end, it is you who can turn a pathetic kingdom into glory and greatness  :shock: :wink:

As far as starting out, I almost always do what Yozzer said.  I start by doing the arena over and over (a lot sometimes) until I can buy mediocre gear, a good lance, and a good horse (plus a few levels and weapon prof. gains help a lot, too).  Then I run around winning tournaments, steam rolling any small parties I come across solo (because Lances are amazing).  Every town I win a tourney in, I open a shop.  Once I have enough money, I start hitting the taverns looking for companions, and make my way to the Merc. Guild (who now has tons of recruits) and everyone gets a Mace (lol).  Smash some more armies, gather some Refugees and Farmers (for Priestesses and Bounty Hunters).  I'll wait until I get a faction invite and take it (I like the randomness).

By this time, income isn't a problem (shops), cash isn't a problem (usually entire armies are KO'ed), I let my companions pick gear before I loot so they're pretty well off on gear, and you'll have well over 2k renown.  Whenever a fief or the Marshal position is open, I ask the King/Queen who they favor and simply agree for the relation (among other ways).  Eventually, you'll get the marshal position and it's smooth sailing, especially in battles so everyone doesn't just charge in or dance around like an idiot.

I release the good lords, take the douche lords.  If your faction is getting trounced - let them, it means the enemy is probably running around with some elite troops you can rescue.  Really, the only trouble I ever have (aside my dying video card) is choosing what banner to pick.  =/

Yeah, with enough Persuasion, they'll nearly always agree with you to a war.  As a member of Falcon, I dragged Gunnar into a war twice.  I then steam rolled through the Zann as Marshal, and then rebelled once he felt I was too controversial, and stopped giving me Fiefs. 

-Hawk

A couple of notes.  One way to help build renown steadily if you have a town is to construct a university.  +20 renown per week per town adds up quickly in addition to what you may receive from quests.

Also, construct Messenger Post anytime you are able to do so.  It doesn't just notify you a place is under attack, it also notifies your nobles.  With a martial Marshal who has a high renown of his own leading your armies, you will often find him arriving with the bulk of your forces in time to save the village, castle or town themselves or tying up the enemy force long enough for you to arrive and turn the tide of battle definitively in your favor.

You are still going to have some of your lords getting picked off on their own, even if you are reinforcing them with elite troops you trained yourself, but you will find they can stand up longer, maybe just long enough for help to arrive.

Also, consider training and assembling your own patrols.  I train forces of 300+ top tier troops and than have my advisor pull them from the garrison as a patrol.  They can stand up to a force 2 to 3 times their size and hold out for a while against larger foes.  I tend to field them in groups of two around key towns or passes.  It is costly but shatters the warbands of individual enemy warlords as well as can defeat some of the unique NPC character lead armies without my having to travel halfway across the continent.  Just remember to keep them reinforced from time to time.  Add troop types with decent healing skills and you make them even more effective by reducing casualties.

I managed to fight the Reich, Zann and Drahara empires to a standstill when all three declared war upon me and force them to accept a truce because they couldn't take any of my towns or castles.

I feel you bro. Same thing happened to me..Only difference is, i started as Sut giants.With only 6 vassals it's impossible to win with Sut giants.Reich's full military force is like 2.5k soldiers or something (not counting ones defending fortresses).They are only in war against me, but when i created character and joined Reich army, guess what..they got in war with several factions and are losing hard :grin:

Back
Top Bottom