Does the game actually improve?

Users who are viewing this thread

So a while ago I resigned from playing Bannerlord, since there just wasnt any real big contend coming and it just got repetetive and boring for me. I allways read the patch notes, but 90% of it seems to be bug fixes and 10% minor changes. No matter how much gets fixed, it seems like the amount of bugs isn't getting any less at all. Of course you cant add much new content, if the game isnt even working right in its current state. So is there light at the end of the tunnel or is it still as bugged as it ever was and no new content is going to be added any time soon?

So a while ago I resigned from playing Bannerlord, since there just wasnt any real big contend coming and it just got repetetive and boring for me. I allways read the patch notes, but 90% of it seems to be bug fixes and 10% minor changes. No matter how much gets fixed, it seems like the amount of bugs isn't getting any less at all. Of course you cant add much new content, if the game isnt even working right in its current state. So is there light at the end of the tunnel or is it still as bugged as it ever was and no new content is going to be added any time soon?

It depends on how you manage your cognitive biases.

Those whom have decided it isn't quite up to scratch are likely to continue thinking it isn't god enough until they get their exact desires, after which they will look for something else to gripe about. These people will continue to complain that it lacks features, lacks soul or what ever grumble, because it is an opinion that they feel deeply, so is difficult to change. When they find bugs, they complain to the world about them in the forum to other people, because bugs reinforce their bias.

Those who love the game will probably continue to do so and love each iteration for the new features it brings. It would take something truly game breaking for them to dislike the game, because they're excited about each new set of features. When they find bugs they report them in the support forum, because they want to help the game proceed.

I tend towards the latter, but really, only you can answer your question.

Those whom have decided it isn't quite up to scratch are likely to continue thinking it isn't god enough until they get their exact desires, after which they will look for something else to gripe about. These people will continue to complain that it lacks features, lacks soul or what ever grumble, because it is an opinion that they feel deeply, so is difficult to change. When they find bugs, they complain to the world about them in the forum to other people, because bugs reinforce their bias.

Those who love the game will probably continue to do so and love each iteration for the new features it brings. It would take something truly game breaking for them to dislike the game, because they're excited about each new set of features. When they find bugs they report them in the support forum, because they want to help the game proceed.

Well, not exactly "not getting what we want" it's the problem. For example, we got Prison Breaks, something missing from Warband, and yeah we got that, the problem is that the feature doesn't work correctly, or if it does, it's poorly done and requires no strategy or thought. That's personally my problem with this game, it's that it's doesn't requires you to take meaningful choices, and adding more "features" seems like it's not fixing that problem at all. It really shows you tend toward the latter because you make us seem like criticizing the game has to do with us wanting the game to be something is not instead of the game being lackluster in many areas.

If you ask me White, the game is just like before with a few additions here and there, but the core gameplay hasn't changed and it won't until a good time, but that Bannerlord Online mod is out there and it might be fun to try, I recommend you doing that

I am not belonging to either group you mentioned. I am no blindly in love with the series and overlook all the problems it has, but I am quite confident, that the game will meet my expectations with a few important features, that its currently still lacking. I read about the features TW wants to add to the game and IF they would get implemented, it would make quite the difference for me! The problem is, that these features don't seem to get implemented. They were talking about these things since month and finally told me, its going to be added "very soon". This is 5 weeks ago now. I know its TW, but I am just fed up with the false hopes and time stretching. How long will it take them to make the game stable enough for some new content? A month? Five? A year? There is just no hint to that at all for me. I was hoping, that others might see some change for the better, because I don't.

If you ask me White, the game is just like before with a few additions here and there, but the core gameplay hasn't changed and it won't until a good time, but that Bannerlord Online mod is out there and it might be fun to try, I recommend you doing that
I have played the multiplayer a lot, but sadly its basically the same thing. Its way more stable than the singleplayer and I think it should be possible to add some new features there, like voice chat, ranking system and duel mode, which we are all eagerly waiting for. But they are too busy fixing singleplayer bugs I guess, which is very annoying, since the multiplayer is opposed to the singleplayer quite playable in my opinion (playable but getting boring because the lack of features).

@WhiteEyedSh4rk I think we took a break around the same time. I gave 1.5.9 a try and honestly the game is fundamentally the same. There's a few additions like sandbox mode which are nice I guess, but I wouldn't say that it makes for a different experience than it did before I stopped playing last time.

I have played the multiplayer a lot, but sadly its basically the same thing. Its way more stable than the singleplayer and I think it should be possible to add some new features there, like voice chat, ranking system and duel mode, which we are all eagerly waiting for. But they are too busy fixing singleplayer bugs I guess, which is very annoying, since the multiplayer is opposed to the singleplayer quite playable in my opinion (playable but getting boring because the lack of features).
Mmm no I meant Bannerlord Online the MOD, it's a mod that turns single player into an mmo in a server that fits 800 players.

I am not belonging to either group you mentioned. I am no blindly in love with the series and overlook all the problems it has, but I am quite confident, that the game will meet my expectations with a few important features, that its currently still lacking. I read about the features TW wants to add to the game and IF they would get implemented, it would make quite the difference for me! The problem is, that these features don't seem to get implemented. They were talking about these things since month and finally told me, its going to be added "very soon". This is 5 weeks ago now. I know its TW, but I am just fed up with the false hopes and time stretching. How long will it take them to make the game stable enough for some new content? A month? Five? A year? There is just no hint to that at all for me. I was hoping, that others might see some change for the better, because I don't.
5 weeks. You haven't worked in a development studio have you.

Very soon could be a year. If they haven't put a date on it, don't wait up for it. And if there's an open beta version and you're worried about delays, go to the support forum and you'll get a clear idea on where the delays are: For example, 1.5.8 introduced a new system for managing images, unfortunately it also introduced a bug that was not common enough to be picked up in closed beta, but was common enough in open beta that it had to be fixed. The bug was so deeply enmeshed in the new system that it took 3 hot fixes and a month to repair - which puts following deliverables back a month.

One of the positives of the way TW are running the EA, is that they are heavily engaging with the community in a way that most other developers don't do - they post here every day and we've seen plenty of community recommendations make it into the game. Unfortunately, this is also the downside, as it creates unrealistic expectations and entitlements within the community, that in turn create those cognitive biases I mentioned earlier. Boy who cried wolf.

Ideally, you want to under promise and over deliver. Sometimes by the nature of what they're creating, and based on how open they have been about their ambitions, they get caught out doing the opposite, as their hopes smack directly into the realities of their studio management structure and it's requirements.

I mostly just want troops to be able to use siege ladders (i.e. not standing at the bottom to be slaughtered by archers). Also troops spawning mid-battlefield isn't a very good system - larger evenly matched army battles can be quite tedious since it's less tactics and more "spawn management". Smithing could use a lot of refinement too, but as long it stops being the "money printing" skill that suits me just fine.

That's really just 3 things for me. And while spawns may be subjective, I don't think the current state of Smithing and Siege A.I. can really be excused after a year of EA. Both of these are glaring issues even to those with little game experience, and are frankly going to turn new and returning players away in droves. (Oh and Bartering too, but let's not go there.)

I could go on about all the little things (meaningful dialogue, party screen sorting, etc.) that I would like to see in-game. But I can live without those since mods will likely solve most of my more minor quibbles.

Is Bannerlord enjoyable? Sure, you can play it for dozens of hours and have fun. But it's also very mediocre and lacking as is. Which is a shame since it really does have the potential to be a great game i.e. a classic of its own. I think it's in TW best interests to not take their community for granted. A roadmap may be asking for too much, but I don't see an updated release date as unreasonable.

Sadly I think many "championing" Bannerlord are going to find themselves in a dark place when the game is likely released this Fall. They may be able to enjoy for what it is, but a lot of others won't or will be completely bored/frustrated. It really shouldn't be up to Modders to realize the game's potential. Mods are supposed to add "flavor" or replayability to a game; not fix it.

For example, we got Prison Breaks, something missing from Warband, and yeah we got that, the problem is that the feature doesn't work correctly, or if it does, it's poorly done and requires no strategy or thought.
I kinda wonder about this because with Warband prison breaks there was no strategy or thought; you just... win the fights.

The game is improving, slowly for sure, but improving... I am playing other games and from time to time I do a new play through to check the progress, the last one was with 1.5.7

But I think that it won't never be what I wanted, so I have already convinced muyself that I have to wait to have the product finished and some more months to have interesting mods released and then, maybe, it would be something near of what I hopped for M&BII

Well, not exactly "not getting what we want" it's the problem. For example, we got Prison Breaks, something missing from Warband, and yeah we got that, the problem is that the feature doesn't work correctly, or if it does, it's poorly done and requires no strategy or thought.
With respect this is the kind of thing that Anteaus was referring to. The feature has only been out a week, and by 'out' I mean attached to the beta branch of an Early Access game. Of course it is not going to be working correctly yet or implemented fully - that is the entire point.

Regrettably the forum has turned tribal - black/white, hate/love. Which is just ridiculous frankly. The naysayers on this forum will grasp every tiny issue they can and throw a wobbler about it. This then makes the real and completely valid feedback they have elsewhere on the side burner. Which in turn means everyone who disagrees gets cast as a whiteknight just for having an opposing opinion. The same works in reverse.

I love the game; but I have some significant criticisms which I want addressed - however I can't voice them without it turning into a toxic waste dump of arguing over something petty.

Sadly I think many "championing" Bannerlord are going to find themselves in a dark place when the game is likely released this Fall. They may be able to enjoy for what it is, but a lot of others won't or will be completely bored/frustrated. It really shouldn't be up to Modders to realize the game's potential. Mods are supposed to add "flavor" or replayability to a game; not fix it.
The game could be released tomorrow - it doesn't make a difference; Taleworlds will still be working on it for years to come. Though frankly I doubt we will see a full release for another 2-3 years; they would be silly to drop the 'protection' of EA until they are actually ready.

Last edited:
@WhiteEyedSh4rk I think we took a break around the same time. I gave 1.5.9 a try and honestly the game is fundamentally the same. There's a few additions like sandbox mode which are nice I guess, but I wouldn't say that it makes for a different experience than it did before I stopped playing last time.
The game is fundamentally the same because it's fundamentally finished. What's missing are some smaller features (comparable to prison breaks, like battle deployment), improvements to existing features (marriage, tournaments, dialogues, etc.), balancing and bug fixing.
I don't know why some people expected anything else.

The game is fundamentally the same because it's fundamentally finished. What's missing are some smaller features (comparable to prison breaks, like battle deployment), improvements to existing features (marriage, tournaments, dialogues, etc.), balancing and bug fixing.
I don't know why some people expected anything else.

I am expecting them to fix some glaring problems such as paper armors, mounted troops being unable to hit anything unless they have a long reach weapon, hitboxes and collisions in general, issues with sieges and such other fun things. You might argue that these are features that are already in game, but fixing all of that would make for a different experience.

I am expecting them to fix some glaring problems such as paper armors, mounted troops being unable to hit anything unless they have a long reach weapon, hitboxes and collisions in general, issues with sieges and such other fun things. You might argue that these are features that are already in game, but fixing all of that would make for a different experience.
So improvements to existing features and balancing. I think that's pretty reasonable.

So improvements to existing features and balancing. I think that's pretty reasonable.
Right. I am not really expecting any big new features to be introduced, in fact I don't think that they should do that. They should fix the basics, which have been semi-broken since day one. Although at this point I am starting to lose hope that even that will happen.

Right. I am not really expecting any big new features to be introduced, in fact I don't think that they should do that. They should fix the basics, which have been semi-broken since day one. Although at this point I am starting to lose hope that even that will happen.
I think that's exactly what they've been doing over the last months. But I mostly avoid playing the game in its current state so I guess that's why I am not as frustrated as others.

Back
Top Bottom