Does the Bannerlord map make sense, when compared to that of Warband?

Do you mind that the map doesn't seem to line up with the map from Warband?

• Why, yes I do!

• Nah, not really.

• I would like some fidelity, but ultimately I don't swing either way.

• I only want to kill those raiders and drink from their skull.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, I too think that map continuity was lost along the way. I don't mind the changes though if it changed with a reason.
Keep in mind that the map changed a lot between M&B1 and Warband too.

However I think that the map overall doesn't look very realistic. Sure graphics are nice but there are mountains everywhere and nowhere.
Thats not how mountains work. There should be lines of Mountains where tectonic plates meet or at least larger groups of mountains and then areas where there are none except maybe some hills. Because of that its also quite hard to orient yourself in said map. Everything looks the same. Warbands map and even M&Bs map were better in that regard I think.

However I think that the map overall doesn't look very realistic. Sure graphics are nice but there are mountains everywhere and nowhere.
Thats not how mountains work. There should be lines of Mountains where tectonic plates meet or at least larger groups of mountains and then areas where there are none except maybe some hills. Because of that its also quite hard to orient yourself in said map. Everything looks the same. Warbands map and even M&Bs map were better in that regard I think.

I agree.

I think that's just a nostalgia playing here. The worlds of warband and bannerlord have very little in common and its alright since they are fantasy games which do not present any lore, every party is different and history is made by AI, rng and player. Its wierd to criticise new map for not being perfectly designed by university of geology. I am happy that developers decided to give more priority to gameplay than to lore. Anyways, original calradia from m&b was just a generic, quickly made thing, and warband map was not much better, it was still a indie-game map. Now when the new game is out you can either start comparing new experience with something you had 10 years ago, or just start enjoying something new, embrace this beautiful new world and its "lore".

Honestly the map is amazing and personally I think they have done a magnificent job. It is true that there is a fairly substantial modification of the orography regarding the original M&B map; however the Bannerlord map is more versatile. Not to mention the eye candy feature (the new one is much nicer in my eyes), the new map is much more versatile because this more mountainous orography offers bottlenecks and areas that cannot be crossed. Also the rivers and lakes layout suggests that this map is more adapted (or plausibly adaptable) to sea traffic and navigation. The islands are a novelty and do not connect with the warband map; however I prefer to have them already established to host the navigation system (soon™ ).

Yes, I too think that map continuity was lost along the way. I don't mind the changes though if it changed with a reason.
Keep in mind that the map changed a lot between M&B1 and Warband too.

Yeah, there are mountains everywhere. That bothered me too when I first played Bannerlord. I got used to it though but I think they over did certain things. There should have been more plains in Vlandian region.

It might be a bug that the cities are placed elsewhere but it doesn't matter to me. Warband wasn't meant to be a big game with a sequel. The game being so popular wasn't expected by the devs. You know that something you did in the basement is loved by others so you just keep developing it, yeah that's bannerlord to you. So they just developed the game so to become how they wanted the game to be. They didn't limit themselves by the first game.

BTW, Warband's part of the calradia is probably the eastern europe+anatolia. We know that the Kuzaits are meant to hold their ground against some kingdom far east. Probably when the Kuzait Khan dies the eastern kingdom just starts to attack the Kuzaits which results with Khergits taking control and riding towards the ''Warband Part' of the Calradia and conquering more than half of the Empire. Which makes it pretty clear to me that the Khergits and Kuzaits are Turks and not some mix of Mongols/Turks. If they add the far eastern kingdom with a dlc i believe it would be a chinese kind of kingdom. Because the turkish and mongolian battle tactics are similiar and if they want to add a new kingdom they should make it diffirent than others. So Kuzaits/Khergits getting pushed by another country that is very much like them would be not a good idea for the gameplay mechanics if they ever add that kingdom to the game.

Empire is the Romans.
And i believe that the Vlandians are the Holy Roman Empire, which would end with the Rhodok rebellion (Italy leaving the HRE)

To me it looks like it's a much bigger coverage of the continent, the portion we see in Warband would be in the west, and in the couple centuries until Warband, the sea seems to have drained out to some extent.

Warband on bottom

Of course it doesn't make 100% sense to change cities historically, and it's some heavy climate change, but personally I'm not having a heart attack over it.

Yeah sure, that's how climate works. Attila moves in, the grass dies.
It was a sarcasm

If you need the real answer, look few comments above :
Warband wasn't meant to be a big game with a sequel. The game being so popular wasn't expected by the devs. You know that something you did in the basement is loved by others so you just keep developing it, yeah that's bannerlord to you. So they just developed the game so to become how they wanted the game to be. They didn't limit themselves by the first game.

I love how the way the new map looks and don't mind retconning warband in exchange for some more interesting terrain and geography. The only thing that bothers me as a language nerd are what you guys have already talked about extensively, the town names. (Aside from the heated debate about Rhodoks somehow being inspired by Lithuanians in some way).

I know that the town names don't actually matter that much and don't have any effect on gameplay, but I would love it if there was a bit more correspondence between location of cities in Warband and Bannerlord and maybe some more connections between castle and village names, like Tirby which is pretty close Warband's Tihr.

Although it would be a feature probably only I would use, I'd love to see (probably a mod:er) implement a system where towns change name depending on the owner. For example if the Empire manages to retake Praven(d) it changes back to Baravenos. Don't expect to see it and most people would probably find it annoying and disorienting, but a man can dream!

I think you're taking the Anatolia metaphore too far. If there was a city like Constantinople in the game, I'd give you the point, but if you want a setting that resembles Anatolia, you need Constantinople. No Constantinople, no Anatolia.
Have you seen this?

zzol6yxv8b331.jpg

I think the Sea of Marmara and the Gulf of Alexandretta are pretty much up there.

Yesterday i talked with a companien and she said beyond kuzaits are the lands of the Padishah. I guess they are indeed going to add more countries and land with dlc's. Might even be a invasion.

Back
Top Bottom