Does the Bannerlord map make sense, when compared to that of Warband?

Do you mind that the map doesn't seem to line up with the map from Warband?

• Why, yes I do!

• Nah, not really.

• I would like some fidelity, but ultimately I don't swing either way.

• I only want to kill those raiders and drink from their skull.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I didn't say they sound Italian. I said names doesnt matter their overall style is clearly inspired from Italians and Swiss. Look at their troops, their vine fields. They are not Polish-Lithuanian inspired, they are south European not Slavic or Eastern EU.

I didn't say they sound Italian. I said names doesnt matter their overall style is clearly inspired from Italians and Swiss. Look at their troops, their vine fields. They are not Polish-Lithuanian inspired, they are south European not Slavic or Eastern EU.

The other guy said it. I just grouped your two answer together. But you can't just say "the names don't matter", they do. If you want to create a city which clearly harkens to the Old Rus, with druzhina, and trader-warriors, longships, axes and striped pantaloons... and call it Zhen Shen... well, that's odd, isn't it? Maybe that tells us something about the history of this game's development.

I also said that I believe the developing BEGAN as Baltic-inspired, but eventually went into another direction. And, as many people have already said, after a lot of mix and match and organic changes, the point of departure was eventually lost.

Just freeballing here, I'm on vacation, too much time on me hands :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thanks for answering. To me, it always seemed like some city names got swapped (especially after looking at the old development maps). I don't mind having my save broken if that fixes some things, but there are obviously more pressint matters, like heraldry and companions being very barebones still.

As for city name swaps, the ones that are the most obvious are:

Lageta > Jalmarys (to match Halmar)
Pen Cannoc > Seonon (to match Suno)
Dunglanys > Marunath (I think Dunglanys was supposed to be Dhirim at some point, but got name-swapped for Marunath. The old dev maps seem to agree)
Zeonica > Poros (to fit Baryye)

The issue of where is Sargot could be resolved by either making it the "future name" of Car Banseth (which makes sense, some guy Sargot des Tuy conquered it and changed its name, for example), or the new name of Rovalt, while Car Banseth becomes Curow. Then, Sargot should change name to Veluca (or its Vlandian verson, Velgar or whatnot).

At least, that's what I think.

They don't sound Italian AT ALL. They don't sound Greek (Rhodes Island) either. I will fight anyone who says so. Pistols at dawn.

Their elective monarchy is taken straight out of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth. It's not much, but it's not nothing...

Its literally Rhodes in Turkish, Rodos with a K added. Vaegirs is name for Hungarians for example as well.

Rhodoks? Lithuiania? What? They're a mix of Scots and Italians... Which makes the fact that their precursors, the battanians are based mainly on the Celts and Gauls(with a bit of thracians mixed in) all the more obvious...

Why hasn't anybody mentioned yet that the precursors to the Rhodoks and Swadians are the Vlandians, and that the Battanians are precursors to the Vaegirs? Seems to me you got that utterly wrong.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned yet that the precursors to the Rhodoks and Swadians are the Vlandians, and that the Battanians are precursors to the Vaegirs? Seems to me you got that utterly wrong.

Battanians are forest bandits, Sturgians are forefathers of Vaegirs, you can see all the Kievan Rus influences with the names and the troops. Nords are not in Calradia yet. It seems you got that utterly wrong.

It's fine, Bannerlord may be a prequel of sorts but chaining it to preestablished concepts too strongly would just detract from the quality, Bannerlord needs to stand on it's own two feet. And either way wee can safely assume Bannerlord is sort of like a parallel universe to Warband, rather then straight prequel, it's a "what if" scenario in which Calradia is united a century or so earlier then in prime(Warband) timeline, which shakes up the whole premise of warband. Personally i hope TW will give us a remastered version of Warband in Bannerlord engine. Not that the gameplay would be much different(and god knows that the story in Warband was never really, well, there) but still it would be fun to be able to have different starting dates(kinda like in CK2) and remastered Warband would be a good starting point for that.

If you look in the files for the settlements and clans, there are notes from the devs that explain their reasons and their etymology for some of the names

It has places and stuff as reference but its definitly not the same as Warband and neither I think they inteded to be exactly as it was in Warband, I thought this was kinda obvious

Yeah, maybe some of the cities had moved after being rebuilt. Either from warfare, drought, or floods?

What I'm mostly noticing is that the new map has many more bodies of water.

Battanians are forest bandits, Sturgians are forefathers of Vaegirs, you can see all the Kievan Rus influences with the names and the troops. Nords are not in Calradia yet. It seems you got that utterly wrong.
Pretty sure it says that the Sturgians are already influenced by the Nord in game. Kind of like how the Norse influenced Slavic culture. Also the Nords are a culture group in the game I think but nothing has been implemented yet.

Nords ARE in Calradia. The Nords are the Sturgians; the Sturgians will even tell you that in-game.

What might be throwing you off is that the Vaegirs of Warband are inspired by the Rus - Norse migrants who settled down, married with the local Slavs, and over several hundred years assimiliated into a new, non-Norse culture. The Warband Vaegirs are Battanianized/Imperialized Sturgians, a couple hundred years down the road. The Warband Nords are a mix of coastal Sturgians who kept to the old ways, and new waves of Nord migrant/invaders.

(you also saw a similar process in early medieval Britain: the Anglo-Saxon invasion, and then the Danish invasion several hundred years later. Both groups came from the same regions and shared many common ancestors, it's just that by the time the second wave showed up, the first wave had become virtually unrecognizable)

I'm really loving the new map. It has so much more detail than the warband map (which I also really liked). You just have to imagine/think that the Warband was an abstraction of a region while the Bannerlord map is a lesser abstraction, just like you don't control your whole army in the overworld, but a single "character".

Nords are definitely in Calradia, as stated earlier, so you can drop the snark.

I'll grant you a certain point though. Considering the Sturgians have a title of Boyar, like the Vaegirs, I agree that it'd make them culturally linked. But then again, the Sturgians are already intermingled with the Nords. Culturally, sure, the Sturgians are clearly linked to the Vaegirs and Battanians don't seem to bring much to the table.

The main point I was making though is that geographically, and more importantly when considering military tactics, Battanians are clearly closer to Vaegirs, focusing on archery and two handed weapons, while Sturgians are more similar to the Nords.

If you look in the files for the settlements and clans, there are notes from the devs that explain their reasons and their etymology for some of the names

Really? How can we access this? I've looked into the files a bit, but most of them need decompiling or are locked in a .tpac format I don't know how to access.

It has places and stuff as reference but its definitly not the same as Warband and neither I think they inteded to be exactly as it was in Warband, I thought this was kinda obvious

Well, they said this game was set 200 years before Warband. I think it's obvious that some fidelity in geography and naming was necessary. And for the most part, it was (it is) there. It's just scrambled in some areas, for whatever reasons.

Nords are definitely in Calradia, as stated earlier, so you can drop the snark.

I'll grant you a certain point though. Considering the Sturgians have a title of Boyar, like the Vaegirs, I agree that it'd make them culturally linked. But then again, the Sturgians are already intermingled with the Nords. Culturally, sure, the Sturgians are clearly linked to the Vaegirs and Battanians don't seem to bring much to the table.

The main point I was making though is that geographically, and more importantly when considering military tactics, Battanians are clearly closer to Vaegirs, focusing on archery and two handed weapons, while Sturgians are more similar to the Nords.

The Battanians are, like the mainland Celts in out world, gone without a trace, I guess. The Swadian Vlandians and the Sturgians of the Vaegir clan took most of their lands and then the Khergits came to finish them off. That's how I explain it after all. Maybe there's an island full of proto-Battanians somewhere in the West, aside from the island of Balion whence the Vlandians came from.

Every faction has some influences by their neighbouring factions. But still Strugia doesnt feel Nordic like Nords did in Warband. Like Kievan Rus they have some Nordic influences but thats it. Same goes with Battanian-Vaegir connection, Vaegirs probably adopted their style.

What I'm really curious is how some npcs mention Vaegir Guards in service of the Emperor, how does it connect to Warband's Vaegirs? I thought they -the Vaegir Guard- are a similar force to Varangian Guards but what is the connection between them and the Warband's Vaegirs?

Every faction has some influences by their neighbouring factions. But still Strugia doesnt feel Nordic like Nords did in Warband. Like Kievan Rus they have some Nordic influences but thats it. Same goes with Battanian-Vaegir connection, Vaegirs probably adopted their style.

What I'm really curious is how some npcs mention Vaegir Guards in service of the Emperor, how does it connect to Warband's Vaegirs? I thought they -the Vaegir Guard- are a similar force to Varangian Guards but what is the connection between them and the Warband's Vaegirs?

I don't see the Battanian-Vaegir link, but to each their own. They probably occupied Battanian cities, and they may have taken up some of their traditions.

I also found it very interesting, the Vaegir Guard of the Emperor and its rebellion in Lykaron (which makes me wonder, was Lycaron the Rome of Calradia?) really seems like the embryo of the Vaegir "realm". Isn't there a clan called Vagirungs or some such thing?

@Aruda
Vaegir and battanians have nothing to do with each other, they descend from sturgians, Nords havent invaded the continent yet

Back
Top Bottom