Resolved Does "disallow ranged" work?

Users who are viewing this thread

D&B

Recruit
Hi all, new to the forum. I searched the topic in advance so apologies if this has already been discussed. That out of the way...

I recently (as a fan of M&B since the beginning) bought Warband version 1.174 from GOG to enjoy with my kid. I'm having trouble getting the "disallow ranged weapons" setting to work. I set up a LAN game using Multiplayer as normal, then set the option advertised as a feature since version 1.134: "Server setting to disallow ranged weapons, get rid of pesky archers with one click!" Despite this, I continued to be fitted for broadheads rather liberally and forcefully.

Is this a bug and is it known / to be addressed? No one seems to be discussing it that I have been able to find.
Am I doing it wrong, i.e., this setting only works under certain conditions?
If this has not / will not / can not be addressed officially, how would I go about getting / making a mod for it?

I understand that archery is a cool facet of the game, but sometimes, just sometimes, I want us to be able to enjoy melee on foot and mount without having archers completely trash the experience, as they now are so wont to do. I was directed here by customer support on the suggestion that fans and devs would be able to help.

Thanks for any assistance.

Could someone try it? Takes less than a minute. It's hard to believe that such a feature could have been released in a not-working state and yet no one commented, so I leave open the possibility that I'm just doing something wrong.

Wait...why wouldn't I need the option if I'm hosting the game? Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

What I'm attempting to do is host games with my kid and bots/AI, without archery getting involved. It seems that even with the setting enabled, although we (human players) cannot choose archery, the bots do so readily, completely ignoring the setting. I'm using 1.174, GOG (no one there is even discussing Warband, it seems).

Am I missing something obvious? Please inform, and thanks for responding. You're the first out of 83 reads at this point.

I thought you were hosting a multiplayer server with other people so I thought you could just make it a rule and ban people who used it, since you didn't specify bots. But yeah, bots arent coded to abide by the server rules, at least not the disallow ranged rule. Sadly, I couldn't find any mods that can circumvent this, for now I guess your only option is to use shields.

I doubt devs would fix that option to include bots since the game is so old and all the developer time is being spent on the new game. And yeah, because of the same reason there aren't many people visiting the forums either.

But yeah, bots arent coded to abide by the server rules, at least not the disallow ranged rule. Sadly, I couldn't find any mods that can circumvent this
Thank you for confirmation of that. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, the peace of mind helps, and I appreciate it. 'Support' wasn't willing to help at all with this matter beyond directing me to post here. They've basically ignored my follow-up contact, even after telling me to reach out again if I have any questions.

I'll have to see if I can manage to mod it in. One post I saw mentioned manually replacing all ranged weapons in some data file. I guess it's time to try and learn some modding.

Late response but the support can't really do anything about your problem here. It's a purely cosmetic issue which you have and nearly none of them has the skillset to mod Warband, so it would be a huge investment of time for such a little thing. The best way to achieve your goal is to use Morgh's Editor and edit the equipment and flags of the bots accordingly. Keep in mind that you both need to have that mod installed (which is otherwise purely a copy of the Native module but renamed to something else) and the server needs to run it as well.

Late response but the support can't really do anything about your problem here. It's a purely cosmetic issue which you have and nearly none of them has the skillset to mod Warband, so it would be a huge investment of time for such a little thing. The best way to achieve your goal is to use Morgh's Editor and edit the equipment and flags of the bots accordingly. Keep in mind that you both need to have that mod installed (which is otherwise purely a copy of the Native module but renamed to something else) and the server needs to run it as well.
This appears to work! My son and I both THANK YOU for this info! And thanks to Morgh for making this editor! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom