Does armor weight actually affect run speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Title. So I've played for about 26 hours so far and love the game. I've been screwing around with the Dev console mod to see what perks work before starting my next game.

I set my athletics skill to 250 to see how fast I could make my character run (was thinking of trying a no-horse game lol).... And holy hell is it fast.

But then I noticed something else, whether I've stripped them naked or they're wearing 50+(lbs?) of heavy armor [based on the little weight counter in the inventory], they run at the exact same speed, atleast when athletics is set to 250.

So this has me wondering... Does armor encumbrance currently affect run/walk speed, at all?

Or is the only factor affecting run/walk speed right now your athletics level? If this is the case, it currently makes light armor useless (as you're meant to be trading protection for maneuverability)

I don't have any athletics on my current character as he is mounted, but I can tell you he runs slow as hell with all the heavy gear on.

If you have 250 athletic you probably maxed the human speed with or without armor and that is why you don't see any difference.

That's what I thought too, so I made a new character and put nothing in to athletics nor into endurance (just incase there was some minor effect) during the prologue, and tested again both naked and with 54.1 units of encumbrance from armor (thanks to that cheat mod's ability to unlock all armor from day 1).

I observe no effect on movement speed when he has 0 or 54.1 (lets call it "full" as I found the heaviest stuff in the game) encumbrance.
I timed running between two carts in a village - 8.15 and 8.22 seconds for the two tests (the difference is statistically insignificant, and more down to my human reflexes when pushing stop/start on the timer).

From this I conclude the only thing that effects movement speed, currently, is your athletics level
  • (at 250 athletics it feels like you run about 3-4x faster than at 0 athletics, your character animation even looks like they're running in "fast-forward", in case anyone reads this and was curious)
Armour (and weapon) weight has no effect on on-foot movement speed.
So for the time being, until this is patched (i'm not sure where to make a bug post about this?), there is no point looking at the weight value on your equipment.
(though, to be fair, if base run speed isn't improved, athletics will never be relevant as you start off moving at a soul-crushingly slow speed)

Last edited:
From this I conclude the only thing that effects movement speed, currently, is your athletics level

that's really interesting to know. thanks for clarification bro. +1

Well I think they broke that in one of the last patches, since i was reeeaaaally slow after equipping a heavy shield and armor in a previous playthrough but now im not noticing it anymore. couldnt swear on it though, perception sometimes is a weird thing

Has this been fixed in any of the patches? Wondering because I have a guy with lighter armor, mostly for RP purposes, but if he doesn't at least get some speed out of it, that kind of sucks lol

I do think this might have changed between patches. I swear heavy encumbrance was making some impact earlier but it might also have just been my athletics skill was so low I assumed it was the equipment since you can get good gear so quickly.

On the actual topic- high athletics shouldn't increase movement speed as much as it does BUT it should be hugely valuable for weapon swing/attack speed that also is affected by weapon proficiency. If large shields and heavy armour reduced movement slightly but weapon and attack speed by -35% (when added together say shield -25% armour -10%) but Athletics reduced that impact it would matter without having the 250 Athletics speed be set to the speed of a trotting horse.

If a soldier has 200 weapon proficiency and 100 Athletics that doesn't give extra attack speed (it does give extra damage) but it counters the slower attack speed of heavy gear so a large shield and heavy armour that are -35% attack speed added together are offset by 10% per 100 weapon proficiency and 10 per 100 Athletics giving the soldier only a -5% attack/run speed when using both and makes Athletics more important to use the heaviest gear as it requires constant training to be able to function just as well as an unencumbered person but benefiting from all that extra protection.

Increase in base attack speed is too unbalancing and also not very realistic. As you train your reflexes do increase slightly but it is mostly your perception of reading opponents movement and your muscle response that is actually making noticeable speed increases. Due to increase perception, you start to react sooner, not reducing the actual delay between decision to move and the move itself. Similarly your muscles with training can handle the increased load of a weapon/armour weight distribution. Slower speed swing from a heavy weapon is not due only to the weight of the weapon but controlling the momentum of the swing- drawing your arm back to swing lifts the weight of the weapon- actually swinging you have to counteract the force of the lift + the weight of the weapon + add speed to the swing which requires increased muscle strength, coordination, and perception.

Trained people do fight at a 'faster' speed but most of that isn't about nervous system (most people are within same range for how fast nerves transmit a signal) but all the other factors such as knowing how to move from subtle clues in the environment so a trained person is reading the situation faster to discover how to react, not necessarily reacting faster (though that is how it appears from the outside).

Uhm. Might be a silly question but why are you using a mod to change settings instead of...you know... just testing by equipping and unequipping items?

Might be that the game checks others stats other then your encumberance in which case the whole testing you did was moot...

Title. So I've played for about 26 hours so far and love the game. I've been screwing around with the Dev console mod to see what perks work before starting my next game.

I set my athletics skill to 250 to see how fast I could make my character run (was thinking of trying a no-horse game lol).... And holy hell is it fast.

But then I noticed something else, whether I've stripped them naked or they're wearing 50+(lbs?) of heavy armor [based on the little weight counter in the inventory], they run at the exact same speed, atleast when athletics is set to 250.

So this has me wondering... Does armor encumbrance currently affect run/walk speed, at all?

Or is the only factor affecting run/walk speed right now your athletics level? If this is the case, it currently makes light armor useless (as you're meant to be trading protection for maneuverability)

I just went in-game to test this because it was really bugging me.

I tested this in a village.

First time with 0.0 encumbrance, I did 5 runs from one point to another, keeping as straight as possible, and starting the timer as I hit the forward key simultaneously. Naked guy would clock in at approx 19 seconds seconds. With 42.0 encumbrance on me, I did the same run at between 19.8 and 20.0 seconds.

The next time I decided to make the run longer, because any discrepancies in time should be more exaggerated the longer it goes. Same thing, between a 0 encumbrance naked guy and the same guy with 42.0 burden and a ton of armor and weapons on (thanks to the cheat inventory menu). This time the distance was further, a bit longer than the length of an American football field.

Naked guy clocked in at 28 seconds. Armored guy clocked in at 30 seconds.

Now these tests aren't perfect, but I think that a 2 second gap is more than enough to show that encumbrance matters.

Maybe they fixed this in a patch since you did your first test. It's good to have things working,.

EDIT: I've also been doing the tests giving a slight hesitation disadvantage to the naked guy, but he still keeps winning.
EDIT2: I didn't have 250 athletics though. Only like 50 or something like that

Last edited:
I am trying to make a mod where weight much more significantly affects speed, but can't find a script for it in the game files. If I increase weight of an item by 300, I notice that it cuts speed to about 20% or so of original, so I know the mechanic is in the game somewhere. It just doesn't do much.

weight has slowed your character down since launch. i can be fully geared at 35-40.0 weight and i move like a snail on foot. Or, if I'm light weight with light armor let's say less than 10.0 total weight, I can run fast and/or faster than some of the AI troops fleeing to catch them.

That's what I thought too, so I made a new character and put nothing in to athletics nor into endurance (just incase there was some minor effect) during the prologue, and tested again both naked and with 54.1 units of encumbrance from armor (thanks to that cheat mod's ability to unlock all armor from day 1).

I observe no effect on movement speed when he has 0 or 54.1 (lets call it "full" as I found the heaviest stuff in the game) encumbrance.
I timed running between two carts in a village - 8.15 and 8.22 seconds for the two tests (the difference is statistically insignificant, and more down to my human reflexes when pushing stop/start on the timer).

• (at 250 athletics it feels like you run about 3-4x faster than at 0 athletics, your character animation even looks like they're running in "fast-forward", in case anyone reads this and was curious)
Armour (and weapon) weight has no effect on on-foot movement speed.
So for the time being, until this is patched (i'm not sure where to make a bug post about this?), there is no point looking at the weight value on your equipment.
(though, to be fair, if base run speed isn't improved, athletics will never be relevant as you start off moving at a soul-crushingly slow speed)

That test doesn't necessarily prove that weight doesn't matter. In Warband, Athletics didn't just make you faster. Its main effect was to offset encumbrance, so armor slows you down less. Its reasonable that it would have a similar effect in Bannerlord even if its not spelled out in the skill description. So if that's the case, then it could just be that 250 Athletics, which is near the top of the scale, is nullifying most of your encumbrance while also speeding you up. Its probably better to test speeds at lower Athletics values to get a fuller picture, but just from my own experience, I can run much faster around town in my civilian clothes than I can in full armor on the battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom