does anyone just play as a vassal?

Users who are viewing this thread

zentg

Recruit
I love this game but Tbh I am getting horrible anxiety and it made me start drinking again. It's frustrating cos I can't start a kingdom to form an army unless I got a settlement and I can't get a settlement because without a kingdom my max army size at tier 4 is 124 units and no matter how small a settlement I choose when I attack it the game spawns 200+ unit armies to attack me.

So when I join as a vassal if I try to leave, everyone hates me and then I am left with a few scatterered fiefs, no vassals of my own!

What should I do? Maybe just be a vassal and help one of the factions takeover calradia?

I love this game but Tbh I am getting horrible anxiety and it made me start drinking again. It's frustrating cos I can't start a kingdom to form an army unless I got a settlement and I can't get a settlement because without a kingdom my max army size at tier 4 is 124 units and no matter how small a settlement I choose when I attack it the game spawns 200+ unit armies to attack me.

So when I join as a vassal if I try to leave, everyone hates me and then I am left with a few scatterered fiefs, no vassals of my own!

What should I do? Maybe just be a vassal and help one of the factions takeover calradia?
By the time you can create your own kingdom you can also have several parties (up to 3 other than yours) and get some decent sized armies to start. The first thing you should do when you start out on your own is look through the encyclopedia for clans that have no fiefs so you can target them for persuasion as they are the easiest and cheapest to get to join your kingdom. Typically you'll find clans without settlements from losing factions. Once they join your kingdom focus on building an army with all your parties and the new clans parties then take a castle and give it to the new clan so they don't leave you. Rinse repeat.

Also a side tip, when joining as a vassal you should try to wait until the next target for the kingdom your joining is likely a town or a castle next to a town. Towns are much better to get and the bonus for having no settlements as a vassal is big and can make it easy to get a town. I'd also say don't start a kingdom without at least one town under your control, castles just don't provide enough income.

Last edited:
By the time you can create your own kingdom you can also have several parties (up to 3 other than yours) and get some decent sized armies to start. The first thing you should do when you start out on your own is look through the encyclopedia for clans that have no fiefs so you can target them for persuasion as they are the easiest and cheapest to get to join your kingdom. Typically you'll find clans without settlements from losing factions. Once they join your kingdom focus on building an army with all your parties and the new clans parties then take a castle and give it to the new clan so they don't leave you. Rinse repeat.

Also a side tip, when join as a vassal you should try to wait until the next target for the kingdom your joining is likely a town or a castle next to a town. Towns are much better to get and the bonus for having no settlements as a vassal is big and can make it easy to get a town. I'd also say don't start a kingdom without at least one town under your control, castles just don't provide enough income.
good to know thank you!

I pretty much hate the game's algorithm that decides who contends for a 'liberated' fief, but I've used knowledge of it to obtain control of 6 cities and several castles as an Aserai in my current campaign. (Certain other lords are sitting on piles of my conquests without even having been in my army.)

I've never attempted to start my own kingdom - have only been a (fantastic, earth-shakingly good conquering) vassal. I conquer 2-3 times as many settlements as my kingdom's normal 2-3 OTHER armies, put together. What are the chances I can take these with me if I look up ol' Unqid and say I'm gonna strike off on my own? - If I got to keep all my fiefs I'd be bigger than Sturgia, Battania, or any of the empires at this point.

There are a few methods, first the easiest use Mods and Cheat until the kinks are sorted out.

Key Mods

Party AI Overhaul Commands
DiplomacyFixes
DrasticBattle
SmithForever
BannerLord Tweaks (increase the size of your army based on Steward and Leadership)
True Prisoners
Workshops Work Much Better
Tournament Fair Armor
True Noble Opinion
True Relations

Fun Mods
Separatism
AI Marriage
Custom Spawns

campaign.give_troops aserai_mameluke_guard 30 (sturgian_berzerker or battanian_falxman are also excellent)
campaign.give_troops battanian_hero 30
campaign.give_troops khuzait_torguud 30
campaign.give_troops vlandian_knight 30

With the army above + good strats you should be able to beat an army twice your size or greater. Basically set your Infantry up in a line. Set your archers behind them on a hill. Skein formation your Cavalry and hold them while sending your horse archers in ( I use F3 charge). Let their troops come to you and send in your Cav. Bring your Cav and Horse Archers back after the 1st wave rinse and repeat.

Now, with Party AI Overhaul Commands you can control your parties and add them to an army (without a Kingdom I believe ). This lets you double or triple the size of your army. Setup your parties with Companions with high Tactics.

For your first settlement, focus on something out of the way like Aserai, maybe Tamnuth Castle. Get the settlement when you are unaffiliated and it is easier to keep. Or use the commands below.

campaign.give_settlement_to_player Vostrum
campaign.add_gold_to_hero 1000000

You could also go the Merchant route, get your Trade to 225 and get the Everything has a price perk. You can buy a settlement this way. Takes a long time though and I found it tedious. Or you could try to take a settlement without cheating.

Game still takes a looooooong time to finish even with cheating. Purists may not enjoy my approach, but I've loved it. The game has been amazingly fun. I like to cheat though, 100% automation of games like Everquest etc.

I have 738 hours played thus far.

Enjoy!

my max army size at tier 4 is 124 units and no matter how small a settlement I choose when I attack it the game spawns 200+ unit armies to attack me.
you need more steward levels to have a higher party count. one mistake i made is putting all the starting character creation stats to combat, you don't need to, put some points in trade and steward and medicine and scouting and they'll provide passive level for your character.
but aside from starting anew. this is what you can do. wait for a fief to be taken over by a faction in a battle, and then declare war on them and take it yourself. constructing the siege camp is slower without an engineer but you can easily find fiefs with less units than you have.
also there are many ways to lose less units in siege. my favorite trick is to turn battle size to lowest, this way i personally have a greater impact. i bring 2 quivers of arrow and i can shoot down 50 archers in a siege.

I have never started my own kingdom in Bannerlord due to the various problems that it has or used to have. I would like to be an absolute monarch and rule with an iron fist, but that isn't how things currently work in the game. I am doing the vassal thing right now as I build relationships with other lords across the realm.

I currently have five towns and four castles and it was impossible to manage without mods. I suppose that I have approached the threshold of being a kingdom, but I am hesitant to take the plunge.

relinquish all holdings for hardmode ?
You sir are hardcore as ****,
giphy.gif

id take all mine with me

Back
Top Bottom