Does anyone actually use the default formations?

Users who are viewing this thread

I find these formations a bit buggy, like, the spacing between individual soldiers seem to be a bit too large, making them vulnerable to enemy cavalry charges.

Most of the time I just tell the soldiers to break formation (F4 and then F:cool: at the start of the battle, and then tell them to stand closer 3 times (F2 and then F4)

by the way, what's the difference between a shieldwall and a rank formation? I can tell them apart in real life, but in the game they kinda look the same?

h1zchan said:
I find these formations a bit buggy, like, the spacing between individual soldiers seem to be a bit too large, making them vulnerable to enemy cavalry charges.

Most of the time I just tell the soldiers to break formation (F4 and then F:cool: at the start of the battle, and then tell them to stand closer 3 times (F2 and then F4)

by the way, what's the difference between a shieldwall and a rank formation? I can tell them apart in real life, but in the game they kinda look the same?

Use ranks and when enemy cavalry charges order your troops to stand closer and you will slaughter enemy cavalry. In shield wall troops stand closer to each others.

h1zchan said:

I always do that because for me these formations sucks. Good idea though

I always tell them to ready side arms before they engage in melee because spears are crappy on foot and I see heavy infantry get killed because of it way too often.

Well you can order them into shieldwall formation and then tell them to stand closer. After the cavalry has hit your formation, 'ten paces forward' can get the (at this time mostly already forcefully dismounted) riders surrounded and killed pretty fast. 'ten paces back' might be needed to pick up the surviving ones. Also like MC Communist says readying sidearms is a good thing to lower your casualties. I'd first let them throw some Javelins though, they kill/dismount quite a few enemies before they can reach your troops.

Marcus Tullius Cicero said:
Well you can order them into shieldwall formation and then tell them to stand closer. After the cavalry has hit your formation, 'ten paces forward' can get the (at this time mostly already forcefully dismounted) riders surrounded and killed pretty fast. 'ten paces back' might be needed to pick up the surviving ones. Also like MC Communist says readying sidearms is a good thing to lower your casualties. I'd first let them throw some Javelins though, they kill/dismount quite a few enemies before they can reach your troops.

Ya, this is pretty much what I do too.

h1zchan said:

Same here.

I have been pretty much exclusively playing as a freelancer since 1.393 was released, so I haven't really commanded my own army yet.  I've always used to use the shield-wall formation to keep my men organized though.  When we get close to the enemy I always order them to break formation and charge when the enemy is about 50 paces away.  I find that keeping them in any of the default formations hinders their ability to swing their weapons efficiently.  The men are just too closely packed together  to accommodate the swing mechanics of M&B.  When the enemy formation is defeated I always order my men to reform a shield-wall to restore order and cohesiveness. I usually press "U" after the first engagement to restore some health, then I repeat the break formation/charge routine for every new enemy reinforcement wave. 

As for weapons, I've always just issued the F3+F4 command for "use weapons at will" at the beginning of every fight.  I've never tried issuing the "sidearms" only command but I'll give it a shot to see if it's more effective, although I don't normally use a lot of men by issuing the "weapons at will" command. 

When equipping NPCs I only give them 1H sword/axe, lang seax, javelins/throwing spears, and shield. 

When you issue the "use weapons at will" order with this payload it works very well.  NPCs know to use their javelins first and then switch to their 1H sword/axe when the enemy is near.  They only switch to their seax if their main weapon breaks, so it makes an effective backup that won't otherwise screw up their ability to choose the proper weapon.

Marcus Tullius Cicero said:

Speaking of cavs, I remember in earlier versions of Brytenwalda, there used to be something like a couched spear damage. has that been removed? I remember cavs used to be a lot less useful than they are now, like, they used to die instantly upon touching infantry formation.

h1zchan said:
Speaking of cavs, I remember in earlier versions of Brytenwalda, there used to be something like a couched spear damage. has that been removed? I remember cavs used to be a lot less useful than they are now, like, they used to die instantly upon touching infantry formation.
Spear bracing or sth like this it was called. It made cav almost useless

Yes I do. I set my guys to Shield Wall, have them stand closer, and then watch enemies throw themselves into the meat grinder. I've taken down forces twice my size that way and never once needed reinforcements after my allied lords run off to charge into them and get slaughtered.

Back
Top Bottom