Do you think smithing skill should be removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

I also think that this smithing should be reworked. I remember in some early days of development crafting parts supposed to be found on map, not by randomly discovered by smelting (couldn't find the video to prove it ). Also I think that a npc blacksmith would be a good idea. Crafting weapons of your design or repairing the gear u loot from battles shouldn't be to hard to add to the game.
There was a basic implementation of a similar mechanic both in WF&S and VQ. You could order mastercrafted stuff from specific towns or/and NPC's. But before all, they need to balance the game economy it is extremely grindy right now.

to some it might be an "exploitable" feature to make millions. to me smithing basically allows me to play the game. if it were not for smithing id seriously dont know how to play this game. id have to jump from battle to battle to make ends meet; and id burn out in the process.

in this game you can go from making a couple hundred one day to losing a couple thousand the next. smithing is the only constant income i can count on.

is it fun? eh. its a minigame. its certainly not epic. doesnt make you feel like you're accomplishing a great deal and its grindy. it could certainly be improved.

I´m constant at 500k+ denars without smithing a single item (or abusing any other stuff), most income comes from loot of course. Took some time of course.

I´m constant at 500k+ denars without smithing a single item (or abusing any other stuff), most income comes from loot of course. Took some time of course.

ya if you're constantly in battles or at war you can accumulate a lot of wealth.

that being said, it is not how i would like to play the game. the game needs some downtime content otherwise its easy to get burnt out

Smithing as it is may work if you're the only hero/player but if they're going for that 'generational'/clan aspect, it just feels out of place. It's just spammed in the beginning as easy method for money but by the time you even get to a decent level (and parts unlocked); it's outdated or useless. With how the damage/armor values work atm, getting that extra ~2 or 3 points in swing damage is practically meaningless so it's just for aesthetic reasons in the end (at least for me).

Condense some of the perks (that impact the individual) and add some other 'smith' related benefits that are wider reaching. Ie:
  • 'buffing' damage/defense to units due to advances in smithing (like in AoE with unit upgrades)
  • extra arrows in sieges/towns from efficiency
  • town garrison upgrades
A lot perks in the game just don't jive or, when applied to companions, etc... are useless since they aren't really 'used' AFAIK unless they are the player themselves.

First, I agree that we should be able to pay a smith to either fix or upgrade a piece of equipment. Hand it and some money to the smith, come back a week later, and it's repaired or upgraded. To commission a new item would be similar: you pay up front and pick it up a week later. That could include different specialized smiths able to produce or upgrade either higher grade weapons, armor, arrows, and other items, as well as generalists who would be able to produce the most basic gear of any type.

They could include a Party Skill which allows your party to repair weapons over time, so those Cracked Spears eventually get fixed to Rusted or Bent. With higher party skill in Smithing, the Bent Spears can be brought up to Crude status, and so on, one step at a time. If weapon and armor degradation were a thing, it would add a whole new dimension to campaigns, where a long campaign would wear down the army's gear until it was forced to return to a town or castle to recover, recruit, resupply, and repair, along with a bit of R&R.

Having the ability to make weapons from raw materials sounds good from a village or town smith's perspective, but if you're playing as a roving warrior, it makes NO sense. Taleworlds hasn't implemented enough of an economy to make playing a non-combat character actually viable and interesting, otherwise I'd gladly leave the smithing skill for the player as a means of playing a smith, NOT a warrior. As it stands, it's a joke.

First, I agree that we should be able to pay a smith to either fix or upgrade a piece of equipment. Hand it and some money to the smith, come back a week later, and it's repaired or upgraded. To commission a new item would be similar: you pay up front and pick it up a week later. That could include different specialized smiths able to produce or upgrade either higher grade weapons, armor, arrows, and other items, as well as generalists who would be able to produce the most basic gear of any type.

They could include a Party Skill which allows your party to repair weapons over time, so those Cracked Spears eventually get fixed to Rusted or Bent. With higher party skill in Smithing, the Bent Spears can be brought up to Crude status, and so on, one step at a time. If weapon and armor degradation were a thing, it would add a whole new dimension to campaigns, where a long campaign would wear down the army's gear until it was forced to return to a town or castle to recover, recruit, resupply, and repair, along with a bit of R&R.

Having the ability to make weapons from raw materials sounds good from a village or town smith's perspective, but if you're playing as a roving warrior, it makes NO sense. Taleworlds hasn't implemented enough of an economy to make playing a non-combat character actually viable and interesting, otherwise I'd gladly leave the smithing skill for the player as a means of playing a smith, NOT a warrior. As it stands, it's a joke.
100% agree. Very good suggestions

Well said!

Yeah I've expressed this before too, that I'd rather have different skill and have an NPC smith, you could get special parts as rewards or loot and use the npc to make special custom gear. However, they put a lot of work into it, so I think it's gonna stick around and I am happy so see it's not an end-all money printer in 1.7. I just think it gave a bad impression for the game for "Oh want money click menu over and over and then wait a day and do it again forever..." and of course I just can't.... can't do that menu click so much, won't do it.

Also worth saying, the removal of the "level up means your skill learning speed is down" was a big positive change for smithing, because now if you want to smith a whole lot it doesn't hurt your characters, where as before you would end up with a high level character with no skills (But smithing) who is very slow to learn anything. Now you can go wild and only spending campaign time waiting is a downside.

Three things I'd really like to see are 1. passive stamina regeneration so we don't have to wait, maybe it could just be 10% or 25% regen during normal play and that would be fine, I just do not wait in normal gameplay so smithing more then once a year just doesn't happen for me.
2. Abilities to create armor and ranged weapons..... yeah I don't really care much for melee weapons, good or bad, the AI stinks at using them in combat, however if I could make better ranged and armor for my clan, that would appeal to me, even if it was simple and not as customizable as weapons.
3. Repair (or maybe improve too) gear you get from loot!
And these things and smithing will become appealing and useful to me. For now, it's just not for me.

I am assuming you are not trading, because without trading and smithing on hardest difficulty in order to gain income just from loot i had to be in constant war and i had to just speedrun from battle to battle doing nothing else(i owned 2 cities 3 castles with 250 men in my army). And only that way i could have a slow income(yes even that is slow). Like if you want to get tier 6 gear(you can always steal from your wife too thats an option) which tbh if you are a vassal, clan level +4, with few fiefs you should be able to gear yourself up fully imho. There is absolutely no reason not to, but even then a full T6 gear costs well above 500k denars. Here is the annoying part you can grind out battles for HOURS and get your gear but then game becomes so extremely boring(at least for me). Yes battles are part of M&B but when you just spam battles for hours fun goes out of the window.

Like maybe i am too used to Warband economy but cmon just the best bow in the game costs 250k+. I do not even wanna talk about helmets and body armour. Smithing is the only thing that keeps me sane and that way i don't have to strip the wife either. So i say at least until some in depth economy balance lets not touch smithing just yet.

Last edited:
It is funny that there is many lacking rp options, but HEY, YOU CAN RP A BLACKSMITH! except you don't.. the whole game is pushing you in the direction of a commander/combatant and that's fine i guess, but just throwing the smithing thing of course it is going to feel out of place, because it is.
My two cents isn't anything that hasn't been suggested already. There should be blacksmith npc's that you can find around, you know, the Game World (and maybe it will feel a little bit less empty) plus you will have a reason to skip Menulord™ (or not) and appreciate the cool town scenes along the ride...
Also, it would be cool if these npc's provide randomized equipment to the towns or to other lords, that you can stumble upon or buy yourself without having to go directly to them... i think it could add more flavor..

Smithing is fine, item prices still ridiculous.Weapons and armor must be cheap as dirt in this realm of constant war, but TW feel need to make good gear incredibly expensive. They are on the right track, though, with last patch changes.

Iron and steel weapons must go for few hundreds gold, not thousands. Absolute top for crafted weapons must be a few thousand denars, not tenths of thousands. And creating one high-end sword must take all smithing stamina of master smith. This way players will still be able to craft nice items for themselves and have some income from it.

Smiths should be used to repair or upgrade armors or weapons, ours and our parties too, as it is, the smiths are only used to cheat and waste time.

Yup. I never understood why it was implemented in the first place. Surely aspects of expanding the base game would have been a better use of time and resources.

My personal preference would be have armour and maybe weapons degrade when hit with sufficient force (parry for weapons, hits for armour) and if you don't repair it when a warning symbol comes up it degrades to a lower condition permantly. You could have skills yourself or a companion with Armourer skills to make them more resilient.

I enjoy the Smithing system, collecting ore and forging some 2h swords to increase my wealth. But I'd also like to see the system expanded and improved upon. It's an iterative process.

I unfortunately do kind of agree that it should be removed.

But that's because it was implemented poorly.

It's really an all-or-nothing skill and the mechanics behind it make no sense, like having to hang around a city doing nothing for a day before you can smith again. Nevermind the fact you just spent a few months traveling the world, nope you didn't hang around for a day no smithing for you.

Nevermind the fact you just spent a few months traveling the world, nope you didn't hang around for a day no smithing for you.
I like the smithing balance changes and how it works now (1.7.0). The one thing that just make me crazy it's this mechanic. Let me recover smithing stamina while I'm doing other things. Maybe recover less, but let it recover.

This may be unpopular but I think smithing skill should be removed entirely
Unironically, this is 100% a good idea. Smithing may be a skill IRL, but it's totally nuts to build a BL playthrough or even NPC companion around waiting in town and crafting for years until you git gud.

At its best: Smithing is hardly worth it at low levels anyway and it's a meme skill at higher levels.

At its worst: It's an economy-breaking exploit that begs TW to futz the town economy even worse than it already is in order to "balance" this unnecessary skill that doesn't bring anything meaningful to gameplay that you can't get with commissioned smith-work.

It would also perhaps be different if smithing perks actually affected anything other than smithing: like increasing army speed from better horseshoes or reducing siege casualties. I'm not sure if there are any historical examples of smiths being part of a field army's logistical operation in addition to engineers, so that might be dumb too. I know that American expansion-era border forts housed blacksmiths.

+1
It is funny that there is many lacking rp options, but HEY, YOU CAN RP A BLACKSMITH! except you don't
Fact.

This may be unpopular but I think smithing skill should be removed entirely. It's not immersive at all that YOU should be the one that make the weapons and need to spend his own time and experience training in that particular field, between a war and another. Also as it is implemented is a very cheap and grindy mechanic which is difficult to balance with the whole game economy system and thus easy to exploit.

If you go to a blacksmith in a city you can ask if he can make you a weapon, and then you make it yourself. It just don't fit well as a concept and the implementation is utterly garbage. Reminds me of f2p mobile game

I think however that the game mechanic to be able to customize your personal equipment is a great idea because adds so much flavor to the game loop especially in late game.
However you shouldn't be able to make an economy out of it because then it should work as another workshop. My 2 cents

What do you think about smithing?
I find myself surprised about it, but after reading your post I found out I kind of agree with you.

Revamping smithing might help. Might become more of a "I'm a renowned smith who forges legendary weapons for me, my family and my companions" and even allow you to specialize in armorsmithing, bow-making and fletchery instead of being a demigod who can literally smelt a couple weapons and buy a wife and a city. Flavor, just as you said, that's what smithing should be all about. As it is, it really does feel like a side activity from some mobile "game."

Even more than that, I think smithing is out of place in Bannerlord for a very simple reason. It feels like it doesn't belong there, maybe it's just me - but while I would LOVE to have a lot more RPG in Bannerlord, smithing is one thing I wouldn't have wanted to be added. It feels gimmicky. It feels like it came from another game entirely. This is basically Action: Total War in third person, what the hell is smithing doing in a title like this?

I mean, give us meaningful relationship. Intrigue. Betrayal. Our +100 relation ally who comes to save us when we're desperately holding a castle with no victory in sight, something like Gandalf breaking the siege of Helm's Deep. A lady we're courting is kidnapped by a rival to be forced to elope, and we have to chase the guy and duel him. Stuff like that, meaningful storytelling that's kind of unique with each and every playthrough.
Don't give us a skill that's basically mandatory with the economy being what it is (you can't survive for long if your kingdom doesn't declare war for a whole year and you can't farm enemy parties.) And, if you REALLY have to put it in, do it gent- sorry, I meant *do it sensibly.*

Back
Top Bottom