Do you play by entering towns, villages and taverns normally?

Do you play by entering towns, villages and taverns normally?

• Allways.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Many times.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Few times.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Never.

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Gandamula

Sergeant at Arms
For the first time since several versions ago, today I entered in a city and walked around, it's amazing how so much and so beautiful work is wasted, there's no reason to go into cities or towns, nothing to do,is just to have a look around, and then spend several months without going back there. It's a pain to see the waste of time, talent and Gigabytes.

Only reason i use that feature is to fix a grafic bug i get.
But in my first playthrough i did not know one could press the avatar to talk to people. I was so happy i noticed that.

I entered towns for a couple gang/prisoner quests and most of them do look pretty nice, a handful of castles are really good and the sieges actually made me think where the hell the last defenders were and it required some actual directions to reach them over a bridge and up some stairs to a final courtyard in front of the keep.

Generally though the amount of use TW gets from all those assets is really, terribly low. For quality of playtime TW should have spent way more time on the campaign map which still has several bugs.

On a brand new save I usually enter the first few towns and walk around a bit. It kind of helps me to connect to my character.
As the game progresses that gets less of course. But even then I would enter towns every now and then just to remind myself there is more than just the campaign map and battle scenes.

I did first trying the game but once I realized nothing dynamic could ever take place that was that. Even the grindiest of features would have helped - there was a Warband mod that required you to wander around a Town/Village scene to build trust with the locals and that would be directly tied into your overall relationship and ability to build things/draft recruits etc...

I did first trying the game but once I realized nothing dynamic could ever take place that was that. Even the grindiest of features would have helped - there was a Warband mod that required you to wander around a Town/Village scene to build trust with the locals and that would be directly tied into your overall relationship and ability to build things/draft recruits etc...
Yeah in vanilla Warband and most mod overhauls there was zero reason to ever enter a village or town. Taleworlds has no idea of how to make an interesting game outside of combat.

I have wandered around some of the new town scenes when TW adds a new town scene. It is a mixed feelings experience of "wow, this looks so cool" plus "why is there nothing worthwhile doing here?" For example, you can talk to beggars and they ask you for charity, but you can't pay them.

Village scenes seem totally pointless, both nothing to do and no interesting sights. I never go to villages, and rarely castles (outside sieges ofc).

I have noticed something by going to taverns, though: you can ask the tavern maid for a meal, pay money, and then ask again to ask to feed it to your men. If you do, it will increase party morale by 2. So that's a nice little touch.

That's the sort of thing which there should be more of in towns, castles and villages. Optional gameplay elements that give you an actual reason to explore these meticulously detailed scenes.

* Companions with better stats who can be found standing in random locations
* "Bargain" traders at the market who are offering good prices for certain items (gain trade XP for finding them)
* "Luxury" traders who sell items shops don't normally have, such as crowns
* Sick people you can heal to gain medicine skill and progress your Mercy trait
* Expert skill masters who can train you or your companions in a certain skill for a price (eg: crossbow trainer in Pravend, archery trainer in Quyaz, engineering teacher in Lageta)
* The ability to give money to beggars to progress your Generosity trait

Last edited:
Yeah in vanilla Warband and most mod overhauls there was zero reason to ever enter a village or town.
Was it? I may not remember it correctly, but weren't you forced to visit towns just to speak to the local guildmaster and get some quests? Same for castles - you won't be able to speak to a noble until you visit the castle.

I sometimes entered towns to buy workshops in situations where it wasn't clear to me what shops were present from the notables row. Otherwise only gang quests require your presence but I rarely do them (I'm extremely bad at blocking with a weapon ...). And I usually inspect my first castle and first town by foot.

For the rest I communicate from the talk button and I'm very happy you can do this. Maybe I just did not find such a possibility in Warband, but having to enter settlements for some talks for me was one of the many annoying features of that version of M+B.

Was it? I may not remember it correctly, but weren't you forced to visit towns just to speak to the local guildmaster and get some quests? Same for castles - you won't be able to speak to a noble until you visit the castle.
For the Guildmaster no, and for lords technically yes but it was just a matter of running around the castle room. Imo that's not exactly showcasing a town.

Even if they were to add more interesting things to do in town, they'd still have the problem of the long loading times. The town scenes are almost too nice for their own good. They're beautiful but they take too long to load. That's the whole reason they added the notable quicktalk options in the first place. Nobody wanted to sit through 2-3 minute load screens every time they needed to grab a quest.

So they would really need to either add a ton of cool things to do to justify the wait, or do something to optimize the load times

Even if they were to add more interesting things to do in town, they'd still have the problem of the long loading times. The town scenes are almost too nice for their own good. They're beautiful but they take too long to load. That's the whole reason they added the notable quicktalk options in the first place. Nobody wanted to sit through 2-3 minute load screens every time they needed to grab a quest.

So they would really need to either add a ton of cool things to do to justify the wait, or do something to optimize the load times
Oof, that's painful. I haven't played in so long I guess I forgot that was an issue. 🙁

I often do just to try and roleplay but there's nothing to work with. Such a shame since they mostly look great. Like imagine if notables would approach you in the streets offering quests when your renown is high enough, thugs trying to rob you, the public reacting to you as a ruler etc. etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom