Do you need to cool down after playing Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Tell me one game that is´nt a chore for progression except automatic mobile games ? Heck even Mario was an chore to jump over those holes go figure. Guess its up to one each how they feel. This sounds more of an stress thing
This is a ridiculously defensive statement to someone just giving some solid advice. Calm down, it's a game, not your mother.

This is a ridiculously defensive statement to someone just giving some solid advice. Calm down, it's a game, not your mother.
what are you talking about. Like whining about negativity is solid advice to someone that seems stressed. Not playing intense action games before bedtime and chill out 30-60 min before is on point as an advice about the subject

Last edited:
Heh, reminds me of when I discovered warband in 2014. Just playing native, I got by with 2 hours sleep on a Saturday. Somehow I like the music in warband better.

I tend to get this if I really put a lot of hours into a game at medium to high level of concentration. Especially at first when the game is more addictive. I don't really worry about it too much. I haven't had this with Bannerlord, maybe because I tend to do other things while I'm playing it.

Ok, I don't want to sound like crazy but I will probably will anyway.
I usually play the game every day since the release for about 3 hours before going to sleep. This is after my 5 year old gets too sleep and my wife watches some Netflix. All good so far.
But the game is so intensive and repetetive that when I go to bed I just can't get rid of thinking what I should do next and this game music is in the head. It is not funny at all.
Last night I couldn't fall asleep at all. I deleted the game at 6:15 am.
Played dozens of casual games before and never experienced stuff like that.
Its the anticipation that builds up all day, it gives the brain dopamin, so it will try replicate it any way it can after you finish the game.

I usually play the game every day since the release for about 3 hours before going to sleep. This is after my 5 year old gets too sleep and my wife watches some Netflix. All good so far.
But the game is so intensive and repetetive that when I go to bed I just can't get rid of thinking what I should do next and this game music is in the head. It is not funny at all.
I felt the same in Warband friend, playing this game is quite addictive, but I found out it happens with everygame out there. Its the dopamine videogame produces in our brain what keeps us addicted to it, and doing anything else just doesnt gives the same amount of dopamine to find atractive enough to do it or to think about it. I think deleting it its a good choice, but you will come back to it anyways, I know because I've been there too.
I know some people are smart enough to control it, but damn it is hard.

Have you tried weight lifting, mate? I can't imagine anyone having sleep problems after heavy squat session during the day. Regardless of their pre bedtime routine. :smile:

what are you talking about. Like whining about negativity is solid advice to someone that seems stressed. Not playing intense action games before bedtime and chill out 30-60 min before is on point as an advice about the subject
He told him basically not to play the game if it stresses him out, as he had the same problem. Some games are repetitive and stressful, many games aren't. Just because someone doesn't enjoy something you do doesn't mean you have to attack them. Look at his reply to you even he's confused about why you're taking it personally. Seriously dude it's a game. Calm down.

Yep, I have it all the time when I'm really IN a game, to the point of sort of forgetting about pretty much everything else. Usually I always had a specific goal (eg. Become sole queen of Calradia in warband, have 5 stars on all islands in Jurassic world or have my oldest child reach 18 in bannerlord) and I wouldn't find peace until that goal was reached. After that I'm usually able to close the game and not think about it again for months.

Oh this type of thing happens to me with every game I play obsessively :grin: It's interesting to go to sleep when you just see flashes of the game graphics and hear the music - like you're falling into a psychotic state!

I hope this mean that my brain is having a good exercise.

Damn man , you got the gamer's bug ! You are forced to work harder than others , so that you life doesn't suddenly become no-life! :grin:

I have a suggestion on what you should do to sleep faster , but i guess you've already tried that multiple times.

He told him basically not to play the game if it stresses him out, as he had the same problem. Some games are repetitive and stressful, many games aren't. Just because someone doesn't enjoy something you do doesn't mean you have to attack them. Look at his reply to you even he's confused about why you're taking it personally. Seriously dude it's a game. Calm down.

Attacked him? And taking it personally? Damn some are in a drama mood..... i asked a question to the guy who being personal negative about the game type of "advice" and made a statement about what games arent grind in general ? Some people are just to sensitive these days. But i can see that you dont like this type of game either so guess it was some kind of advice for certain agendas i guess ^^

I mean every game can be seen as an stressfull grind and for others relaxing depending on how you see it, how you work as a person and how you feel inside

Last edited:
It is good general advice to not play a game right up until bedtime. Some people can, and still sleep well, but it effects most people.

Some of my favourite games like 4X genre (just one more turn!), XCOM and the Mount & Blade formula hook you into keeping playing a given session by filling the possibility space of your mind. You've got ideas racing in your head and you don't want to forget them, but when you act them out to relieve that psychological tension, the game masterfully lays out more bread crumbs so that your mind fills with more ideas... the next thing you know its 3 in the morning.

If you find it difficult to get up from the game to go to bed, or just need help walking away from it sooner in the evening so you can clear it from you mind and do something else before bed, write down all the things you want to get done before you log out. Once they are written down you won't be scared that you're going to forget them, and you can actually log out without doing them. Better still, because you haven't done them and been presented with breadcrumbs to stimulate the next idea about what to do, you break the cycle and it helps free you from the game until the next time you choose to sit down to play.

Play the game. Don't let the game play you.

i have this Problem with most games. Years ago, i started to watch a short TV shot (Like how i met your mother - 22 Min.) or something like taht after a late gaming session.

I takes my mind of and i fall alseep fast!

Note that I didn't screen the links below, but it's a mechanism that has been extensively studied courtesy of NASA and their efforts not to have neurotics run their space stuff.

Generally, to get a proper (not just long, but with all necessary cycles working as intended) sleep, we need to limit light exposure directly before sleep. Not just quantity, but wavelengths matter here, as for first 248 000 years we relied on sun and stars to help our unconscious nervous system calibrate. When playing games, watching shows or using our phone - we bombard our eyes with flickering light of warying wavelengths.

This is only one factor, but a rather big one.

I'd reccommend reading history books after the game, to process it and get the light out of equation, but that might not drive away the vivid dreams of Butterlord Conquests. I suppose some people read non-history books, might be worth looking into.

I've had this before, usually with games that are deeply dissatisfying in some way, or that engage the wrong part of my brain. The problem for me in bannerlord is how disconnected the mechanics are from the roleplay aspect. Instead of thinking in terms of the character motivations I'm thinking in terms of minmaxing and metagaming the completely abstract systems, and it becomes this weird fever dream subconscious sleepwalk where, if you're lucky, you eventually think "why am I even playing" and alt+f4.

I also get the same sleepless experience when games repeat the same audiovisual experience too much, or if there's too much of a disconnect between music and the actual experience of playing the game. I once played Cossacks 1 which is an absurdly janky, completely inhuman ukranian strategy game with music so bad it makes 100 gecs look like Aram Khachaturian. Check it out:

This song, combined with the fact that soldiers march slowly and robotically only to get mown down by cannons in the hundreds, was so unbelievably bad that it triggered a depressive episode which lasted a week. This game unironically made me want to kill myself. I can fully understand a bad game making you unable to sleep.

After I play the game (or any other) I generally go in the bathroom & start reading while brushing my teeth & stuff. I'll usually read for 15 minutes to half an hour. The game may still be on mind when I go to bed, but I'm not intensely focused on it (of course if its a oood book, sometimes I'll be rather focused on that instead, lol).

I play Rimworld after bannerlord to cool down ... but that usually makes me more stressed. Not sure if i should start a new game of Bannerlord, I'm currently stuck with this game (3 fish in a small pond, me the smallest)

Back
Top Bottom