Do you like the new campaign videos at the opening?

Users who are viewing this thread

I just noticed for 1.5.10 when you start a new campaign, it will show you a long videos for how the Calradia empire is forming and devide

do you like this video? I think it's pretty cool
except personally I would prefer a deep old male voice like grandpa for audio scripts.

It's just there. The artwork is good but the voice-over was written and the scenes depicted so generically you can literally replace the game with only one name change and maybe a number change.

Last edited:

Thanks, I guess I see what you mean.. But is that only applicable to Bannerlord or isnt that the case with most game-intros.

I think that, it just being scenes and a voiceover, feels a bit.. unconvincing. Bad prologues or intros are when we are told to care without being shown why we should care. Or telling us to have certain emotions or feelings about a story without letting those develop.

EDIT: I am backpedaling a bit in the case of BL, contextual information is welcome and appreciated, but improvements can be made.

toothpick ~ intro video
bb5aa44a6f4fa4b5fa9b7435a496726e.jpg

It's just there. The artwork is good but the voice-over was written and the scenes depicted so generically you can literally replace the game with only one name change and maybe a number change.

Yeah it's like every other B-game trailer. LONG AGO....A GREAT EMPIRE...UNITE THE TRIBES....blah blah blah please do the artwork more justice than this. No voiceover at all would have been better, or at the very least more efficient writing.

This game (Deserts of Kharak) was arguably worse than bannerlord, but its cutscenes are a million times more interesting to look at despite using fewer drawings and having a lot less dialogue or bombast. I know it would be weird for bannerlord to suddenly have good writing in the intro, but the stilted hypergeneric dialogue in the bannerlord cutscene really stood out to me when I first saw it.

Here's another one. This is just screenshots from the level, and its fairly utilitarian, but it sends chills down my spine just watching it. It has decided on a tone and does everything to try and convey it. What tone is the bannerlord intro trying to convey? Who or what am I supposed to care about or root for (or against) after watching it?

I have to admit that the trailer lacks the "oomf" factor.

After all, Bannerlord is war game, and I'd lie if I didn't say I lament that moment everything turns into real chaos, where you feel the tension, how war is plaguing a once relatively peaceful continent... it is said and insinuated at some points, but never really showcased... It would have been nice seeing some clips of Neretze's Folly showcasing the situation deteriorating.

Dawn of War and pre-Rome 2 TW always did it for me, especially these two:

Also, the Thrones of Britannia trailer, which uses the same animated illustrations technique is pretty cool (although I dislike the voice-over and constant "shoo- catching" effects).

Last edited:
I think the intro is quite good and tells you a bit of history while visually prepping you for the different kingdoms that will duke it out. You can see enough to get curious and say to yourself "I'll play as these guys" (the vikings, of course - or stealthy archer Robinhoods if you are a wus).
It's especially good compared to the rest of the game.
What tone is the bannerlord intro trying to convey? Who or what am I supposed to care about or root for (or against) after watching it?
There's going to be warfare and you'll need to take a side, that's the short message. You are also told by granny that someone (possibly you) should bring order and peace at the point of a sword. Of course, she doesn't mention that looters will make this impossible.
It is mostly a sandbox game, so the intro needs to be vague, unlike in most other games which are heavily scripted and can afford more interesting and focused storytelling in their intros.

@Calabanar : that's right on point, comparing the Bannerlord intro to Total War intros is most fair as they have similar assumptions.

Edit: my favorite intro is the Mass Effect 2 intro because you get rekt by some anons with good theme music and, to your big surprise, die. I like surprises.

Last edited:
Yeah, small indi studios should definitely spend tons of money and other resources for epic cinematic trailers like SEGA/Total War, or Blizzard, or EA do! :mrgreen: (no, it's was a sarcasm)

Oh, btw I got an idea - you could announce a contest between fans to make them create a cool trailer for you.
I watched pretty cool cinematic battles on Youtube, I believe some ppl who do such things would be interested.

The Thrones of Britannia trailer literally uses the same animation technique as the Bannerlord intro.

In any case, it's about the "oomf" factor. You can get that with a tiny budget, the trailer could be an animatic, if it were well done it would still have impact. What matters is the writing, build-up and sound design. And come on stop presenting Taleworlds as a tiny Indie dev studio. It's a sizeable Indie studio that obviously has the ressources.

Anyway, here is an example of impactful animation with no connection to the subject that showcases tension build-up, just for you @R1919:

I'm not ****ting on the trailer either, i like it, doesn't stop me from thinking how it could have been better.

Thanks, I guess I see what you mean.. But is that only applicable to Bannerlord or isnt that the case with most game-intros.
It definitely isn't unique to Bannerlord. TW: Attila did similar, although it at least had the excuse of being able to rely on history. People already know what Rome was, who the Huns were, and have figuratively invested themselves in the conflict. I personally think HBS Battletech did the whole rise and fall of an Empire intro better, without voiceover.
Yeah it's like every other B-game trailer. LONG AGO....A GREAT EMPIRE...UNITE THE TRIBES....blah blah blah please do the artwork more justice than this. No voiceover at all would have been better, or at the very least more efficient writing.
It would be better if this were the game startup intro, with each faction having their own cutscene when starting a new campaign. Then they could get into perspectives and reasons to favor one side over another, since players generally align their character culture with the faction they intend to base their playthrough on.

It is mostly a sandbox game, so the intro needs to be vague, unlike in most other games which are heavily scripted and can afford more interesting and focused storytelling in their intros.
I mean, the world is open but the events of 1077-1083 still work for framing. It isn't like a sandbox mode playthrough completely dispenses with Arencios' assassination, the Battle of Pendraic, Caladog murdering his adopted father, etc. So there's enough for the intro to name names and place places.

I mean, the world is open but the events of 1077-1083 still work for framing. It isn't like a sandbox mode playthrough completely dispenses with Arencios' assassination, the Battle of Pendraic, Caladog murdering his adopted father, etc. So there's enough for the intro to name names and place places.
That would require some dry, prosaic delivery by Granny and Granny can only do epics.
But I get it would have been more exciting to show some historical action, particularly battles (because the game is about battles), although that's hard to do with this art style.
Maybe they chose not to do details so they could change them later if needed.

By the way, does anyone know WHO made the intro? Did they hire an intro-making company? It doesn't look in-house for some reason (and that reason is quality :smile:).

Another epic intro, Captain Picard tells you he's gonna die, you are shown Hell's vagina and then the trumpets give you goosebumps.

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone know WHO made the intro? Did they hire an intro-making company? It doesn't look in-house for some reason (and that reason is quality :smile:).
Of all the criticism I've seen the game get, this is some of the oddest. The static artwork looks pretty good, if not as immediately iconic as the work by Ganbat.

Of all the criticism I've seen the game get, this is some of the oddest. The static artwork looks pretty good, if not as immediately iconic as the work by Ganbat.
I was saying it looks too good for TW, a bit cheekily. Intro good, TW bad.
It's still interesting to know who and what was involved in the process, including casting and the voice-over copy.

Back
Top Bottom