Do you enjoy smithing?

Do you actually enjoy smithing?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

If you actually look at those early videos they never said we could craft only that we could go and get weapons crafted.
Having to actually find a craftsman, give them materials and pay a ton of money for a custom crafted weapon (different craftsmen having access to different pieces) actually sounds like a much less laborious way of getting stuff. Slightly more immersive as well since me, a peasant, making high grade throwing axes and polearms seems a bit odd.

But most of these are barred behind a painful mechanic which is obviously not the gameplay this game was sold for.
Yeah I agree with that. Now I actively seek out wars and participate in them. For my first few dozen hours I was constantly walking around, trading, doing quests, trying not to go broke by going in every tournament ever. I got to clan rank 3 without fighting in a single war, more or less. It was honestly not that fun. Now all I focus on is warfighting, and only do things that support that character to that end. It's a lot more fun (I get to do more than one encounter per 30 mins) and I don't worry about trading, smithing and questing unless its to raise relations. (Impossible to find two handed hammers for smelting anyway). So I get what you mean, the mechanic is systematically integrated yes, but not in a way that successfully supports what is meant to be the core of the game.
All the systems are fun to explore at first, but for people who have played this and previous titles a lot then the novelty wears off and we notice how non-useful some things become.

P.s. question, are caravans worth it?

Smithing is completely ruining the Singleplayer experience, and killing any hope of the balance possibility.

Investments like getting a workshop or funding a caravan? Useless! Taxing the peasants or receiving tribute from the defeated kingdoms? Needless! I can make tons and tons of denars via crafting some 2h cleavers in a random town that sells hardwoods. And I don't even need to own a smithing workshop in that town because some random idiot NPC there will just let me use his blacksmith gears and make a great deal of fortune without paying him at least some rents or tips.

I was hoping Smithing in MB2 to provide some advanced mechanic that allows us players to modify our troops. But instead the devs just let its Smithing feature to drag MB2 down to a cheap mobile game. I do have a phone, but please don't use the mobile game design philosophy to design a singleplayer PC game, especially not the great great M&B game.
there's one that takes roughly less time, which's Charm build and play as a mercenary forever. (I managed to amass 10m with it ridiculously fast, but the grind for Charm can take a while, beats smithing because you actually do stuff)

I always got bored after 2 minutes with this, the order thing doesn't add any fun either, whole thing is extremely repetitive, grind few months irl to craft 1 sword just doesn't make sense to me, and the player exclusive skill tree is questionable too
old gamescom version of smithy could to be much better, cash/&regional based instead of grind based so no one need to crawl through the asylum first
It's crap. Most of the weapon parts float with eye-hurting gaps between blades, hilts, scabbards, you name it. Meaning if you go for looks, it sucks, and it has this ridiculous grinding for parts that's still mostly RNG based, but with the caveat that now you HAVE to unlock Tier by Tier part by part. It's so fking imbecile. You'll also be forced to waste some companion focus pts to actually get anywhere with it under a viable time-frame. And it doesn't stop there, you're also forced to keep waiting like a moron in towns because "sTaMiNa"... Really.
The only delicious thing about it was when it was broken in our favor, which basically you'd unlock the harpoon head + stick for javs and sell those for infinite money, now the prices are way down so it's not as magical as it used to be (it would also skyrocket the skill quite fast and dismiss the annoying micro-management of having 50 refining companions)

But it's always like that, at first glance, caravans were good too, than they were destroyed by "bAlAnCiNg", only returned now but are still pretty much useless because their "profit" does not justify it's price, the caravan will have to survive countless days and mange to net income from trading, and more often than not they can't do neither. (even now) Reason for the crap income's because they've messed with their pseudo-economy and it's now pretty much broken due to even more RNG (just like Wanderers, seed RNG goes off, and you might get 50 towns with 3 breweries in them). Not only that, they've basically shifted values and the new workshop meta is basically having silversmiths in Sanala, Ortysia and if you're lucky about rhaegea commiting suicide, Onira. Any other workshop in any other town are practically useless (20k up to 38k in price to start, with an average income of 200 less, that means it takes on average 140 in-game days for it to pay itself, it's a waste of resources). With a long playthrough, capturing sanala and ortysia and boosting companions, the most I would earn from both was a bit less than 300 on average. Than I cheated a perfect governor for each town, than they skyrocketed up to 1k, but that's virtually impossible to accomplish without cheating comps because leveling them's crap and there aren't enough focus pts for it. On the other hand, with a somewhat okay build and a decent town, you can flip thousands a day from it, in essence, anything but warmongering isn't profitable. You can make more money than a king in-game and much faster by simply spamming bandits, it's ludicrous :lol: :lol: :lol:

Basically they are adding more and more stuff that turn the game into a click-simulator.

Last edited:
Believable system for me would be:

1. Make-to-order => each kingdom/culture has one master smith (fine and damascus steel products) and few ordinary (iron products) across their cities. You stop by, order, production time ticks, you come back to pick up your new shiny sword or armour

2. Do-it-yourself => prerequisite is owning smithy + placing a companion in charge of it, preferably with some good smithing skills to start with. He operates your workshop as any other, gain passive xp over time + active xp by fulfilling your special orders. You can supply him with material to secure fluent production = workshop has a warehouse.

+ charcoal is a product of woodcutting oriented villages where you buy it. Noone in his right mind did this in the town center at smithy. Charcoal burners were isolated communities in the forests who turned residual wood into charcoal. Dirty, time-consuming and ungrateful job.

Same system can be further applied to Wood workshops where you can order some good high poundage composite bow or longbow, arrows,shields...

More like the people who enjoy smithing enjoy mobile games and slot machines because of the waste of time and the randomness. :razz:

I do not think even they would like this. There's absolutely no reward, not even giant weird bubbles telling you that you did awesome or something. It's just boring. lol

I can think of no other game where smithing is displayed even nearly as uninspired and tedious as in Bannerlord. Fits the game, though.

I also disagree with an earlier reply that smithing doesn't integrate with the game at all. You use towns to buy base materials using currency or smelt weapons from the game, then you make weapons that can be sold, used or smelted. You can also make weapons by request to increase relation with notables and earn more cash. That integrates with the rest of the game in many ways, even if it doesn't necessarily impact the core area of gameplay for most people.

So all smithing does is eat resources or make money, so by that metric a cheat trainer is an integrated part of the game. The act of smithing itself is just a minigame where you might as well be playing something completely different. Whenever you come out of the smithing menu it's like "ah okay no more joking around, now its time to play the real game again". You feel like you alt-tabbed into a [DAEM0NWAR3Z] Bannerlord 1.8.9 Beta Cheat Trainer +32 that also has a cooldown timer for activating cheats.

Having to actually find a craftsman, give them materials and pay a ton of money for a custom crafted weapon (different craftsmen having access to different pieces) actually sounds like a much less laborious way of getting stuff. Slightly more immersive as well since me, a peasant, making high grade throwing axes and polearms seems a bit odd.
I'd make it even simpler and let the blacksmith provide all the materials so all you have to do is pick out your components and pay the cost. I like the idea of different culture blacksmiths having access to different components.

I do think that the ability to smith armor is one major missing feature.
Theoretically? yes.

Practically? Hell no. Have you seen how many pieces of armor are available in this game? With the way smithing is working now, you have to win the random lottery to get good pieces to craft or spend 93% of your playthrough resting in town or smelting armor just to get a helmet that isn't a sack cloth with eyeholes.

I can't even being to imagine how busted this would be. If I can make a weapon that's worth 50K+ how much worse would it be if I could make armor worth 250K+? You could buy out a town's resources and still not equal what a high tier armor would be worth. If we could go to a smith and get a piece of armor crafted that we want that would be fantastic.

that would take a huge amount of time because they probably had a plan to make "armor parts" just as with weapons. It wouldn't be very good if you ask me, the clippings and floating of items already excrutiating at times as it is. In fact I don't use smithed swords for that reason.

There is unnecessary clutter of all the components at each smithy. While I can understand the intention of devs to impress player with sheer quantity of choice, they would do better with having culture focused offer. In Battania you have battanian stuff, empire has imperial stuff etc. For armour I wouldn't go anywhere near the weapons component volume. Mail hauberk is mail hauberk.

I think it's petty cool to roleplaying smithy but problem is too grinding and too limited reward (I wasn't talk about money, it's just quest/order offer mere tiny gold, not beyond than that. Smithy should be very good profit, but downside, you too busy working on smith rather than battle, more or less, Smith is always useful to army, it's core to keep all weapon and armor in good health and even design better than normal, so I am glad it's part of game, but there is no craft of arrow/bow/armor, even horse armor to make custom looking, and personal touch. But Biggest problem is just too grinding and rest lot of to level up to get what you want, and too many locked, and unlocked weapon random, it's take forever if playing normal game without cheat/mod that allowed to unlock all items, even then, rest then craft, then rest, then craft, buy lot of wood and iron again and again, it's not fun. Should smithy part of game, oh yes, but should be lot of grinding? No, no way.

While Smithing should be very profit, it's second since everything other can be profit too, trade, raiding, loot, quest's paycheck, so go on but real a main reason is personal craft your own looking/damage/speed weapon/armors, and role playing in medieval age.

I think it's petty cool to roleplaying smithy but problem is too grinding and too limited reward (I wasn't talk about money, it's just quest/order offer mere tiny gold, not beyond than that. Smithy should be very good profit, but downside, you too busy working on smith rather than battle, more or less, Smith is always useful to army, it's core to keep all weapon and armor in good health and even design better than normal, so I am glad it's part of game, but there is no craft of arrow/bow/armor, even horse armor to make custom looking, and personal touch. But Biggest problem is just too grinding and rest lot of to level up to get what you want, and too many locked, and unlocked weapon random, it's take forever if playing normal game without cheat/mod that allowed to unlock all items, even then, rest then craft, then rest, then craft, buy lot of wood and iron again and again, it's not fun. Should smithy part of game, oh yes, but should be lot of grinding? No, no way.

While Smithing should be very profit, it's second since everything other can be profit too, trade, raiding, loot, quest's paycheck, so go on but real a main reason is personal craft your own looking/damage/speed weapon/armors, and role playing in medieval age.
I'm not trying to be a **** but I honestly see how anyone could rp as a smith in this game. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom