Do you enjoy smithing?

Do you actually enjoy smithing?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I spent 10 minutes in 500h + smiting,a waste of development time and disk space,like the scenes, useless and without any interest, half of the total game size, and used less than 1%

Smithing is something that should primarily be left to NPCs.
i always wonder how it went from the original idea to the current blacksmith roleplay version, link is their old version that is NPC based, the could be casual smithy that would suit the need of the players maybe once in a while. and maybe some related quest.

I think it's boring and waiting for stamina is a waste of CAMPAIGN TIME, you can spend that time pursuing your goals and make plenty of money in the mean time.
I look at smithing as a DOUBLE NOOB TRAP:
sadly it's ture, game punish player for using the smithy with a jail time, wasting time while halting everything completely, just to realize it's not anywhere near to the focus of the game. and ultimately fade out because it's not necessary anymore.
I like it. You autists need to stop having it removed lol.
to be fair i personally liked the idea, but the process is where near enjoyable, and no one wanting it to be removed
It's very comfy and one of the only things to do in the game besides battle lol
if this is the case then maybe what you wanted it's not the smithing but interesting sidequest, mission and story.

Last edited:
In this case it does, or can you explain to me what smithing does in my playthrough if I don´t smith?
Well, players often think it effects TWs motivation to actually balance income and stuff. If they see casual players saying "oh I just smith for money it's EZ goo goo gah gah" then they can say "SEE, there's no money problems in the game shud up hoopuu take your meds". On the other hand, these players get themselves stuck in a loop where they're depending on smithing (and waiting) for the means to finance their faction and get stuck trying to pay for over sized garrisons and overprices peace payments and never make any progress because they never learned how to really play the game at all. It's sounds stupid but you will find post about all the time on reddit and such about how they have to pay so much because blah blah blah and they have to smith to afford it, but of course the enemy just keep re-assembling and re-siege'n so all that waiting effs em over.

Sure, I know those threads. But after reaching mid/endgame you´re just fighting endless battles which provide more than enough income and other benefits (as you already said). Everything else but battles can be compltely ignored and you´ll still have more money than you can spend.

The whole "economy" doesn´t make much sense to me.

In this case it does, or can you explain to me what smithing does in my playthrough if I don´t smith?

To be fair I haven't played in a long while, but last time I had the game installed you could just smith a handful of swords and skip the entire earlygame grind for money. Once you knew about that exploit it made it impossible not to resent the game if you didn't smith, because you knew it was wasting your time.

I hereby testify, if I want to skip smithing I can without any problem.
Furthermore, if I would want to smith for the money, it is far more easier to use a cheat code to get money, because smithing for money is wasting time.

I hereby testify, if I want to skip smithing I can without any problem.
Furthermore, if I would want to smith for the money, it is far more easier to use a cheat code to get money, because smithing for money is wasting time.
i do it since day 1, no stamina, no materials, no unlocks, grab my ****s and never ever bother with it again

i do it since day 1, no stamina, no materials, no unlocks, grab my ****s and never ever bother with it again
I played once as a smith and it was boring af, stopped this campaign right after hitting 300… Now I just use it for making 2h maces, because these aren’t sold in towns, at least in my most recent games

Do I enjoy smithing? No, but I could if they changed it. There's many bad designs like:
1. Stamina doesn't regenerate during traveling/fighting (it should regenerate at reduced rate)
2. Discovering parts should be decided by a player. Parts of Tier 3-4-5 should require a smithing lvl to create (not a lvl 20 smith creating a weapon worth 15k or better than any other item in game).
3. Smithing orders are boring. You have to find 1 matching combination of a blade/handle and that's it. Sometimes you even fail while passing all the requiremnts .
4. I feel forced to level it due to having 2 attribute points (that's 8 character levels...) being locked behind perks in the smithing tree.

I am 100% against removing it tho. I think adding armor-smithing or fletchery might make it more interesting as a skill. Either to add up to smithing or as independant skills.
True, but it´s your decision. I mean smithing can just be complety ignored and has no impact.
True, smithing is totally optional, however it still should be balanced more or less.
I like smithing. It's very comfy and one of the only things to do in the game besides battle lol
This, beside tournaments giving us about 1k gold?????????? Smithing is only thing to do beside battling/questing (that involves battling in majority or traveling).
If an exploit like that exists, it takes extra willpower not to use it, making the grinding that much more annoying because now you're only doing it for roleplay purposes.
Dev console exists too yet I don't feel any need to use it.
I spent 10 minutes in 500h + smiting,a waste of development time and disk space,like the scenes, useless and without any interest, half of the total game size, and used less than 1%
It can't be half of the game size, come on :grin:.

PS: Should add rating from 1 to 5 or "mixed" feeling to the poll.

Last edited:
Smithing feels like cheating the game. Not fun at all for me.

I do agree with people saying that smithing feels totally disconnected from the game.

i always wonder how it went from the original idea to the current blacksmith roleplay version, link is their old version that is NPC based, the could be casual smithy that would suit the need of the players maybe once in a while. and maybe some related quest.

[...]

+1
I don't get it either. Some time ago I brought the same feedback, basically reintroducing the weaponsmith element.

Considering all the journey of this mechanic... I honestly wouldn't have gone overboard with the economics-crafting theme. Certainly something like what Bloc told us would be the most interesting if mixed eventually with some roleplay ways. Check this out:

True, but it´s your decision. I mean smithing can just be complety ignored and has no impact.
You and I agree on a lot of things but in this case I feel you're completely wrong. Any game that has glaring mechanics that can be abused ie Skyrim's fortify Resto alchemy loop, is going to be used by gamers. Sure a small percentage of people might stay away from it but most won't. It's why most good devs try to remove exploits because players will abuse the hell out of them and in turn ruin the balance, which ruins the fun so they stop playing. The smithing system is like putting a cookie on the table and telling a child now you mustn't eat it because it will ruin their dinner then you leave the room. You know damn well what's going to happen.

To answer the ops question smithing is horribly unbalanced because it just becomes a way to get rich quick. It's a huge time waster, and worst of all it uses random unlocks which is probably the worst part of it. Whoever came up with this system needs to get out of developing games because this is the worst crafting system I've ever seen in a video game and I've been playing games for over 20 years. 😒

You and I agree on a lot of things but in this case I feel you're completely wrong. Any game that has glaring mechanics that can be abused ie Skyrim's fortify Resto alchemy loop, is going to be used by gamers. Sure a small percentage of people might stay away from it but most won't. It's why most good devs companies try to remove exploits because players will abuse the hell out of them and in turn ruin the balance, which ruins the fun so they stop playing. The smithing system is like putting a cookie on the table and telling a child now you mustn't eat it because it will ruin their dinner then you leave the room. You know damn well what's going to happen.

To answer the ops question smithing is horribly unbalanced because it just becomes a way to get rich quick. It's a huge time waster, and worst of all it uses random unlocks which is probably the worst part of it. Whoever came up with this system needs to get out of developing games because this is the worst crafting system I've ever seen in a video game and I've been playing games for over 20 years. 😒
I found your error and corrected it ! :wink:

Sure, the best way is to make smithing more useful or "better", but we all no it won´t happen :iamamoron:

What if it was done this way by Anagram-of-anagram who rushed this days before the EA release? A notable game designer, entrepreneur, space game explorer, intern enthusiast and perpetual student of project management? You may have mounted your last blade on this forum if Erminas finds out what you said.

+1
I don't get it either. Some time ago I brought the same feedback, basically reintroducing the weaponsmith element.

Considering all the journey of this mechanic... I honestly wouldn't have gone overboard with the economics-crafting theme. Certainly something like what Bloc told us would be the most interesting if mixed eventually with some roleplay ways. Check this out:

I must have skipped it back then :grin:, but what frank said including that parts assembly system is exactly what's in my mind.

I also watched your thread and suggestions and my thought is the smithing skill should be replaced with something beneficial to the gameplay like a shield skill.
Radical but just like why smithy was replaced, there are no need to have two same thing exist parallelly.
The skill itself was breaking the rule of everything interacts with the world like the economy. This disconnected skill still making trouble after two year investment of manpower, if all the manpower was invested into the original idea creating side quest etc, this part of the game would have considered finished while there will only be a few complain but many suggestions. at least it is what i think.

Everything related to smithing is questionable as if it was a last minute decision to made it into a skill.
It's just so sad and tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom