Do you believe the game will be finished in 10 months?

Do you believe the game will be finished in 10 months?

• Yes

Votes: 59 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 252 81.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I gotta say, I have often tried to cool down haters on this forum and I still think that there's no point in joining that bandwagon, but watching this video I can't say that I don't see where they are coming from. Less hyping, more raiding in the pre EA period would have been a more productive attitude. Hearing what Armagan is saying in this video and seeing what we actually have in hand now... It's disappointing, and I am being kind.

I seen that quite a while ago, and I figured they were really just ironing out a lot of stuff to put out a great early access experience. Initially I thought they had succeeded in that, I mean yeah it took 5 straight days of crash patching before I could play but I mean look what they seemingly had. They formations and configurations that seemingly worked well enough, they had perks and a character progression system, a diplomacy system that you could see would seemingly work when you made your own kingdom, you even had a main story questline although basic it was something. I thought "Oh well this game is close to done, makes sense".

Then you get a few hours in and realize that actually those perks don't work, that diplomacy system isn't in. That AI is barely functioning. A lot of stuff seems like it was set up as a tech demo you would show on stream like "look at this diplomacy and perks!" when in actuality they're just words, placeholders not listed as such, deceptive.

Then when I seen how they were actually doing the systems. How long it was taking them to get one perk line done and their solutions to basic AI behaviors it clicked. The progress is gunna be super, super slow. I was a little offended by this but... now it's just whatever. They're going at the pace they're going and there's not much we can do or say about it.

Last edited:
You have to be careful when you set expectations. People will crucify you if you under deliver.

I don't think this is getting done in this time frame, no. I would rather see it done right than done on time.

I just hope they add a loooot more content. The game gets boring around the 75-100 hour mark. I know that's still getting your moneys worth, but the game has endless potential.

I just hope they add a loooot more content. The game gets boring around the 75-100 hour mark. I know that's still getting your moneys worth, but the game has endless potential.

I agree, right around that 75-100 hour mark is where I got tired of it as well. That may seem like a lot but comparing that to other strategy games I enjoy (Civ IV & V, Crusader Kings, Total War series, Stellaris, X-Com, etc.) it's like a drop in the bucket, I got hundreds and hundreds of hours out of most of those games and am most likely going to revisit or have revisited them consistently throughout the years. Right now, if all they do is fix the stuff they have in the game (basically what their road map is now) I'll probably get maybe one more campaign in, then it will be up to the modding community. Don't get me wrong I love mods, but we're looking at a year until the game MAY be released and the mod tools released as well, then months after that for them to do some kind of overhaul. Even then, there are some seriously broken aspects that need to be looked at that modders may not be able to fix, like the combat and lord ai.

Guess we'll see. I'd like to say I got my money with over 100 hours but a lot of that time was spent restarting, crashing, dealing with bugs, and frustratingly trying to reach points just to see what would happen.

Value for dollar (or whatever your currency is) isn't bad, until you compare it to other strategy games like Civ, CK, etc. I play these too and get what you're saying there.

There's potential, of course. I've been pondering whether or not bandits belong in the game at all, or at least in such a central role. What gets tiresome at that late hour is that you have to do the same thing so many times and much of it just isn't related to the core of the game. Like in the other games I've mentioned most of what you do is related to the core of the game itself, but here it's almost as if you're doing a lot of work for some moment that never arrives.

I don't know. This is exploratory thinking at this point, I haven't thought it all the way out.

Dead honest, if they would release the mod tools now, the game would be done next month with 20 High Class DLCs all made by the community for free and in better quality than TW themself could have done it.
But since that is just merely a dream, and TW will be the only one working on the game (most likely) till release the EA will be AT LEAST 1 1/2 year from now. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it takes longer than that remembering their schedule for the past ~10 years.
There are just a handful of mods ticking those boxes like Brytenwalda for M&B or Enderal for Skyrim. And they took ages to create.

"We update weekly"...never mind just kidding.

It´s EA yada yada, it´s a small indie company yada.....

Reality:

We fix minor stuff.

At least we can play (read enjoy) the game when the mod tools are out.

"We update weekly"...never mind just kidding.
The beta branch will include content that has gone through our internal testing and will be exposed to public testers for at least one week. During this period, we will address discovered issues with hotfixes. Our goal is a weekly cycle where we push our internal version to the beta and the prior beta version to the main Steam build. However, if serious challenges arise, we may delay an update until those issues have been addressed.

?

Lmao it took you 2 months to realise in what state the game is and how it is being developped. I needed only 90 mins to compare it with beta from few weeks before the release and to take into consideration that it took 8 years to create sth like this. This is still early alpha, if you expect fully playable game with all promised features that actually work then cya in 2 years or so when modders rework this wreckage. AND AGAIN it took them 8 years to create this EA test version, how could you expect them to fix everything and add all missing features in less than 10 months.

It looks doable to get the core features and content ready in 10 months.

Balancing is going to be difficult though. Not only do they have economics, factions, troops and items to balance, they also have things like NPC character birth and death rates to balance. This could be quite a headache.

Some of their game design decisions make things harder to balance too, IMO. Like tying troop movement speed with it's athletics skill and equipment weight. It means whenever they change the weight of an item, every troop using that item is going to have their movement speed changed, unless if their athletics skill is tweaked to compensate. Also, whenever an item is removed from a troop or replaced it could change the movement speed as well. This is going to suck for the devs and the modders, I think.

It looks doable to get the core features and content ready in 10 months.

Balancing is going to be difficult though. Not only do they have economics, factions, troops and items to balance, they also have things like NPC character birth and death rates to balance. This could be quite a headache.

Some of their game design decisions make things harder to balance too, IMO. Like tying troop movement speed with it's athletics skill and equipment weight. It means whenever they change the weight of an item, every troop using that item is going to have their movement speed changed, unless if their athletics skill is tweaked to compensate. This is going to suck for the devs and the modders, I think.
IIRC the last patch for Warband was 8 years after release...

IIRC the last patch for Warband was 8 years after release...

I wouldn't say a game is finished when it gets it's last patch. It's more about meeting some (subjective) expectations in terms of content, performance, how bugfree it is etc.

And I think it can easily meet the community expectations in 10 months. Of course, there will always be someone dissatisfied with some aspect of the game.

And hopefully they will keep updating the game after it's release.

I wouldn't say a game is finished when it gets it's last patch. It's more about meeting some (subjective) expectations in terms of content, performance, how bugfree it is etc.

And I think it can easily meet the community expectations in 10 months. Of course, there will always be someone dissatisfied with some aspect of the game.

And hopefully they will keep updating the game after it's release.
Agreed.

There are just a handful of mods ticking those boxes like Brytenwalda for M&B or Enderal for Skyrim. And they took ages to create.
I hope you know what exaggeration is, and if you take a look on Bannerlords Nexus page and consider that all that is there rn was done completely without any modding tools is ridiculous.
And before someone here comes with "Those are just small mods", sure they are extremely small and 99,9% of them are doing nothing more than 1-2 scripts. Those 1-2 scripts make the game more immersive than anything we have in Vanilla Bannerlord rn. And the fact that TW hasn't done so many thing in +-10 years that these mods (for example Peasant revolts, Named Bandit factions etc.) do super sucessfully in just 2 months makes me honestly kinda angry/disappointed with TW work ethic. Especially seeing they even deleted some things, that were there in video footage from 3 years ago, even tho they are quite minor, like animations for a gate that gets destroyed and opens up instead of just exploding, soldiers giving audio feedback when you give commands shows me, and gives me a lot of confidence in saying that TW will not be able to finish this game anytime soon.
At this point Bannerlords has become almost like Duke Nukem Forever for me, infinite developing time, and a pretty lackluster end experience. The Difference is that i know how freakin good the Mod Community is.

And i could go on with this forever, why is there a Banner Editor on the Internet but not in the game itself? Why are we stuck with mostly pretty boring Vanilla Banners in the game that are less customizable than a WoW Character creation.
Why is TW not able to fix the economy ingame but the community managed it in less than 2 weeks?
Why is the Replay Editor not in the game yet, a feature that was, if i remember correctly, shown almost 3(!!!) years ago?

Last edited:
Lmao it took you 2 months to realise in what state the game is and how it is being developped. I needed only 90 mins to compare it with beta from few weeks before the release and to take into consideration that it took 8 years to create sth like this. This is still early alpha, if you expect fully playable game with all promised features that actually work then cya in 2 years or so when modders rework this wreckage. AND AGAIN it took them 8 years to create this EA test version, how could you expect them to fix everything and add all missing features in less than 10 months.

Here pal.

Do I believe they will say it's finished in roughly a year or will it actually be in a finished polished state? I think for sure in a year or a year and a half they will have pushed out their "release" version but I mean who cares? They're already selling the game at full price and they can call it whatever they want, they can say it's finished tomorrow and we can't say **** about that.

But I mean we're going on 3 months in and they've finished 1 perk line, sit and think about that for a while. Think about how bare bones basic or non-existent everything is. The AI, the economy, the diplomacy, the perk system, the siege battles, formations, balancing, character progression, quests, bandits, relationships, companions, the map itself, faction balance, all the numerous little things that just don't work.

There is so so sooooo much that has to be done. The framework is there but the game isn't even feature complete and a lot of the stuff in the game is just words with nothing behind them like the perks and diplomacy system and the stuff that is in there are just placeholders, or at least I hope it's place holder as everything is so damn shallow. Even the AI is ridiculously shallow, even for a video game, I play a lot of strategy games I used to really really dumb AI but this game takes it to another level.

I just think we're a ways away from what people would consider "finished".

Well said.

Here pal.
You "can" do this one. Benton's tests are the ones designed for you. GL

Back
Top Bottom