Do developers change the game based on our feedback? Should we have the power to vote on changes?

Should game changes be polls that everyone could vote on?

• yes

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • no

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Will a developer change some in-game mechanics based on our suggestions and can we come up with a better solution to makes changes in the game?

i saw some of the stuff got implemented in the sticky notes, i think we can do more with voting

a majority of players agree that some basic changes need to be done,
such as the class system, which a majority of players prefer the warband gold system over the premade classes system

shouldn't there be a voting system that could change the mechanics of the game?

i know the class system is mandatory from the top so they cant do anything about it,

but on the things you can change (and hopefully one day we can change everything) maybe there could a vote on debuffs/changes to the game that every player can vote on

let the players vote to change the mechanics of the game directly (within reason etc, example: "lower cav hp by 5% hit 1 for yes hit 2 for no")

thank you for reading, hopefully soon you can announce the release date of custom servers so modders can adapt the game where you might be unauthorized to do so, and thank you for all your hard work

No. Main reason being the fact that online votes can easily be exploited. Secondly, it's not our place to decide the direction of the development. I will dare myself and say this. We clients don't know the product as well as we think we do. We're not entitled to such authority either, as we only paid a small amount of money to get the product.

Having the public dictate a development will lead to disaster, and lead to much frustration for the developers. Half-assed ideas will be pushed, and after they get implemented people will see that they suck and want them removed. There will be too many demands to fulfill, too many bugs and issues born, and too many complaints to hear. It will make people act even worse because they think they have authority over the developers.

If you want your input to be heard by developers, here's some tips. Be very polite, really think the idea through, list the benefits of implementing them, describe how to implement them in as much detail as you can, and try to make the implementation steps as simple and easy as possible. If you were a developer of anything, you'd know just how bloody frustrating it is to just hear "X is broken" or "X is bad" from your clients. Broken how?Describe it. How do you want it to be? What part of it is bad? How do you think it can get better? Give more information.

No. Main reason being the fact that online votes can easily be exploited. Secondly, it's not our place to decide the direction of the development. I will dare myself and say this. We clients don't know the product as well as we think we do. We're not entitled to such authority either, as we only paid a small amount of money to get the product.

Having the public dictate a development will lead to disaster, and lead to much frustration for the developers. Half-assed ideas will be pushed, and after they get implemented people will see that they suck and want them removed. There will be too many demands to fulfill, too many bugs and issues born, and too many complaints to hear. It will make people act even worse because they think they have authority over the developers.

If you want your input to be heard by developers, here's some tips. Be very polite, really think the idea through, list the benefits of implementing them, describe how to implement them in as much detail as you can, and try to make the implementation steps as simple and easy as possible. If you were a developer of anything, you'd know just how bloody frustrating it is to just hear "X is broken" or "X is bad" from your clients. Broken how?Describe it. How do you want it to be? What part of it is bad? How do you think it can get better? Give more information.
I believe people would make a good game given enough time,

if you believe that the average person is a bad game designer then yes, the game would deteriorate

i guess this idea only works if you believe the average player is a good game designer

i believe the majority of people are good game designers and i do believe small game changes could be realized,
like lowering cav hp

Last edited:
i believe the majority of people are good game designers and i do believe small game changes could be realized,
No they are not any kind of game designers, they see the game from a purely player perspective. Even veteran players should only be consulted about details and tweaks, but not whole features. The difference between a designer and player mindset is responsibility - as a designer you want the majority of players to benefit from a feature, you don't (or shouldn't) do it just because you personally like it.
The majority of players would only want some ways to make the game easier for them personally, so they shouldn't be taken seriously or asked anything. They need to shut up and play. :mrgreen:

No they are not any kind of game designers, they see the game from a purely player perspective. Even veteran players should only be consulted about details and tweaks, but not whole features. The difference between a designer and player mindset is responsibility - as a designer you want the majority of players to benefit from a feature, you don't (or shouldn't) do it just because you personally like it.
The majority of players would only want some ways to make the game easier for them personally, so they shouldn't be taken seriously or asked anything. They need to shut up and play. :mrgreen:

i believe that a majority players would want to make the game better

would infantry players want nerfs on cav and archers, im sure, and vice versa

but would the overall majority of players be able to find a good balance? i think so

it will be a more active change, and im sure there will be alot of mistakes but i think eventually there will be an happy medium

I think you're alone on this one so far.

Anyway, i think devs should consider our requests and periodically explain what they're doing and why.

For the love of God no, community-driven projects are basically always a disaster and not how you should run your business.

I really hope you never start a business if you think this is a good idea. Talewords software management seems to be the biggest dumpster fire I have ever seen but you want to make it a nuclear one.

The only thing that would be possible is doing a community poll where they get a feel for what is wanted the most at this point in time. They already have this feeling so it would be rather useless.

Let me tell you something about software development. You want to be able to concentrate on what you're doing. Noises like requests and bug reports distract you, and believe me that it's extremely irritating to be distracted. Why? Because it will make your performance worse, and that leads to bugs and changes you will need to fix later. It will snowball quickly.

Say you're working on a set of logic tests for a certain AI, like deciding where an infantry will walk to in a battle. There's a lot of factors to consider, like weapons, surrounding units and stuff. If you're suddenly told to work on a bug fix in the middle of that, you will forget what factors you have and haven't coded in when you come back to it later. Then it will cause an issue like infantry being suicidal, and you will have to patch over it.

This is why tight deadlines are disastrous. It hastens this process. More requests and inputs from the public will mean more noises. More distractions. More issues. More overworked developers. More human errors. More bugs. More issues. And so on.

How bad can this get? Picture this. I can make an application faster and with higher quality solo than an entire team of developers, just because I know how take care of my mental health, and how to make my clients shut the hell up as I work.

Let me tell you something about software development. You want to be able to concentrate on what you're doing. Noises like requests and bug reports distract you, and believe me that it's extremely irritating to be distracted. Why? Because it will make your performance worse, and that leads to bugs and changes you will need to fix later. It will snowball quickly.

Say you're working on a set of logic tests for a certain AI, like deciding where an infantry will walk to in a battle. There's a lot of factors to consider, like weapons, surrounding units and stuff. If you're suddenly told to work on a bug fix in the middle of that, you will forget what factors you have and haven't coded in when you come back to it later. Then it will cause an issue like infantry being suicidal, and you will have to patch over it.

This is why tight deadlines are disastrous. It hastens this process. More requests and inputs from the public will mean more noises. More distractions. More issues. More overworked developers. More human errors. More bugs. More issues. And so on.

How bad can this get? Picture this. I can make an application faster and with higher quality solo than an entire team of developers, just because I know how take care of my mental health, and how to make my clients shut the hell up as I work.
You only need to look at cyberpunk to see what happens when developers are held tightly to deadlines. Honestly - Taleworlds can take as long as they like making bannerlord IMPO. Just as long as the game is getting better.

I would argue that from the MP side - basically nothing has happened though... soo that doesn't always hold true.

I mean, I wouldn't mind it for certain add ons. Not all though. People saying community driven projects are crap shoots but OSRS has had poll booths about content additions for almost 10 years and it has worked quite well.

That's not an excuse for bugs that make the game completely unplayable.

I don't know what kind of application you develop but most development companies work in iterations. I find it very weird to say you don't ask the opinion of your client if he/she likes the application or not.

I would argue that from the MP side - basically nothing has happened though... soo that doesn't always hold true.
Well, instead of demanding or waiting for MP to be fun, I just try to have fun in MP. Just playing to win can get boring and frustrating, so sometimes I just play around like tossing javelins in a tight melee or sneaking around like a ninja in bright Imperial yellow. It's funny when someone realizes what you're doing and play along. Tricking cavs with a Throwing Spear is also funny when you land it.

That's not an excuse for bugs that make the game completely unplayable.

I don't know what kind of application you develop but most development companies work in iterations. I find it very weird to say you don't ask the opinion of your client if he/she likes the application or not.
The game is playable. By any definition, "completely unplayable" is simply not true. Sure armor feels useless, it's annoying to get arrowed to death, and many other issues, but it's playable.

There are times to listen, to talk, and to shut up and work. Many people don't know how to handle that. For example, calling you outside work hours, ruining your important rest and stuff. Of course I listen to my clients and work in iterations. From where else can I get the specifications for the product? My company works on commissions. I just know how to handle my clients so they don't bother me 24/7, and funny thing, if you do your job well, they won't be noisy.

And I'm not excusing anything. I'm just refusing this notion that involving the public will help the devs. Game development is bigger in scale. You need a lot of people. You can't solo it like I solo my projects. More people involved means lots of noise, and you wouldn't want to add even more by involving even more people (the public).

I don't think we necessarily should be able to vote on what new features to add in, but it could be good to occasionally hold a poll to figure out what the biggest issues are at the time. Sometimes it feels like they have the wrong priorities and you could easily get an idea of what most players have problems with.

Of course this would have to be done through the game-lobby itself rather than the forums or else it'd just be the same few of us left repeating the same old problems.

Well, instead of demanding or waiting for MP to be fun, I just try to have fun in MP. Just playing to win can get boring and frustrating, so sometimes I just play around like tossing javelins in a tight melee or sneaking around like a ninja in bright Imperial yellow. It's funny when someone realizes what you're doing and play along. Tricking cavs with a Throwing Spear is also funny when you land it.
I play bannerlord MP at least a few hours every week now - and enjoy almost every moment of it. Don't get me wrong - It's still M&B. Just... nothing has really happened there for so long now. Even Duel mode (which i don't really care for) is still on the sidelines. There's two new siege maps which I'd like to play... but they seem stuck in eternal beta testing...

However I agree with your overall principle.

The game is playable. By any definition, "completely unplayable" is simply not true. Sure armor feels useless, it's annoying to get arrowed to death, and many other issues, but it's playable.

There are times to listen, to talk, and to shut up and work. Many people don't know how to handle that. For example, calling you outside work hours, ruining your important rest and stuff. Of course I listen to my clients and work in iterations. From where else can I get the specifications for the product? My company works on commissions. I just know how to handle my clients so they don't bother me 24/7, and funny thing, if you do your job well, they won't be noisy.

And I'm not excusing anything. I'm just refusing this notion that involving the public will help the devs. Game development is bigger in scale. You need a lot of people. You can't solo it like I solo my projects. More people involved means lots of noise, and you wouldn't want to add even more by involving even more people (the public).
I was talking specifically about a bug that made anyone playing the game almost deaf. This bug report as you say isn't simply "noise". It's a pressing matter that has to be fixed. You can't simply look over it and move on.

Like i said, i don't know what kind of applications you create, but the way you describe it, it seems like the software you develop only goes live when it's completely finished. Early access is a complete different approach to this as you're shipping it to your "client" or consumers in this case in an unfinished state.

You could fix a bug later on when you know the software in question isn't actively being used right now, but this isn't possible for bannerlord. You can't do this for an early access title. Bug fixing is a top priority regardless.

The game is theirs and we shouldn't have a "vote" in its direction without being part of the company.

That aside it's good practice to listen and analyze honest feedback on what's good and what sucks in your product and improve it accordingly, they aren't making the game to keep for themselves after all but to please a public and profit at the same time.

I'm with Jesus here. There were surveys promised that haven't come since beta and the ones back then were a joke since they wouldn't listen to any different ideas than their own anyways. TW direction has been aweful and whats left of the mp playerbase would 100% make much better decisions than the devs have.

Back
Top Bottom