District 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Taimat396

Baron
About a ear old, but I couldn't find a thread. Premiered on sky today. I think.

I thought it was pretty damn good. Got rather pissed off at a lot of people in it. Also, it features the most hatable protagonist in a while, which is...I dunno.

Think it would have been better if it was just a straight story. The documentary stuff at the beginning ruined a fair few bits of the film for both me and my dad. Random words popped out and we were guessing all kinds of **** way before it happened.

Oh, and Nigeria hates it because they eat and **** alien prawn people.

I liked the zoidbergs. But I never got how them and the humans could understand each other.

Oh snap!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty damn good although I don't get why with such superior technology the aliens don't just walk over us once they've recovered a bit. I mean, did you see that mech at the end? Brutal, to say the least.

The majority of the prawns were idiots, I assume most of the intelligent prawns left or died somehow. What was left was a bunch of peasants who didn't know anything worked.

As for language, as is the case with most immigrants; the immigrants learned English while the natives berated them for speaking their own language and didn't bother learning it. Just speak English more loudly and slowly, they'll understand eventually.

It's English they're speaking? Oh. Never noticed that.
Damn immigrants. Assimilation ain't that ****in hard. Learn the goddamn language.

Calodine said:
Wait what? Not sure that the fictional location was actually Nigeria was it? It definitely reminds me Nigeria though, Lagos specifically.
Verbeek said:
Damn immigrants. Assimilation ain't that ****in hard. Learn the goddamn language.
This.

Verbeek said:
Then why are they always talking english, whilst the zoidbergs are talking .. something?
Presumably it'd be inconveniently hard for the zoidbergs to speak a human language in the same way it'd be hard for a human to speak the clicky zoidberg language. No reason they couldn't understand each other, though.

Omzdog said:
Calodine said:
Wait what? Not sure that the fictional location was actually Nigeria was it? It definitely reminds me Nigeria though, Lagos specifically.
Verbeek said:
This.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9#Controversy

Hmm I do recall the Obasanjo in the movie, but its not like the real political figure was a great man or anything. I don't know why Nigerians would care.

Well, I got this film on DVD a few weeks back now and thought it was great, especially the ending.

Back
Top Bottom