Discussion Topic: Should TaleWorlds Bring Dark Knights Back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dark Knights
We were driven back, we were humiliated but now we have returned for vengeance and glory

Instead of adding Embers of the Flames; the guys running around with fancy black robes like freaks. Bring glorious Dark Knights back as a minor faction. Dark Knights were one of the unique thing that Calradia Universe had but they were removed back then because their armor and equipment were superior. I hated them back in the day because they were too over-povered but instead giving them solid steel armors, their armor could be decreased and this may cause a wonderful minor faction to be created. Bringing them back would be giving us the only unique thing that Calradia had. This is least of our concerns right now, I know but when the time comes and all problems are solved, this can be considered to be implemented.

What happens if you reject to join the Dark Knights in one of Mount&Blade's mods? "You get brainwashed and if it doesn't work they simply torture you until you concede. When you finally join to decide, they burn your skin and make you wear the "Black Armor" and causing armor to clinch to your skin and making it unremovable for lifetime." This could be implemented which will improve the lore.

(Veterans know them but I looked around and found a picture of them but that is not their exact looking but here you go)
22Hf4M1.png

For newbies, who are Dark Knights (Official Description): Dark Knights were formerly a type of enemy you could encounter in an early version of Mount&Blade. They wore the finest armor in Calradia, the Black Armor. Due to their superior equipment, they posed too great a threat, not only to the player, but other lords as well. This contributed to their eventual removal from the game.

My word is alone means nothing. Please comment if they should be added or stay out of the game. Discuss with a respective manner.

Last edited:
No. Evsn in tge versions they were in it was just for looking cool and be OP and unlike other factions they didnt have much of anything really

It depends on how they write background stories, like Who are these Dark knights and which faction they are serving for.

Personally, I wouldn't say I like superpowers joined a realistic medieval game.

But in mods, that is obviously can be.

Last edited:
I use Calradia at War and some other spawn mods and they include really powerful bandit lords and units. It's dangerous but also rewarding and interesting, and you have something to do in peacetime.

I would say, op-ness on the individual level is not such a big concern in BL. For example a lvl 38 knight with twice the armor of a lord is not invincible and kills your party singlehandedly, he falls to a bit superior numbers, as it should be (and that's with a mod which makes armor much stronger than in vanilla).

Main concern should be balance for the AI. So I wouldn't mind op bad clans or parties which would not join kingdoms as mercenaries. Or which always come to the aid of the victims of snowballing. :wink:

To start with, I say no, but I'm going to elaborate.

In the first builds (Warrider-Early Mount&Blade) we had that fantasy component much more accentuated than in the later versions due to the fact that we found figures like gouls, undeads and this type of fantastic characters.

The lore, with the time evolved to something more sophisticated abandoning that fantasy trait. Therefore, in my opinion the figure of the black knights has no place in Bannerlord.

Having said that, although these characters in my opinion would be out of place, I think that the invasion event ( Native expansion mod ) would be an interesting plot for Bannerlord. In previous comments I have spoken out in favour of implementing a random invasion in every campaign carried out by the Nords (as lore said). That would make sense in my eyes.

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen in the Native given that not even the most basic mechanics for this to work exist; I am referring to naval battles and sea faring. I think that Taleworlds, perhaps because of the size of the project, has missed the opportunity to cook a complete meal with this type of ingredient; which will undoubtedly come with the desserts "who know when" in the form of a dlc by an uninspired name like "Nord Invasion".

I remember them. I think i saw them in the Berserk mod for the Original M&B.

Bringing them back as a faction would be probably be too much, they don't really fit in Calradia. They fit more into Pendor or even the world of Berserk.

Maybe a single unique Dark Knight Companion that wasn't random generated would be cool as a hommage to the early days of M&B.

Dark Knights were something completely different than Ghouls and Undeads, they were a military order that only bring chaos and death to Calradia.
Now look at Calradia, what is unique? Aserai? They're inspired by Mamluks. Look at Sturgia, they're inspired by Kievan Rus. Look at "Calradic" Empire, they're inspired by E.R.E. The game is now literally real life medieval simulator. There's nothing unique. Everything is inspired by something but Dark Knights was something no other universe had. Dark Knights can't fit in Bannerlord universe? It's because you see it as a medieval simulator. You will need atleast three weeks to completely finish the Skyrim lore and look at Bannerlord lore, you're looking for a torn apart banner in peasant-looter hideouts. This game lost it's uniqueness after Mount and Blade.

Last edited:
It depends on how they write background stories, like Who are these Dark knights and which faction they are serving for.

Personally, I wouldn't say I like superpowers joined a realistic medieval game.

But in mods, that is obviously can be.
That's what I'm saying. Mount and Blade universe now became a medieval game in people's eyes.
giphy.gif

Mount and Blade universe now became a medieval game in people's eyes.
Mount and blade is and has always been a low fantasy game but early versions were more fantasy then low fantasy, just because they existed at one time doesn't mean it was a good idea and I am glad they got rid of them it added nothing it had less life then any faction and they were not unique lol

Mount and blade is and has always been a low fantasy game but early versions were more fantasy then low fantasy, just because they existed at one time doesn't mean it was a good idea
I also agree that game should stay realistic but this game needs some elements to keep this it's universe seperated from real world. TaleWorlds ignored that and now game became Kingdom Come: Deliverance but with weird kingdom names and a sandbox open world. Everything in Calradia is imitation of something from real world. Ghouls and undead were harming that "realistic" game-world but a military order like Dark Knights has nothing to do with those two un-real beings. Maybe their armors, but that could be balanced.

Oh the dark knights, i loved to join them in M&B classic because of the OP gear and it was much better than trying to fight them lol

Now back to bannerlord, i think the lore evolved a bit since that time and the "dark knights" themselves are a lame name that wouldn't fit bannerlord's timeline anyway since they are from the 13th century of Calradia in the original M&B not the 11th as bannerlord.

Maybe an ancestor group that eventually got kicked out and would explain why the dark knights later invaded western calradia seeking revenge? remnants of the empire turned cult-like like one of those fanatical minor-factions? who knows..

Lore-wise it would make more sense to have a great Nord invasion, it could be scripted to always appear in northern Calradia or as an anti-snowballing system so that when one faction is dominating too much the Nords invade trying to carve a kingdom for themselves antagonizing that faction at first, after a certain date or just randomly, just some ideas :party:

Back
Top Bottom