Discussion Thread: Gamescom 2017 Media

Users who are viewing this thread

After watching video one more time i see a interesting scene. The fall of the horse from hill. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5o2fn64OdQ&feature=youtu.be&t=798

Madhal said:
After watching video one more time i see a interesting scene. The fall of the horse from hill. :smile:

Jokes aside, that covers a very important hint, that horses can fall and rise again.

In warband a horse could only fell when it died.

KhergitLancer80 said:
Madhal said:

Jokes aside, that covers a very important hint, that horses can fall and rise again.

In warband a horse could only fell when it died.

In that situation, the horse driver would fall from the horse and the horse would run away. I think that is the nonfinished feature which we saw there. The driver just can't fall out from the horse yet.

Yaga said:
The mud in the desert? Oh well)))  :facepalm:
By the way, there is two UFOs on video  :grin:
Грязь, кусок земли, мелкие камни - всё это забивается под копытам у лошадей и потом вылетает, когда те скачут -
19:32 такие же UFO  из под копыт вылетают.
https://youtu.be/9kcwGFWTxpc?t=1172

semigall said:
Yaga said:
The mud in the desert? Oh well)))  :facepalm:
By the way, there is two UFOs on video  :grin:
Грязь, кусок земли, мелкие камни - всё это забивается под копытам у лошадей и потом вылетает, когда те скачут -
19:32 такие же UFO  из под копыт вылетают.
https://youtu.be/9kcwGFWTxpc?t=1172
Oh well)) Ну-ну))
http://rusmnb.ru/index.php?topic=16266.msg7503345#msg7503345

Обрати внимание на размер НЛО. Может такая каменюка вылететь из под копыт? :wink:
А ещё тут не любят, когда пишут не по-английски.

Yaga said:
Oh well)) Ну-ну))
Обрати внимание на размер НЛО. Может такая каменюка вылететь из под копыт? :wink:
А ещё тут не любят, когда пишут не по-английски.

OK, it's UFO  :shock:
UFO.jpg

Is it me or in that Khuzait video the characters move painfully slow while they wear medium/heavy armor? I'm all for balance but that's just painful to watch.

Hmmm, infantry sticking with their swords instead of the spears on their backs when fighting cavalry, hope that gets tweaked.

kraggrim ?️ said:
Hmmm, infantry sticking with their swords instead of the spears on their backs when fighting cavalry, hope that gets tweaked.

Indeed, AI for infantry is quite poor at this moment. I guess it has something to do with orders. It might be that shield wall just puts infantry in passive defense but then there is this illogical behavior: infantry is charged by cavalry and instead of breaking the charge with spears, infantry doesn't react or reacts poorly, replacing spears with swords. Also I saw some strange stances where infantry is using spears this time against an infantry charge.

I think part of the problem is the way spears are used in the game, part of it is the way the players have used them in these videos (it is rare enough that they stand still and when they do it is in a line...) and perhaps partly down to weapon stats as well. I noticed that the Imperial's War Spear had about 30 swing damage and 50 for thrusts, which seems strange for a spear. I would expect much better thrust damage relative to swing, and the sword actually has better thrust damage (as well as better swing). I wonder if the AI is choosing swords by default because of the superior stats and only switching to spears in certain situations. I don't know what actually triggers them to do so, but I think they are switching to swords when the enemy is close. But they aren't always failing to use spears against cavalry, and I saw one very efficient looking horse kill at 9:14 (though who knows, that might have been a player). This looks to me like another example of item stats which haven't been carefully selected.

I think the way the players in these videos use them is a problem. If I were playing on that map (and not using cav, like the Imperials in this vid), I would get my team mates to follow me through the arch on the left and go to the top of that low rise which overlooks the enemy plain (they didn't visit that part of the map in this particular video). I would have the archer group in the middle and a spear group sandwiching it, to protect from melee attacks. That position isn't really overlooked by anywhere that I've seen, so Khuzait arrows would mostly be hitting the big shields of the spearmen, and any attempt to charge would probably be slow enough to allow the infantry to kill the horsemen. Otherwise, if caught in a flatter area, I would have the infantry form circle and place the archers in the centre, so that the soldiers weren't easy to ride amongst and shoot/lance in the back. When the soldiers are moving about against cavalry, they don't always seem to have time to gauge distance properly or change weapon in time, though the swords seem effective enough at killing horses.

I would love to see spears used as the default. Sure, when pressed up against an enemy infantryman, get out your sword, but if your allies behind have their spears ready they can help you without having to put their spears away. Also, I think most of the time soldiers should keep their spears out when facing cavalry next to them, only changing if the cavalry remains next to them for more than a second, because most of the time it races past by the time the weapon has switched. And with the overhead attack, spears could probably be quite effective at attacking the rider even at very close range (because the overhead stab might not immediately bump into the horse like the underarm stab at close range is prone to do). Though again, moving in one direction (ordered by the player) while trying to stab in another direction at a charging horseman probably makes them mistime a lot of their attacks.

Probably easier to have a "use spears" command. Swords are more efficient at killing the horse in close quarters anyways

Just to throw in my two cents. I don't know if anyone else has made this points already in the thread, so I do apologize if this has been covered already.

1. Infantry don't fight in formation. One thing that I never liked much in Warband is how pretty much every fight degenerates into a brawl when two opposing formations meet. Watching the Gamescom footage this still seems to be the case. Now, I'm well aware Bannerlord is still very much "a work in progress" and that things could change at any moment, but I do sincerely hope troops can actually stay in formation when fighting instead of everyone jumping into the mosh pit to hack at each other.

2. Infantry should be able to brace their spears. I was watching players stab at a horse charging right at them and it just looked silly. Realism aside, one obvious result of infantry being able to brace spears is that cavalry would think twice about rushing at a line of spearmen from the front, thus adding additional depth to the gameplay and not allowing horse charges to be so disruptive.

3. Also, a more transparent view of what type of damage (slashing, piercing, blunt) each weapon does, or how well different armors protect against different types of damage would also be very welcome.

If its the same of warband the type of armour doesnt matter.  Its the amount.

Cutting is best for lightly armoured troops and damage falls off a lot the higher the armour rating. Piercing is usually lower base damage but ignores some armour and blunt is usually the lowest base damage but ignores the most and knocks people out. Not sure if i got it to a T but thats the gist of it. From what we have seen thats how it looks like it will be still.

forge_of_place said:
3. Also, a more transparent view of what type of damage (slashing, piercing, blunt) each weapon does, or how well different armors protect against different types of damage would also be very welcome.

This. The lack of data on what is happening in the game has always been for me very annoying. We don't have any hint of how good some armor is, or what exactly is it doing. The very heavy armors feel like paper sometimes and you have no idea why that happened. Which things does it affect? Running speed? Damage reduction? Jumping? Attack speed? Everything is so hidden and players kind of need to "know" by reading texts from some shady forum posts or do some stupid tests and videos by themselves. Why it has to be like that? In real life, those things are obviously clear right away you put the armor on. You know how fast you can run with it. And if the armorsmith cares about his customers, he is also able to tell about the features of the armor.

So please when we select the clothes, tell us a little bit more about the features of that specific cloth.

Similar knowledge is very much needed for the weapons.

Also, it would be nice to see who killed who and with which weapon. In the "tab" menu in multiplayer, you could actually collect even more additional info about the players. Their main weapon for example.

Back
Top Bottom