Discussion Thread: Gamescom 2017 Media

Users who are viewing this thread

Archi the great said:
It's a shame the Vlandians can't couche their lances. Holding a heavy lance with two hands whilst riding just looks silly.

It's something that was done by, in particular, ancient steppe cavalry (Sarmatians). I don't know who else did it, but if you think about your statement it actually sounds strange- why would you hold a heavy lance with one hand when you can hold it with two? You can hold a long lance for longer in a horizontal position with two hands, having more strength, control and versatility. Couching can only be done in a fairly narrow arc ahead of your body whereas holding it with two hands you can attack people to front, left and right (though you would have to swap hand positions to swap sides).

I haven't seen any couching so far and I think that might have been a concious decision on the devs, perhaps partly to reflect the era (there is uncertainty and disagreement bewteen historians on when couched lancing became a common techinque, but as far as I know there isn't concrete evidence for it before the second millenium AD; at any rate the 'dark age' period isn't famous for it and it isn't generally depicted in games unless they involve Norman period knights or later). One of the common declarations of those who say couched lancing wasn't popular until the eleventh century (or thereabouts) is that stirrups weren't known of in the west until shortly before this time, and without stirrups the practice was too destabilising to the rider. Something I haven't seen depicted in the game, at least not in recent videos and screenshots, are stirrups. That may be purely because of the time period, but I think Taleworlds are probably happy to forgo including stirrups simply because it might be hard to avoid the rider's feet clipping through them whilst galloping.

Not including couching might be influenced by how hard it is to get the AI to use it well; let's face it, even most players don't use it nearly as much as stabbing because you have to get up to high speed and rely on nothing interfering with you reaching your intended target- so if the target moves to the side or soldiers of either team block your horse your attack is wasted- and the AI doesn't tend to do very well with couched lancing in my experience. Stabbing, on the other hand, doesn't require high speed or many seconds of readying to use, so they can be somewhat effective.

DanAngleland said:
It's something that was done by, in particular, ancient steppe cavalry (Sarmatians). I don't know who else did it, but if you think about your statement it actually sounds strange- why would you hold a heavy lance with one hand when you can hold it with two? You can hold a long lance for longer in a horizontal position with two hands, having more strength, control and versatility. Couching can only be done in a fairly narrow arc ahead of your body whereas holding it with two hands you can attack people to front, left and right (though you would have to swap hand positions to swap sides).

I suspect in the case of the early-mid medieval period in Europe because having a shield and holding a lance with two hands was really quite a trick. I notice that troops like the Cataphracts and Clibinarii have the Kontos type things in two hands which I have to give TW some kudos for. Seems those two troop types used very small shields whilst using a two-handed lance, but their removal is understandable.

Personally I'd like to have the couching in- it was a very rewarding skill.

Even if couching makes it into the final game, let's hope the AI can't magically chamber block a pointy thing coming with full speed towards them (in the worst case scenario, with a spear thrust).

There is a pretty good article online about reenactors debunking the myth of stirrups and couched lance, I'm pretty sure it hangs around somewhere in Sage's Guild (forgive me, I'm too drunk to find it).

But yeah, the lance held in two hands is pretty iconic for early kataphraktoi and clibinarii, so it was really a treat to see it in-game.

Unsure if I'm imagining things but it appears that some overhead strikes differ in appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldYi2ITaFDg

The one at 1:06 looks more powerful and aesthetic than at 2:16.

Did you notice?

It kind of does appear faster, but maybe it's just because there's actual action surrounding it. Still, that may be chaining attacks in action, notice that previous slash catches (and dismounts :facepalm:) the horseman behind player.

The previous slash actually hits nothing, I think you are getting confused by the damage report in the bottom left- if you go back several seconds, you will see that the 48 damage to horse was delivered at 2:08; it has just lingered on the screen. The horseman that tumbles past the player at 2:15 must have been felled by an NPC.

The only thing I can complain about is the way the multiple hit mechanic works. I've noticed many cases when the player character kills two enemies in one blow. I do understand that it got boosted stats for the presentation, but it looks like the damage dealt is pretty similar for both enemies who got hit simultaneously. That's not good for the gameplay and does not feel natural either. The weapon should lose momentum after it hits the first enemy and only slightly inflict damage to the other one (if not negate the swing entirely in the case of an armored opponent). Also, please don't make the armor feel like it doesn't exist at all.

New video with new map (Caution : Turkish) :

One small detail I saw :

RP7oAY.png

I suppose there's a mechanic that alerts you when you are too far from the fight, as to combat passive play.

Can these steamers just stop showing their faces every 10 seconds as if they're objects of great strategic importance? I'd rather see the game instead.

Ki-Ok Khan said:

One small detail I saw :

RP7oAY.png

That is great news! Has anyone seen a video where somebody is spawning in multiplayer? How does that happen? Can we still crash someone with a horse who just appeared front of you? Can we have those stupid spawn battles also?

Harmi said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

One small detail I saw :

RP7oAY.png

That is great news! Has anyone seen a video where somebody is spawning in multiplayer? How does that happen? Can we still crash someone with a horse who just appeared front of you? Can we have those stupid spawn battles also?

You mean deathmatches ?
Yes there probably will be deathmatches.
They are representing a new game mode here

KhergitLancer80 said:
Harmi said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

One small detail I saw :

RP7oAY.png

You mean deathmatches ?
Yes there probably will be deathmatches.
They are representing a new game mode here

Yes, I know there will be DM servers. It's the most basic multiplayer mode. But I am interested of the mechanism of spawning. Do we have spawn areas where we can't fight? (I hope we do.) If we don't have such areas, can we spawn in the middle of enemies and be spawn killed instantly? Do we have "safe timer" that makes us invisible for few seconds before spawn? Can we choose where we spawn like for example in battlefield you can?

SirMairaki said:
Madhal said:
Mount&Blade II Bannerlord Raw Gameplay (No Sound) 

I haven't watched much at all yet. But, first thing I notice is at 5:45. Notice the shaking when the archers are holding the bow ready to fire. You think this is intentional?

I think that's intentional, a new animation for when you draw for too long.

Back
Top Bottom