Discussion Thread: Gamescom 2017 Media

Users who are viewing this thread

You just put in quotes something that wasn't even written in this magazine. It says "such a paid beta scheme could even launch this year". Note the word could. However, back in early 2016 Lust said that they were thinking about early access as a possibility, so the possibility of early access isn't really news. The key is whether Armagan told them it could happen this year or if that was just the journalist telling a little lie to excite the readers.

The journalist said : "Armagan told us" and with the words : "Very good chance" "could" and "even this year".
It smells good to be honest.

Especially with the quick tweet by TW when said they didn't give any interview, maybe they are looking for an early access release and they didn't want us to know before they will be able to make a good marketing plan to sell us this EA.

Varrak said:
While talking about realism, lets add reproduction, aging, perma-death, losing arms/legs in battles permanently.. o_O

This is a game. Game. Fun is more important than realism fetish. Balancing is a must for the fun experience. I trust TW about balancing.

All of those things sound wonderful. Yes please.

Hark said:
You just put in quotes something that wasn't even written in this magazine. It says "such a paid beta scheme could even launch this year". Note the word could. However, back in early 2016 Lust said that they were thinking about early access as a possibility, so the possibility of early access isn't really news. The key is whether Armagan told them it could happen this year or if that was just the journalist telling a little lie to excite the readers.

The journalist said : "Armagan told us" and with the words : "Very good chance" "could" and "even this year".
It smells good to be honest.

Especially with the quick tweet by TW when said they didn't give any interview, maybe they are looking for an early access release and they didn't want us to know before they will be able to make a good marketing plan to sell us this EA.

If it was a leak of confidential information Taleworlds, it would imply this noname site got any information tossed their way and by releasing it break confidentiality agreements if it was something not meant to be heard. Which wouldn't happen in the first place as for one, TW wouldn't have said anything at all if it wanted it under the wraps.
The site is just playing off your hopes and desires to get you to look at their site for ad revenue

Also, less than a week ago Taleworlds was talking about how there won't be giving a release date anytime soon and suddenly a random site got an interview with Armagan saying there's a paid beta, a site that's not known to be associated or working with Taleworlds e.g. Gamestar, PC Gamer

Madhal said:
Bannerlord Khuzait vs Empire Commander Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6I-CzZJLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dtlPH6hvM0

Omg, that scene looks perfect! There are lots of strategic points for archers, spearmen, cavalry.. I want to play this gamemode so bad  :iamamoron:

Guaccmoleboy said:
These threads always end up as a big circle jerk where people discuss their immense medieval combat knowledge and nit pick every small thing they don't like in the gameplay, pls stop. Why you people argue about overpowered mechanics merely because it was like that in real life in beyond me. Stfu and talk about real issues
I know right  :mrgreen:

Madhal said:

Thanks for posting those. The upload doesn't seem to be of great quality, but then it's not the Taleworlds channel- I think a journalist rushed it to be the first to get it online. Still perfectly watchable, but a bit grainy sometimes. The map looks good and I like the look of some of the Khuzait lamellar shoulder pieces. I recognise that lamellar horse armour from a year or so ago in magazine pictures, I love it.

Irish.Viking said:
I dont care much about MP, but all i saw in the video looks awesome to me.
That "bomb" Armagan launched today on the interview of "good chance of having a Paid beta this year"  have also stuned me.

The only constructive bad thing i noticed is the blood.  Dont like it, look like an spray of  red paint.  But if they dont change it,i will do it, so it not concerns me.
i wasnt paying attention to the blood spatters much but the wounds look really nice, have you seen those?

https://youtu.be/tv6I-CzZJLU?t=11m23s

... this is balanced and engaging gameplay?  :???:

Should I go over how what I've seen so far is a complete balance disaster, or should I wait until the beta comes out?

Fidel Lagstro said:

Should I go over how what I've seen so far is a complete balance disaster, or should I wait until the beta comes out?
I can also see that they definitely need some competitive player help on the balancing side.
The numbers are all wonky.

Luckily that's captain mode, so eh.

From what I've seen, never expect TW to know how to balance their own game in terms of weapon/unit stats. They need community input.

JuJu70 said:
It's wherever balance isn't, in this case. Killing a single horse shouldn't require the sacrifice of the spearman. Dying horses crushing soldiers creates a lose-lose situation for infantry vs. cavalry, where killing the horse will result in death by crushing while letting the horse live will result in death by trampling/rider. Could you imagine? Nobody would play infantry in multiplayer for fear of someone on a horse taking notice of them and getting a guaranteed kill just by running at them.

If you're standing in front of the horse and will try to poke it with your spear, most likely the horse will remain unharmed, but you will die. Like I said no physics. the proper way to take down a horse is a) with a tight spearman formation to equalize the mass b) with a javelin or an arrow from a far c) maybe you can try to poke it from the side while it's running by you but with a good chance of dying.
+1

Fidel Lagstro said:

Honestly.. the gameplay was good, they guy playing was definitely not, looked like someone who never played M&B before, so many mistakes, most of the time the guy couldn't even hit the enemies standing still in front of him, and who the hell leaves their archers in an open field and DOWNHILL from enemy heavy cavalry? lol

Fidel Lagstro said:

In this gamemode, player will take less damage and deal more damage to the other enemies. As far as i know it is not different against other players.

Fidel Lagstro said:

Not sure what you mean by that segment of video; do you realise that the person being aimed at is (at least I presume) another human player? He keeps trying to give an order to his troops, leaving himself open to arrows in the process, which explains the strange behaviour of that soldier, and the lack of attacking from his infantry once he dies. Without him they are not ordered to charge, though why he didn't respawn as one of them and order the charge I don't know.

As for the damage stats, I think that might be a lot to do with getting kills made in a timely fashion for demo purposes (by changing damage settings) or maybe they want people to die fast for balance purposes and so give weapons big stats. I think this is where a large public or restricted beta test would be useful, like for Warband multiplayer.

And about the balancing of an UNRELEASED, STILL WORK IN PROGRESS game, i would not have any doubts. Balancing is a thing that can be done spreading over time. They will balance the hell out of it when the game is near release and definitely after release.

That's why I'm asking whether it would be fruitful if I were to spell out clear balance issues and bad gameplay mechanics now, or wait until the beta comes out. Maybe the devs know the balance changes that need to be made and are working on them, or maybe they don't and could really use some help now.

I only posted one clip as an example, but there are a lot of things that look very wrong, for example https://youtu.be/c_3el4IAevg?t=2m28s

The cav takes an arrow straight to the chest... only takes 6 damage... then proceeds to run over 2 infantry at the same time and deals 35 charging damage to both of them... does that seem balanced to you?

at E3 they showed this, and this happened https://youtu.be/IUkL42p3Mss?t=3m10s  Running over 7 people, dealing solid damage to all of them and not even getting slowed down? WTF? that wouldn't be a balanced combat mechanic for multiplayer, and that's my concern.

We don't have much to go on, but based off of the little we do have, some of the game mechanics would be horrible in MP. This Captain Mode is all we've been shown on 'Multiplayer', and it doesn't look good from a class balance perspective. Now if what you say is true that damage by players is buffed and game against them is nerfed, then maybe that would explain some of the weird damage numbers, but that doesn't fix bad game mechanics like OP cav bumping or inaccurate rangers.

48e288f140f89c8ad955ccb988c4fe97.png

71d72b59f2226e192f94375c2af93e89.png

ded1d469acb737939ddaa7787f920eee.png

9f20594091d09e14ca2ef9faa7eaf5e1.png

Those are the 4 shots taken at the latter part of the video and shows the effects of reducing the accuracy stat on bows. They're way off center and would make mid to long range shots a complete game of luck. I would know, I've played several sp mods that turn down the accuracy on bows, and it takes the skill out of it and replaces it with luck. You're forced to adopt this idea of "ok well, I'm just going to shoot in this general area and hope it lands because I can't actually control where the arrow is going and there's no real reward for accurately aiming or placing my shots perfectly." In native warband mp where the accuracy stat on bows is set to 99, bows are fairly accurate, and if you don't aim right, YOU WILL MISS, but reducing the accuracy stat will cause a scenario where a perfectly placed shot could miss, and a badly placed shot will actually land due to the offset, and not because of any degree of skill, but out of pure luck/RNG.

I could go on and on about other things I've spotted, but there's no point in wasting my time bringing them up here if no one of importance (devs, community manager, etc) is going to be looking at them at this point in time.

P.S. I don't mean to **** on the game, the graphics look good and the scenery is nice, some of the animations look good and some still look clunky, but my biggest concern right now is that visuals are being prioritized over gameplay at this point, and I've seen enough medieval games fail because of that. My hope is that a decently balanced game can be released into a multiplayer beta that will give everyone that tries it a good first impression, and then perfecting it can come afterwards with community input.

DanAngleland said:
Madhal said:

but then it's not the Taleworlds channel- I think a journalist rushed it to be the first to get it online.

It's something like that, yeah

John.M said:
JuJu70 said:
If you're standing in front of the horse and will try to poke it with your spear, most likely the horse will remain unharmed
Why exactly do you think this?

1. conservation of momentum (you weigh little and don't move, horse weighs a ton and is running);
2. have you ever stood up to a onrushing horse (or a car) (psychological effect)
3. For the spear to penetrate it has to be perfectly angled, and it must have lots of resistance which is basically mass. we already know you have very little mass compared to the horse, so your spear will most likely just glance off, or just simply break. you of course will fly back with at least a twisted shoulder.

the guy in the video is just leisurely poke the horse off holding the spear with one hand on top of that.

If a lonely infantryman could so easily kill a horse, noone would ever use cavalry.

JuJu70 said:
1. conservation of momentum (you weigh little and don't move, horse weighs a ton and is running);
2. have you ever stood up to a onrushing horse (or a car) (psychological effect)
3. For the spear to penetrate it has to be perfectly angled, and it must have lots of resistance which is basically mass. we already know you have very little mass compared to the horse, so your spear will most likely just glance off, or just simply break. you of course will fly back with at least a twisted shoulder.

the guy in the video is just leisurely poke the horse off holding the spear with one hand on top of that.

If a lonely infantryman could so easily kill a horse, noone would ever use cavalry.

Spearmen have always been deadly for cavalry, the latter was in fact, as far as I know, mainly used for flanking when the opponent was already engaged in combat, rather than full on frontal charges.

Back
Top Bottom