[DISCUSSION] Fan Suggestion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

@Ningauble, @Pacific_Salmon

Your request reminded me of an older Warband tweak on the matter (credits to Captain_Octavius), and I thought to myself that I can probably adapt/update it to PoP, and indeed I could! :mrgreen: It can be now found as Tweak 16 o) on this page: https://pop3.fandom.com/wiki/Tweaks. I tried to make the instructions and the application as clear as possible, so you shouldn't have any problems regarding the "installation". Note however that you have to be king/queen (and be married of course) before you can put your wife into your party. It's the safest method to turn your wife into a companion (without causing any issues/bugs)!

Here are some pictures of the tweak in action (I made sure it works as intended):
6FE5C8B518D26BF8B0EF82E2A0BE5B52EB14B9CB

5659516DB0B0051576A6A2131A0A4228E7068B47

E41BB94781FAF70F4A86CE982682AFF6E1D8B615

413C348DF258380ADF914C6772E7A6308479C344

09E78999A66B3A780741A82A78CF437F2F7DC22E

BE4C84BAFE610196E6D574059D82980DBE96FE08

41227A226D17D6E51B63483E0B57F4053A0DB4B0

Enjoy.

MitchyMatt said:
So what happens if the party is defeated? Where does she go?
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Good thing you brought it up, I'll add a note about this to the Wikia as well, thanks! :shifty: Because your wife always has a "copy" in your capital's castle hall (in fact, she doesn't leave the castle hall by the game's point of view), she can't actually disappear from the game either upon a defeat. Therefore she will be officially sent back to the capital where she is/was (Javiksholm in my case):
C5EA805B9C79021321A569CFFE6176CE779463A4
So in the end, you can request her back as your minister, and then tell her to rejoin your party again (to switch with the same companion if you wish):
424EF2532DC48479B6ADCB4171B32CBA881172F1

P.S.: Needless to say, you shouldn't perform any of the companion features with your wife, those won't work and will cause bugs (dialogues are missing, wife is not included in certain scripts, etc.). So just use her as a fighter companion, and equip her manually. There will be two major bugs if you still try to interact with your wife in a way you shouldn't:

#1: After telling her to gather your vassals for a campaign, don't tell her anything that would cause her to leave your party within the same conversation (without closing the window), because the subject is changed to you due to the call for a campaign, and you will be the one to leave your party. Which will cause detrimental bugs to your gameplay:
7BF5A16BE0D2F36C48FFC9C9C1A01A9C7137A9EF
#2: Don't try to appoint her as a vassal. She will permanently become a vassal without a party on the map, with no way to return her as your minister or as a companion. Basically she will become the equivalent of a "husband lord". Options about the household will remain available.

Other than that, if you send her away, send her to gather RtR, send her to gather intelligence, or send her to train your CKO, she will "disappear", but you can always get her back with the above minister-switch. The training of your CKO won't be broken. Asking for extra troops will always trigger the "ask again later" response, so that's safe too, and she will tell you lines from other companions if you ask about her backstory or if you listen to what she says about sending her off. The auto-equipping script seems to be working, but I didn't test it thoroughly, so it's better to stay away from that too.

Gorvex, thanks for your interest, and help

It did not occur to me to hunt for " official " tweaks. The list is very interesting ......... players do enjoy all that " customised " freedom, of course, companions not complaining and leaving, bodyguards around town, etc
So ...... if the tweaks are already worked out, could not the Devs easily offer some of them ( say, in camp menu " options " ) to the player, to enhance game play, as is their obvious purpose ?

Anyway, I will try some tweaks !

I will mention that the Perisno version of " wife joining company " seems to be a simpler, less fraught pathway -  for starters, with one menu button press she can come away with you as soon as you are married, without even a faction ( let alone a castle ) to your name !
( no king, minister, business  - so, do you know a "short cut ", a la Perisno  ? )

While the above tweaks are published for PoP, as they might apply to standard Warband coding, do they work across other mods ?  Any experience of this ?

@Ningauble: no prob and I'm glad you find the list interesting! There are more to come :razz:

Ningauble said:
So ...... if the tweaks are already worked out, could not the Devs easily offer some them ( say, in camp menu " options " ) to the player, to enhance game play, as is their obvious purpose?
Such tweaks have to be made from scratch if decided to officially add to PoP, simply because updating the .txt files is a big hassle every time something changes in a newer version... Therefore the tweaks have to be made in the .py module system (python code), which will have the built-in ability to update all those variables and constants in the .txt files automatically, upon recompiling them.

Ningauble said:
I will mention that the Perisno version of " wife joining company " seems to be a simpler, less fraught pathway -  for starters, with one menu button press she can come away with you as soon as you are married, without even a faction ( let alone a castle ) to your name !
( no king, minister, business  - so, do you know a "short cut ", a la Perisno  ? )
The tweak I updated is the easiest approach in terms of "coding" and updating for different mods, because via the minister-switch, your wife will be retrievable if you lose your party, or send her away (by accident to train your CKO, gather RtR, gather intelligence). All of which are unhandled features, as dialogues are missing, and your wife is not included in either of the responsible scripts. All of these would require much more time to work out. Which I'm still lacking the knowledge to do by myself. Plus as I said, more complex tweaks are a pain in the as* to update to a newer version, and v3.9.4 is right upon us.

Ningauble said:
While the above tweaks are published for PoP, as they might apply to standard Warband coding, do they work across other mods ?  Any experience of this ?
Some might work with other mods too, yes. Those that change single values which are part of a native feature are the majority of such cross-over tweaks. However note that the actual values might be different in other mods, likewise the constants/variables before or after them, so finding the parts you are looking for usually requires you to at least know what do those numbers mean.

Suggestion: rename the currency to something else. "Denars" is inherited from native Warband, and it is understandable there for being a turkish game. But denars in PoP feels off to be honest. Gold/Silver (coin) would be fine imo. Or a totally made up fantasy name that is unique to PoP. I'm bad at making up fantasy names, so I'll leave it be...

Gorvex said:
Suggestion: rename the currency to something else. "Denars" is inherited from native Warband, and it is understandable there for being a turkish game. But denars in PoP feels off to be honest. Gold/Silver (coin) would be fine imo. Or a totally made up fantasy name that is unique to PoP. I'm bad at making up fantasy names, so I'll leave it be...

+1
Even an ancient British currency name would be much better.

Lag'ier Barlida said:
Gorvex said:

+1
Even a ancient British currency name would be much better.
+2
Btw,if you are talking about"penning", change the name to "pending" should be better than the original one.

Just "Gold" would be most convenient I think. "Denars" really means nothing and I always think "gold" instead anyway.

sher said:
Just "Gold" would be most convenient I think. "Denars" really means nothing and I always think "gold" instead anyway.
Yep, me too! "Gold" is always the currency in my mind when I forget that it's denars instead :???:

I came up with 2 suggestions after playing for a bit more

In my opinion Vanskerries should have a unique spawn, perfect option would be that is leaded by Jarl Haggar Three Fingers, since you can already see special groups with his name that have a handful of hired highwaymen accompanying them.

The other suggestion is that rescuing a lord from prison shouldnt have zero negative effects. The very least imo should be losing 2 relation with the faction and 5 relation with the lord that own the fief where the lord was captive, whether you manage to get him out or not.

Why do Silvermist rangers want you to hunt down Forest Bandits? Not only they are straight up rare, but Mystmountain raiders make more sense bothe geographic and lore-wise. If you think there's too many people hunting them down already, then I'd suggest the Vanskerry or the Outlaws. Jatus are fine.

Another suggestion that will probably be dismissed for either being too "exploit-friendly", just hard to code or simply too specific of a situation to work on a special feature for it. If the leader of an army is the last unit to be taken down -> there's a 100% chance they'll be captured. In the context that you would have their unconscious body right there at the end of battle, so they shouldn't be able to get away from that :wink:
Would be a pretty interesting and amusing thing for unique spawns: Trying to avoid the leader through the whole battle so you could ensure a QG drop lol

Back
Top Bottom