Discussion about cavalry balance and knock downs

Users who are viewing this thread

It probably would be broken, but it's worth the devs testing out at the very least. If it's a super short spear, only dismounted at high enough velocities/damage and be easily identifiable by the cav players it could be alright. Then again, most likely broken. But still food for thought.

Well, at least give the people (person?) using pike in MP the option to use it with shield (only certain small shields). Also maybe make the bracing animation and walking mode start by pressing "x". No need to also have to go into walking mode first.

We need polearm changes if many inf are losing throwings. Since I get the impression that polearms are meant to be the thematic counter to cav.

Well, at least give the people (person?) using pike in MP the option to use it with shield (only certain small shields). Also maybe make the bracing animation and walking mode start by pressing "x". No need to also have to go into walking mode first.

We need polearm changes if many inf are losing throwings. Since I get the impression that polearms are meant to be the thematic counter to cav.
This would be even more elite than the hooked spears. You could get a nice phalanx going too. I had a quick google to see this was realistic at all, and it turns out it actually did happen a bit.
84b3e6a0cbcd69aec378df56cf4b516e.jpg

main-qimg-d24e3e79daea841dd29ed57647872dfa

Alternatively, there were also shields that had a brace for one-handed spears that could also be a decent addition to spearmen and useful for defending against cav (possibly using a similar brace mechanic, though this is wishful thinking)
main-qimg-077129e3747616b6983d2dcedac2c5ca.webp

It probably would be broken, but it's worth the devs testing out at the very least. If it's a super short spear, only dismounted at high enough velocities/damage and be easily identifiable by the cav players it could be alright. Then again, most likely broken. But still food for thought.

I don't see why you need this and all the balance problems it might bring, the reason cav feel hard to punish is spears bouncing, armoured horses being extremely tanky, and cav being able to double-tap W and so full-speed out of there. Light cav being stopped are actually fairly punished due to the horses dying quicker and the rider not being able to block during rear-up.

If armour on heavy cav is heavily reduced, you can't double tap W to max speed away after being reared up, and spears are made more reliable in stopping a horse from front on at any point of release, then that's all that's needed really.

I do think cav should have their top speed reduced as well though, along with given slightly faster turning speed.

I don't see why you need this and all the balance problems it might bring, the reason cav feel hard to punish is spears bouncing, armoured horses being extremely tanky, and cav being able to double-tap W and so full-speed out of there. Light cav being stopped are actually fairly punished due to the horses dying quicker and the rider not being able to block during rear-up.

If armour on heavy cav is heavily reduced, you can't double tap W to max speed away after being reared up, and spears are made more reliable in stopping a horse from front on at any point of release, then that's all that's needed really.

I do think cav should have their top speed reduced as well though, along with given slightly faster turning speed.
You're not wrong, ideally the issue can be resolved with the tools we already have. Still, I'd love to test out those bad boys out in multiplayer one day, though maybe not in any sort of competitive game mode. I'm all for new weapons/mechanics being introduced, even as a faction-specific type thing, but I do see how it could very easily wreck the entire balance.

On a side-note, the main issue I personally have with cavalry is the measly damage you can inflict after rearing them on the horse. It seems like the only effective weapon for that is the menavlion where you can stab-rear the horse, then overhead obliterate them.

Also maybe make the bracing animation and walking mode start by pressing "x".

Out of all the feedback in this thread, at the very least please add this. It is completely unnecessary to hamper the usage of such a feature by impeding the accessibility, having to either press CAPS LOCK in the midst of battle before you can press "x", or stop moving altogether, making you an even more vulnerable target while wearing a pike.

It would also remove the obscurity of bracewalking. When I brought it up with NIN3, he didn't even know it existed.

Out of all the feedback in this thread, at the very least please add this. It is completely unnecessary to hamper the usage of such a feature by impeding the accessibility, having to either press CAPS LOCK in the midst of battle before you can press "x", or stop moving altogether, making you an even more vulnerable target while wearing a pike.

It would also remove the obscurity of bracewalking. When I brought it up with NIN3, he didn't even know it existed.
Wait you can walk whilst bracing?

I hope this was a bug btw. Happened a week ago...

But also look at this. 17 and 4 dmg from 2h swings with actually decent speed bonus. Both should atleast do 40dmg...

To me this is way more ridiculous than a pila that can oneshot...

Last edited:

The second clip the 4 dmg hit is on the leg!? Either way I suspect the hitbox for cav is ****ed for forever now, and it thinks you hit with the shaft of your weapon when we see it as the blade hitting it.

But also look at this. 17 and 4 dmg from 2h swings with actually decent speed bonus. Both should atleast do 40dmg...

Lol

I would be unsurprised to find that the formula governing whether a rear up happens is something like a threshold where "Damage + Speed must be greater than X", and since the horse was still trotting and the spear hit was mostly absorbed by the armour, then it wasn't activated.

Simplicity wins for me most times, I would much rather it be something like "if horse going faster than a walk and it hits a polearm that has been thrust, then it is reared".

Just a guess as to the cause here ofc, someone who can actually read the game files can maybe tell me if I'm wrong.

So looking at whats going on, in the first clip the rider turned his horses head away from your spear, and the tip ended up hitting around the horse shoulders, looked like a good stab, but I guess you didnt hit close enough to the front of the horse.

The second clip is you smacking the horse with the haft of the axe, not a horse armor issue.

So looking at whats going on, in the first clip the rider turned his horses head away from your spear, and the tip ended up hitting around the horse shoulders, looked like a good stab, but I guess you didnt hit close enough to the front of the horse.

The second clip is you smacking the horse with the haft of the axe, not a horse armor issue.
I think that both of your explanations are completely wrong. But both things have to be fixed even if you are right. The horse should have been stopped in that exact case, and a 2h axe should deal more damage in that exact case. Nomatter what happened there from an engine standpoint.

Have you played Bannerlord recently? Horses literally die with one axe throw and spears became very dangerous. Furthermore don't forget that its the most expensive troop, its supposed to be slightly stronger.

Yes, and that's why I am still complaing about it. The same issue that has been going on for 9 months. Spears are especially useless on TDM, you might stop a horse but you won't kill it. I get your point, It is obviously stronger and more expensive but it is out of proportion to all other classes and that is a issue.

Back
Top Bottom