Discussion about cavalry balance and knock downs

Users who are viewing this thread

knock downs are a great addition but please make the required speed for knocking someone down very high, almost a full gallop and make getting up take less time or be able to block earlier while getting up off the ground,

i like the effect but dont like getting killed automatically bc my character cannot block while on the ground

I agree, when a horse arrives at 40 miles an hour and bumps you, you should stump 5-10 meters away!
Hell no. How about not making Cav even stronger? Infantry is already getting punished for every wrong step they take and now you want to enable Cavalry to basically bump Infantry either into their allied Inf or completely out of the fight?
How about we just call the game "Mount & Mount" at that point?

Easy solution, have horses take a crippling effect as their horses lose health. For example, normally you can do about 80-100 damage to a horse without killing it. Whenever this happens the horse gallops away at full speed, it would be much better if the horse ran slower as they lost health. After losing about half its health it should run at about 1//3 of their full speed and maybe it should be harder to maneuver. Forcing the horse player to find another horse, putting him on foot for a brief time and evening the odds.

Easy solution, have horses take a crippling effect as their horses lose health. For example, normally you can do about 80-100 damage to a horse without killing it. Whenever this happens the horse gallops away at full speed, it would be much better if the horse ran slower as they lost health. After losing about half its health it should run at about 1//3 of their full speed and maybe it should be harder to maneuver. Forcing the horse player to find another horse, putting him on foot for a brief time and evening the odds.
That's not a bad idea. I think it could be quite an interesting way to go about it and I haven't heard this idea suggested before.

The rest of the mechanics around the horse need to be fixed up as well though, as one of the bigger issues I find is people that slow-walk their horse into combat and fight at point blank, rather than those that charge in wildly (and take more damage because of it.)

All in all, a good idea, though archers would be just as pesky for a cav with this change.

That a terrible idea. All but two non-cav classes have some sort of ranged option, making cavalry entirely useless so long as you have one person one the other side with a tiny bit of awareness.

Also, having cav get weaker with damage will only further cement the snowball nature of cav v cav as well. If you took one hit on the horse you would simply lose any fight going forward.

Balancing cav is not a mystery: slow down their top speed, slow down their acceleration, and make them less able to push people around so that they can actually get stuck.

Also, having cav get weaker with damage will only further cement the snowball nature of cav v cav as well. If you took one hit on the horse you would simply lose any fight going forward.

Balancing cav is not a mystery: slow down their top speed, slow down their acceleration, and make them less able to push people around so that they can actually get stuck.
I'd maybe add "make them able to bump teammates for damage"
That way Cav can't just charge through their own teammates like it's nothing

No. Just no. Trolls will just abuse it and there are many public players who can't steer a horse properly but will play cav regardless. I for once don't want to spend 10 seconds on the ground because some troll decides I have to or because someone can't steer a horse properly. This is not going to work and will have the opposite effect in the end.

For those who think that punishing a cav player for getting damage, that's not gonna work. Don't punish players because they take risks by crippling their ability to play. What's next? Inf can't move properly if hit?

People say this a lot, personally I'd find it irritating and would make the game very clumsy. Technically you can argue cav should be more accurate but for me their job is to get involved in very clustered melee fights and this just would cause a lot of chaos.

In Warband this was never necessary, they simply got stopped by team mates without the frustrating pushing people around mechanic. We should at least try this before adding something so drastic imo.

---- What's next? Inf can't move properly if hit?
I mean it's quite a requested feature, to have a slow-down effect on hit to stop endless kiting or escaping combat. I get that that's not what you mean when you say that though lol.

As for the rest of the horse business about knock downs, I don't think it'd necessarily be that bad, maybe on a hardcore mode or something. Though it could be quite annoying in pub matches where trolls thrive, and mindless cav reigns supreme.

That a terrible idea. All but two non-cav classes have some sort of ranged option, making cavalry entirely useless so long as you have one person one the other side with a tiny bit of awareness.
You could have a curve effect, as in the cripple effect doesn't become so obvious until the horse is down to a sliver of health. Maybe 1/4, or 1/5 then the cripple effect becomes more obvious at that stage.

Nah, considering the amount of times I’m teamhit by my own cav players even in official scrims I cannot fathom pub players with this mechanic.
What’s your suggestion to fix it?
If cav gets full FF implantation you will have automaticly a lot less random noobs couching you in the back or interrupt the majority of melee fights. I don't see where the negatives outweigh the positives in that case. Cav is still way to rewarding for its gameplay. I’ve experienced this so many times already - people that cannot participate in formations or general melee/archery will grab a horse and go nuts, killing everyone in their way by couching, knockdowns or just the 20 dmg hit of their horse bump.

Riding a horse has to become a skill based “class” not a rewarding alternative for sucking at core mechanics.

What’s your suggestion to fix it?
If cav gets full FF implantation you will have automaticly a lot less random noobs couching you in the back or interrupt the majority of melee fights. I don't see where the negatives outweigh the positives in that case. Cav is still way to rewarding for its gameplay. I’ve experienced this so many times already - people that cannot participate in formations or general melee/archery will grab a horse and go nuts, killing everyone in their way by couching, knockdowns or just the 20 dmg hit of their horse bump.

Riding a horse has to become a skill based “class” not a rewarding alternative for sucking at core mechanics.
-Stop them being able to push people around; they don't move team mates at all, and they only bump enemies if going at a certain speed. This will force them to actually consider how and when to engage in melee (as can be easily stuck and punished) without the need for frustrating teamhits.
-Nerf or remove WW instant acceleration
-add a cooldown to couching, both in how long it takes to become active, and between couches
-lower their top speed

It's not a mystery.

-Stop them being able to push people around; they don't move team mates at all, and they only bump enemies if going at a certain speed. This will force them to actually consider how and when to engage in melee (as can be easily stuck and punished) without the need for frustrating teamhits.
-Nerf or remove WW instant acceleration
-add a cooldown to couching, both in how long it takes to become active, and between couches
-lower their top speed

It's not a mystery.
Good suggestions and I’d welcome them with open arms but I doubt this will prevent people from spaming cav all over the place as it’s happening in siege or TDM. Adding FF or just friendly bumps/knockdowns would be a tremendous factor for them to consider their actions. Also the consequences would be drastically increased. It would certainly stop cav from pushing through shieldwalls and charge into a group of teammates. In fact it would generally stop people riding around the map pretending to be a schoolbus with a pike.

Back
Top Bottom