Direct Democracy

Users who are viewing this thread

I believe that we no longer have need for the archaic system of representative democracy.
It has too many shortfalls that Direct democracy does not. With modern technology, or even without, vote collection systems would be streamlined.

I will give an example of a direct democratic system.

Joe Jones decides he doesn't like the current graduated tax system of Democria. He drafts a bill which if made law, would simplify and change the tax system to a flat 10% federal income tax rate, and make null all other existing federal taxes.

Mr. Jones brings the bill to his neighborhood congressman. This 'congressman' lives just down the street from Joe, and was elected for this year as the man who would have the duty of collecting votes of these hundred constituents. In all reality, this man's duty is more like glorified newspaper delivery. He presents bills to his constituents.

In any case, Mr. Jones' bill is then presented to the other 98 citizens. They can yea, nay, or abstain.
The votes are then tallied once everyone in the constituency has been informed of, and made their decision about the proposed law.
The yeas and nays are both recorded. Mr Jones' bill was lovingly accepted by the majority of these 100 citizens!

Now The neighborhood congressman shall bring the numbers and bill up to the man elected as the congressman of 1,000, and he shall have the ten congressmen under him deliver the bills to their constituents. Once again, the yeas and nays shall be tallied, and then if the bill gets a yea majority of even a single vote, it shall move to the elected congressman of 10,000 citizens.

This will keep going up the line, until the bill is defeated or accepted by everyone. The vote will keep expanding its audience by powers of ten. Now, this does not mean that simply because a bill was defeated in one area, that any citizen in any area cannot simply start the process again, with either an identical or slightly modified bill.

After all, there's an online database open to the public that allows anyone from any part of the country to see what bills are being voted on across the nation. A citizen can start a vote in his area on a bill that he likes even if he didn't write it.

There are local laws, and there are federal laws. Local laws affect a local area only, but cannot be in contradiction with federal laws. They only need to be passed by the locality. Say, a constituency of 1,000,000. Federal laws however must be passed by the entire nation, and overrule local law.

Now there is no misrepresentation of constituents. All constituents are represented because the yeas and nays are both recorded.
The nays in one area will not be forgotten in the counting on the highest level, allowing a more accurate picture of the support for a law.

Heck, there might even be laws that limit the number of pages in laws, and the minimum size of lettering.
"In Constituency X, a local law was recently passed that limited the number of pages in a bill to ten, so that laws could be understood and voted on more quickly. It is gaining much headway in nearby Constituency Y."

Now, poke holes in it, and talk about stuff. Write your own ideas. I apologize if it seems jumbled.

I still feel elective monarchy with a bill of rights and provisions for impeachment is the best way to go.

How do you propose to protect any minority against the majority? "True" democracy is a terrible form of government.

DoctorPainkiller said:
I still feel elective monarchy with a bill of rights and provisions for impeachment is the best way to go.
Monarchy blows, too.

Wheem said:
How do you propose to protect any minority against the majority? "True" democracy is a terrible form of government.
Why does the protection of minorities against the majority matter? It is a given that the majority will prevail. The minority shall not get what they want if it is against what the majority wants, because they're the minority.
Unless of course the Majority is alright with a minority having what it wants. But then, isn't everybody suddenly that minority, and therefore a majority?

The minority can draft their own constitution and make their own country if they are able and willing.

Splintert said:
Even if you got 100,000 people to form a country out of say, 21 million, I don't imagine the parent country would be so willing to just let them secede.
Well then, there's going to be a fight about it if it's that important to both sides.
This is politics.

Wheem said:

DoctorPainkiller said:
Monarchy blows, too.

^
What he said.

Elections don't necessarily lead to things like basic freedoms, equality, an independent justice system, or transparency of government among other things. All it does, if elections are fair, is that the priorities of the majority will be pushed to the forefront and that the political mechanisms will have to take some of it into account.

Rallix said:
Wheem said:
Why does the protection of minorities against the majority matter? It is a given that the majority will prevail. The minority shall not get what they want if it is against what the majority wants, because they're the minority.
Unless of course the Majority is alright with a minority having what it wants. But then, isn't everybody suddenly that minority, and therefore a majority?

The minority can draft their own constitution and make their own country if they are able and willing.

Because the minorities are people too? Because while they may not be the majority, their political aspirations are not illegitimate?

Rallix said:
Splintert said:
Even if you got 100,000 people to form a country out of say, 21 million, I don't imagine the parent country would be so willing to just let them secede.
Well then, there's going to be a fight about it if it's that important to both sides.
This is politics.

No, it's a slaughter.

You'd have to be delusional to think any government would let a large portion of its citizens not only secede and form their own government (presumably on already claimed territory), but let them equip themselves to stand a chance. Last I checked, civilians can't acquire heavy weapons or anti-tank, anti-air weapons at will in any 1st world country.

Rallix said:
Why does the protection of minorities against the majority matter?
Because I belong to a minority ethnic group that barely survived the last genocide, follow a small religion, and don't fall into the socially acceptable category system for sexual preference, all while living in the heartlands of the ultra-conservative white Christian Bible Belt land? Is it too much to ask that the majority have some legal barrier from shooting me?

Wheem said:

Exactly what I was thinking reading the first little bit of that.

Representative democracies do not give special protection against abuse of power by the 5% of the people which have a say on the policy and influence on the society through media and education.

Yes it does. You can't vote voters out of office because they don't occupy one. People tend to vote for the candidate they hate least, not the one they like best. In other words, they are voting against agendas, not so much for agendas. As that is the case, direct democracy allows voters to actively push agendas instead of placing the risk of job-loss on the power that pushes that agenda, a power that tends to act more conservatively than its constituency, regardless of its politics.

Will Rogers said:
Its a good thing we don't get as much government as we pay for.

The slowness and dysfunction of government is exactly what empowered minorities looks like, as the action of such a government requires more than a minimal level of consensus.

Direct democracy only works well for local issues still comprehensible to the average voter.
Imagine a direct vote on parts of a government budget... average voters will be irresponsible, selfish and ignorant.

Danik said:
I can't remember that happening in ancient Greece, or any massacres and serious violations against minorities.

Yes, because slaves aren't people :lol:, and the Greeks were an entirely peaceful bunch of city states that never fought each other, never enslaved each other given half the chance, and killed off entire populations like Milos whenever it was convenient to do so or the general population was miffed that such a small village was opposing their hegemony.

I really want to rant about this. But I figure it's pointless since all that I would say is already summed up very nicely:

Amontadillo said:
People are too stupid for it. Also there are too many of them.

Bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom