Diplomacy - Interest check and Sign ups

Users who are viewing this thread

It seems there is enough interest to at least see if we can get seven players.

I'm going to use jdip to host the game. The program does almost all of the adjudicating by itself, so it shouldn't give us any trouble during the game. It's also very flexible, the orders can be pasted exactly as I receive them, mistakes and all, or I can manually adjust them so there's no need to actually format it the right way. That would depend on everyone's preference.

Also, the fact that it has nice and easily understandable maps is a plus.

I'm leaning towards the standard game, no variants.

My first thought was having a year each week, but that does seem a bit ambitious. The new suggestion for deadlines is 5 days for movement phases and 2 for retreats/builds.

The rules for those who want to know what I'm talking about.

Anyone interested?

The map:

ZqRLC.png

I just read that game you linked and whoa it was full of replacements, missed moves, and a Turkish snowball. It was a fun read heh.

And that's with all of Villy's post gone.

I would like very much to avoid missed moves in this game. They just break the balance, badly. Anyone who wishes to sign up should keep this in mind.

We have four, potentially five players. Still need a couple more to start the game. So come on, don't be shy, and sign up. It's a fun game, and no more demanding on your sanity than WW or resistance. I promise there's very little that can match the feeling of a well executed stab against that player who was helping you the entire game. Well, maybe being on the receiving end of the knife isn't as much fun, but it's your fault for being so trusting in the first place.  :razz:

And for those who have already signed up, any preferences regarding hosting style or country choosing?

This is a horrible idea, but I'm interested. I have no idea, though. I can read up the rules and all that jazz, but how much time do I need to invest compared to WW or Resistance? And how long do you expect the game to last?

And I'm only in if I get to play Austro-Hungary.

There is a website for that kind of game, as a "warlight", people can co-op or multiplayer and play together on there

But i am up for it too

edit : We can play eu3-4 or that kind of games either :grin:

Adaham said:
This is a horrible idea, but I'm interested. I have no idea, though. I can read up the rules and all that jazz, but how much time do I need to invest compared to WW or Resistance? And how long do you expect the game to last?
The amount of time needed to play this game depends a lot  of how much talking you do with the other players. Technically, you could spend five minutes per turn to just send your orders and forget about it until the update, though I don't recommend playing like this. It's much less demanding than WW, that's for sure. As for how long it's going to last, that depends on the pacing we manage to set. If we can achieve my goal of doing a year (three turns) each week, the game should last roughly 6 weeks, but if everyone is playing well, it could last longer.

And I'm only in if I get to play Austro-Hungary.
That can be arranged, though it's not the easiest country to play.

That's a rather fast pace, with 2-3 days per turn you run the chance of someone hitting a couple busy days and not being able to prepare adequately.
Still, the game ought to move along, so I'm not sure whether extending would be beneficial either.

I wouldn't mind granting extensions when needed, but the game has to move along. I don't want this to still be going on four months from now. Besides, three days for each move phase and one day for each build phase isn't unrealistic.

I hate to say so, but from what you described, I'd better not do it. I know I'll be traveling quite a bit over the next 6 weeks, so there'll be multiple periods in which I'll be hard pressed to do something substantial within a 3 day time-frame. Hosting a Werewolf game will probably be enough of a chore already.

But if you host a game, I might read along to get a grasp and join the next round.

Yeah, the timing could be better. I was originally planning to wait until new year to host, but I'm bored. If this is successful enough for a second game, I'll reserve you a spot.

Anyway, we still only have five players, maybe six if Ej plays. I'll wait for a couple more days to see if anyone else is interested in grabbing those last few spots. If we can't find anyone else, there are a couple options available, and I'll have to think which one is better.

So, I'd like to give this another try. Since my original proposed deadline seemed a bit ambitious, I'm thinking 5 days for each movement phase and 2 for builds. I also updated the first post with a map of the starting positions.

Is everyone who signed up for the first time still interested? And anyone else wants to play?

Back
Top Bottom