SP Modern Sci-Fi Dies the Fire (New team Members Pg 54)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
titlescreenud6.png

This is a mod based on the book by SM Stirling called "Dies the Fire"

Team
Smaug_the_dragon :  Lead design & modeler, scripter ect
Eother: 3d models and Texturing
Maethori: 3d Models and Texturing
Drifter 3d models and Textures
Occams Razor Scripting
RavenSteel 3d models and Texturing
Racetyme 3d models and Texturing
stonegolem 3d models and Texturing
HannerD Backgrounds and Characters
Kapt. Krunch 3d Models and Texturing

Contributers
Nethoras
The Bitter Earth team

Pictures

vancouverbf4.png

telephonepolesqp7.png

horsezv7.png

Basic story background:
Something-subtly alters the physical laws of the natural universe just enough so that the Promethean flame of technology is abruptly extinguished.  The party's over.  No more electricity, no more guns, no more internal combustion, nowhere on Earth. Why, remains a mystery. (until much later in the series)

The enitre world is plunged back into the feudal age.  People die by the millions due to lack of food, fires disease and by other people.  No order. Total chaos, anarchy. The only way to survive is to fight.

When technology dies, how will you survive?

For a review of the Book. 
( http://www.scifidimensions.com/Feb05/diesthefire.htm for a better review of the book.  )

Want to help?

For a total conversion such as this many items are required. If your interested please take a look at the list below.  Textured items are worth alot more then untextured ones, and for ones already sized and compiled in .BRF files I would kiss your feet.

Buildings

4x Apartment buildings
5x Inner city stores. (pizza places, ect)
Smallish strip malls
skyscrapers
Modern Houses
Modern Barns and Farm houses
Ruined houses
Burnt down houses

Vehicles

Bikes
Cars
Trucks
14 wheeler trucks
Busses
Firetruck
Ruined vehicles

[Food and barter goods]
First Aid stuff
medicine
glass
sheet metal

clothes and equipment
Modern looking clothes
Jeans,
t-shirts
Bicycle helmets
patched and ragged versions
Suits.
Female clothing
Tank tops.

Miscellaneous

Rubble (generic rubble that can be placed around the place)
Street signs.
Modern Fences.
Modern Road Barriers
Modern Bows
Modern Crossbows

so it would basically be a medieval setting only with modern people and countries, etc. sounds pretty cool. it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. you could develop heraldry and coats of arms that modern people would design, like the american flag on shields or something like that. also, one question, did all the technology just disappear, or do the actual objects remain, e.g. busted cars?

smaug_the_dragon said:
All the stuff is still there it just dosen't work.  Useless cars litter the highways ect.

well, I'm not trying to be a spoiler, but what's the reason behind it? is it magical? religious?scientifical? I mean what causes everything to suddenly stop working?

(haven't read the book, obviously)

Also, working a bit on the concept.,..what sort of stuff would people wear? medieval armor or modern clothes? the swords and melee weapons would be like what?

well people would wear what they had or scavanged until they started making there own stuff.  Same goes with weapons.  Baseball bats and sharpend shovels until the archaic skills became common place again.

As to what caused "the Change" as its called in the book.    The author is on the 4th book and hasn't specifically nailed down why it happend.  A massive Electrical storm was sighted off the eastern coast of the United states right before everybody on the planet expereinced a sharp stinging pane and saw nothing but a bright flash, and then the world was changed.

Some of the characters in the story present several theries as to why.

An outside alien race deiced Mankind was too full of himself and wanted to take them down a peg
God did it, to prevent mankind destroying themselves with pollution, global warming ect.
Its happend every couple thousand or so, just nobody noticed as they didn't have technology or gunpowder.

I like the idea of hurling barbed arrows at enemies with my war bow, while taking cover behind a destroyed/burning Pinto. it's just so juxtapositional and wrong, that it has to be fun.

While the reviews of the book are not all that positive, it does seem to be an interesting concept. Let alone the fact that barely anyone (except maybe the occasional swordmaker in Toledo and other areas of the world) makes swords out of Spring steel like they need to, makes true-to-medieval bows and arrows, etc... It would really force you to think. Most buildings in the modern age aren't built for defensibility. We don't live in that type of society anymore, where constant attack (other than robbery), while not expected, is prepared for. The idea of besieging a 7-11 might be fun... but to be stuck inside it finding out how to defend it? First of all, in a 7-11 is there even room to swing a sword? What stops every aisle from being an ambush point? How are you going to take out the crossbowman by the orange juice section? When you're finished with all the fighting, how will you secure the Big Gulp machine?

While highly improbable and coming from a book that apparently does a less than adequate job of describing the situation, forcing people to think "out of the box" in this way would be very fun.

Yeah, and humans are known for being incapable of improvising when it comes to inflict violance.

KON_Air said:
Yeah, and humans are known for being incapable of improvising when it comes to inflict violance.

They are? i thought they were always extremely capable of inflicting violence, even when improvising.

While highly improbable and coming from a book that apparently does a less than adequate job of describing the situation

Actually the book suffers more from too much description rather then not enough.  The author portrays the human life and death struggle vary well he just has trouble nowing when to pick up the pace.

VALARLIGHT said:
KON_Air said:

They are? i thought they were always extremely capable of inflicting violence, even when improvising.

I believe he was using sarcasm, though, unfortunately, it's hard to discern tone through text. Then again, you're probably using sarcasm too.  :sad: I'm confused.

Boosh said:
VALARLIGHT said:
KON_Air said:

I believe he was using sarcasm, though, unfortunately, it's hard to discern tone through text. Then again, you're probably using sarcasm too.  :sad: I'm confused.

Keep looking, Watson.

yeah...there's no scientific reason possible, as to why automated stuff like guns would stop working. It must be something mystical/magical really.

No, it just could be a scientific effect we don't understand yet.

Ever see Maximum Overdrive? Read Children of Man(Or the new movie)? It seems like to me, the cause is not important. The effect is...

I think I will pick this book up. 

No wait! I know why! They made Adeptus Mechanicus angry and then they have casted a planetwide Machine Curse!

Solar Flare? or Sunspot? I know sunspots are the ones that cause EMP's and stuff, disrupting radio, etc. A really big one could knock out power in a global scale, but then, it'd have to be (afaik) at least as big as the earth. And Sunspots don't just disappear, they take lots of time we need to rotate and stuff. anyway,

what could cause guns to malfunction? They're basically a spruced up crossbow, using friction, heat and etc. to make the thing fire a bullet really fast. It could possibly be a loss of heat or something, but then people'd die too. haha. Anyway.

Really interesting mod. Good Luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom