Did Cav get improved much by 1.81? I think it's a tiny bit better but want more fix please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Haven't got into my campaigns (waiting for mods to be approved) but I tried a bit just to see and..... it's noticeable.... but still not as good as I think they should be. What I wonder is if they actually tried to improve them or just removed something to put them back a 1.7.2 performance? They described it as fixing a bug, so maybe that's all they did.

What say you? Is it finally the day of the heavy Cav bulldozer? I don't think so....

As shown in your video, why is it so hard to make the AI make sure that the vast majority of your cav cycle charge together?

It is so more effective, this one thing!

Well, cavalry is going to be more difficult to deal with for sure.

For comparison, in 1,8 using 100 legionaries vs. 100 T6 cavalry and ordering them to countercharge let to a consistent 60 to 1 K/D ratio in favor of the legionaries. Now, it appears to be roughly even.

Cavalry did better against a defending infantry formation and I dont doubt that cavalry would win in that scenario post 1,81.

There is a visible improvement. If it is enough or not, I can't say. IMO it is always very subjective. As for me, I like it. Problem that remains is effectivity of spears itself, especially in zero thrust situations => actor doesn't have space to do complete back/forward thrust resulting in a dud hit.

Very, very often I'm still seeing cavalry draw back their arm for a stab, hold the attack until they have already ridden past the enemy, and then finally release their attack when it's too late. And not couch their lances.

Cavalry seem almost completely incapable of hitting anything in melee which they are not riding directly towards at a very specific angle.

They are definitely still not worth their cost. We have to pay warhorses for these guys. They should be worth the additional investment.

It should be a steamroller like Warband. Instead it's a ****ing wet noodle!

10 Banner Knights against 60 Recruits will get 30 kills and die.

10 Khan's Guards against 60 Recruits will get 60 kills and take 0 casualties.

10 Khan's Guards against 10 Banner Knights will get 10 kills and take a whopping 1 casualty.

HOLY **** FIX THE GAME

Last edited:
Well, cavalry is going to be more difficult to deal with for sure.

For comparison, in 1,8 using 100 legionaries vs. 100 T6 cavalry and ordering them to countercharge let to a consistent 60 to 1 K/D ratio in favor of the legionaries. Now, it appears to be roughly even.

Cavalry did better against a defending infantry formation and I dont doubt that cavalry would win in that scenario post 1,81.
My game install may not be updating appropriately between versions, but I can't tell any difference between 1.8 and 1.8.1 in regards to cavalry.

10 Khan's Guards against 10 Banner Knights will get 10 kills and take a whopping 1 casualty.

HOLY **** FIX THE GAME
Thing is it's simple enough to "fix" Khan Guards by removing the Glaive, giving them a spear or saber.

But then they are going to be pretty useless other than as a horse archer (though horse archers are already pretty strong, so is that really a problem?)

Simple truth is weapons aren't very balanced in this game. Weapons like the Glaive and Billhook are stupidly power "one hit" weapons, with the only downside being you need some swinging room. Also I think the damage zone of these weapons is too generous, pretty sure there's been times where I've hit enemies with the shaft and that still does full damage. There really needs to be a more concise sweet spot for full damage.

I can overlook a number things, but the fact SnailWorlds in 2+ years of Early Access hasn't done anything to really balance weapons (other than pike bracing) is pretty concerning. I can accept some "wants" as being better left to mods, but it really should not be the community's job to balance weapons. It boggles my mind how absolutely useless spears are on foot. They are good at stunning horses, and that's literally it. Spears/polearms were literally the most widely used weapons in antiquity (granted a lot of that is due to cheapness and ease of use), but this game would make you question hunter-gathers for using spears in place of clubs to kill.

Uga: "Look! I have created stick with pointy end to kill mountain lion!"

Boga: "Why not Uga just use club? Club kill mountain lion in one hit."

*Uga attempts to stab mountain lion, but can't even complete stab before being clawed to death*

*Boga bops mountain lion with club once; kills it instantly*

but I can't tell any difference between 1.8 and 1.8.1 in regards to cavalry.
Yep, there is certainly no big difference.
Thing is it's simple enough to "fix" Khan Guards by removing the Glaive, giving them a spear or saber.

But then they are going to be pretty useless other than as a horse archer (though horse archers are already pretty strong, so is that really a problem?)
I think that being the best horse archer in the game is more than enough - they don't need to be good melee troops too. They should be about as good as a T4 dedicated infantry troop in melee.

Fians are an exception because they're the only elite troop that isn't mounted, so being better in melee to compensate is OK.

So yeah, removing the Glaive would make sense. Or just balancing it
I can overlook a number things, but the fact SnailWorlds in 2+ years of Early Access hasn't done anything to really balance weapons (other than pike bracing) is pretty concerning. I can accept some "wants" as being better left to mods, but it really should not be the community's job to balance weapons. It boggles my mind how absolutely useless spears are on foot. They are good at stunning horses, and that's literally it. Spears/polearms were literally the most widely used weapons in antiquity (granted a lot of that is due to cheapness and ease of use), but this game would make you question hunter-gathers for using spears in place of clubs to kill.

Uga: "Look! I have created stick with pointy end to kill mountain lion!"

Boga: "Why not Uga just use club? Club kill mountain lion in one hit."

*Uga attempts to stab mountain lion, but can't even complete stab before being clawed to death*

*Boga bops mountain lion with club once; kills it instantly*
All too true

Back
Top Bottom