Did 1.5.9 equal battle size for armies?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Arkyll

Recruit
I have noticed since 1.5.9 that if two large armies fight they will have equal troop count totally disproportionate to the actual ratio of total troops on either side.
Im not sure if this is maybe being caused by a mod or something else, can anyone verify this?

I hope this wasnt just changed because it was perfectly fine before, and it is a bad design decision to make it equal.

Its there in the first place to emulate the ratio of a larger fight. Because 1000 vs 2000 isnt possible, the troop count in battle should be more like say 200 vs 400.

I dont even think it was that bad to begin with, just that before, if you have the numbers advantage, that would be represented in the battle.
Now it isnt, and this is bad because it means that smaller possibly more elite armies have an artifical advantage because the game is essentially giving them a defeat-in-detail advantage.

Last edited:
The tactics skill of the army commanders adjust how many troops will be on each side. I don't have the actual formula available.

For example: Two armies with 1000 soldiers per side fight. One army commander has 100 tactics skill and the other 50. The troops on the battlefield at the battle's start would be about 666 vs 333 solely based on tactics skill. Army size ratio will also factor into this if the army sizes are different.

The tactics skill of the army commanders adjust how many troops will be on each side. I don't have the actual formula available.

For example: Two armies with 1000 soldiers per side fight. One army commander has 100 tactics skill and the other 50. The troops on the battlefield at the battle's start would be about 666 vs 333 solely based on tactics skill. Army size ratio will also factor into this if the army sizes are different.

Is that right? It’d be great if that was communicated to the player in-game in some way. Would make leveling up tactics much more relevant.

Yeah, it would be cool if the encyclopedia was actually...an encyclopedia!

-Skill explanation
-Diplomacy/Kingdom functions
-Traits functionality
-Faction Ledger

This is what comes to my head in 5 seconds but I doubt we will see something like this in the foreseeable future!

Ok so it turns out that I have twice the tactics skill of anyone that I face yet the battle troop count is equal.

Well, even in Warband the tactics skill determined the unit deployment ratio. I am actually surprised this has been implemented in Bannerlord only recently.

I can confirm the battles always start equal numbers on my 1.59 vanilla. My battle size is set to 400 and every large battles so far had started at 200:200. As an experiment I changed size to 500 and battles starts with 250:250. The only except is when one side doesn't have the numbers to make up half of the max settings.

I can confirm the battles always start equal numbers on my 1.59 vanilla. My battle size is set to 400 and every large battles so far had started at 200:200. As an experiment I changed size to 500 and battles starts with 250:250. The only except is when one side doesn't have the numbers to make up half of the max settings.
wow that sucks for larger armies...

what's your tactic skill vs your enemy's?
what's your army size and theirs?
more details plz

Details
My tactics skills are very low, less than 20. Clan tier was at most 2 with party size between 20-40. I've started a new game and intentionally kept my Tactics very low, putting no points into it. The goal was to be as non-intrusive as possible because I've noticed a lot of things are different in 1.59.

These are from me joining big battles in progress, so its AI vs AI to begin with or occasionally I'd attack a larger AI army when allies are close by. Either way the AI would have higher Tactics skill than my character. Unless Tactics skills doesn't matter for AI or AI lords all have the same Tactics, battles always start equal number. Even when I start the battle and AI army joins, my side should be outnumbered because of my low Tactics.

I generally join battles that are favorable, but I've joined in from equal numbers to 2:1. Last night I attacked a Khuzait 800 army running away from a Southern Empire 1200 army. Battle started equal numbers, reinforcement came in to top up the numbers to always be even and since kills are pretty even the winner always loose around the same number as the defender. Southern Empire army won and had 350 men left.

Since 1.59 came out I've played a lot of these battles and even with previous characters with higher Tactics, (around 75) armies always start out equal. Pretty sure its a 1.59 thing.

It does kind of suck for large armies. This along with a pretty consistent 1:1 kill ratio feels like TW's way of balancing the game.

I have noticed since 1.5.9 that if two large armies fight they will have equal troop count totally disproportionate to the actual ratio of total troops on either side.
Im not sure if this is maybe being caused by a mod or something else, can anyone verify this?

I hope this wasnt just changed because it was perfectly fine before, and it is a bad design decision to make it equal.

Its there in the first place to emulate the ratio of a larger fight. Because 1000 vs 2000 isnt possible, the troop count in battle should be more like say 200 vs 400.

I dont even think it was that bad to begin with, just that before, if you have the numbers advantage, that would be represented in the battle.
Now it isnt, and this is bad because it means that smaller possibly more elite armies have an artifical advantage because the game is essentially giving them a defeat-in-detail advantage.
This is caused by RBM AI module, we gave advantage to the defenders (some 1 month ago).
It would be actually funny if TW did similiar feature at similiar time.

Back
Top Bottom