Devs, read your subreddit, people are angry

Users who are viewing this thread

Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
NPC99 said:
I stand corrected.  :oops:
I’m glad you’re through that phase, where Ali Erkin referred to an army of interns.
Only two survived, what a massacre.

:grin: No massacre, hopefully most interns were talented enough for full time employment.

Discuss.
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
as we approach release

Fingers crossed for a successful MP closed beta followed by a more advanced Gamescom demo that can roll into a single player beta with a general release end of 2019 or first half of 2020.  :grin:

NPC99 said:
Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
NPC99 said:
I’m glad you’re through that phase, where Ali Erkin referred to an army of interns.

:grin: No massacre, hopefully most interns were talented enough for full time employment.

Discuss.
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
as we approach release

Fingers crossed for a successful MP closed beta followed by a more advanced Gamescom demo that can roll into a single player beta with a general release end of 2019 or first half of 2020.  :grin:

Singleplayer beta is far from ideal. I think they should directly release the game after Gamescom

RKStranger said:
NPC99 said:
Rodrigo Ribaldo said:
NPC99 said:

Discuss.
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
as we approach release

Singleplayer beta is far from ideal. I think they should directly release the game after Gamescom

Maybe, however the MP beta will only solve combat balance etc. Bug testing SP quests, siege ai meshes etc. still needs to be considered.

Remember that they have an army of ex-interns to help the final push with SP testing.
A public SP beta would ruin the release with leaked spoilers. They need to keep their best stuff secret for the immediate post-release hype.
Bugs can be patched, but word-of-mouth hype can't be manufactured.

Interns aren't bad for everything guys, like extra people doing 3D models won't ruin other things or need a lot of supervision besides an inspection of the final product to see if it's up to standards etc.
Also I'd imagine that their level/scene design tool is pretty easy to pick up so having interns do extra scenes to speed up the process won't hurt either.

That being said, 80 full-time guys, 7-8 years of development and still you're not even sure which features will be in the game?? You're honestly playing a dangerous game ending up in an infinite loop. At some point the leadership has to make a final decision on what will be there and when it should be done, working without a deadline is demotivating for such a long period! Also while crunch periods aren't generally fun, it's a fact people work harder when they're close to a deadline.

Rungsted93 said:
Interns aren't bad for everything guys, like extra people doing 3D models won't ruin other things or need a lot of supervision besides an inspection of the final product to see if it's up to standards etc.
Also I'd imagine that their level/scene design tool is pretty easy to pick up so having interns do extra scenes to speed up the process won't hurt either.

Reliance on interns and entry level developers is why so many big budget games recently have been absolute train wrecks. Fallout 76 is the most current example as it was basically handed over to a studio of mostly inexperienced developers.

I think part of the lengthy development time for Bannerlord is that experienced devs were actually taking time to review intern work, and redoing it if it's poor. We know there's been lots of rehashes of content and features, so this could be part of the explanation.

Orion said:
I think part of the lengthy development time for Bannerlord is that experienced devs were actually taking time to review intern work, and redoing it if it's poor. We know there's been lots of rehashes of content and features, so this could be part of the explanation.

I’d love to watch a behinds the scenes documentary that explains it all after release.

Orion said:
Interns ruined Mount and Blade 2 in order to make Mount and Blade 3 better. I'm glad that TW is thinking long-term and this is what they should be telling the banks looking to foreclose.

But seriously, when the **** hits the fan, all that investing in the future crap is quickly set aside and the core developers look after their own problems. Interns are left to fend for themselves until the crisis is over and are certainly not given anything that can delay the project.
The delay, per Armagan, is purely on the heads of management and lead developers for failing to address technological risks in time. Twice, which is pretty bad.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
[...]
With our development process being quite fluid it is really quite difficult for me to engage in deep discussions about too many topics at the moment. And, naturally, people tend to ask questions about the topics that I can't discuss right now. A lot of things in the game are subject to change and we have backed ourselves into a corner in the past with announcing certain features that we later had to rework or remove for various reasons. If I take the easy route and try to answer everything as best as I can based on the current state of the game and our goals, it will surely appease you in the short term. However, if you later find out that a lot of those things have changed, or in some cases removed entirely, then you won't be too happy when you get your hands on the game. I also run the risk of giving away too much info (and most likely something that would be good for a blog topic which would reach a wider audience) or it could be something that ruins a surprise for you before you even have a chance to play the game. In short, I'd love to engage with you all more, and as we approach release you will definitely be seeing me around a lot more, but for now, I won't make promises that I can't keep. [...]

Callum, you know that my "critical assaults" at no time are against you behind the avatar or your professionalism, but rather against the guidelines of your company as far as your position towards the fan-customer. I sincerely believe that at this point in the development process of your product, you should stop nonsense, fears and adopt a sincere, honest and realistic behavior, both for us and for your company. We all want Bannerlord to come out as soon as possible and it's very rewarding to listen to developers as enthusiastically as you do, but you have to strive to be realistic as to what has happened and what happens.

In this industry you have to be able to say what you want to say straightforwardly, without euphemisms that distort reality. If something has to be delayed or if there are difficulties along the way, it is totally understandable and acceptable; but using honesty to share that information without trying to deceive the consumer or underestimating in the same way.

When you considered removing the castles building feature and gave us a credible explanation of why you did it; we understood it perfectly and accepted the change. On the contrary, what unfortunately happened to the ambushes? (much less I want to face it to you), when receiving an "explanation" of such caliber, as you will understand...it was not very well received for all of us (I personally felt worse the poor explanation totally insubstantial than the fact of dropping the feature). When honesty is used in communication; most of the time the message (whatever it is) is accepted if the reasons are both compelling and convincing; not by means of cheap excuses that only erode the trust that is so difficult to achieve.

Therefore, that fear that you apparently have of talking to us about the game in a clear, open and straightforward way; even if you think you don't want to spoil the player's experience; - the message that transcends to the fan, is that either it isn't (the mechanics or features) yet implemented or it hasn't started to be developed or you don't have any idea of both.

Your profession is not an easy task as many ratkids think it is, it requires bringing together the talent of many people to carry out a correct application of a cosmological vision in the final product; let's not talk about the time invested. What we can no longer understand (can you really believe me when I tell you that I honestly am not angry; rather I am extremely perplexed) is why we are told about transparency and then we are given the door in the nose?

The ability to speak frankly about the problems of the past and the problems in this development process; it can be a cathartic process that doesn't really undermine the final sales of your product; I sincerely think so.

Even if you have internal goals within the company, to begin to open hatches even though you don't feel comfortable at first and to begin to transmit a good communication in the relations with your fans, will be the first effective step to increase the confidence towards the fan-consumer; that nowadays is in danger of extinction. You should not be afraid to publish more information if you do it from honesty and put aside the cowardly excuses, euphemisms and sweet pious lies. To begin to spread enthusiastically, straightforwardly and honestly the information with us would be an unbeatable communication strategy that can only be positive for all.

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom