Development Update #6: Rebellions, Missions and More!

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

It's about time for another development update, don't you think? In this video, we take a look at some upcoming changes to the game, including two new mission types.

We hope you enjoy the video and we look forward to reading your comments about the updates! And as always, a text version can be found below for those that prefer to read.

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

After a short hiatus, we’re back again with another development update! In this video, we’ll be taking a look at some of the updates that will be making their way to the live and beta versions of the game in the near future, as well as, a couple of new missions that are still in the works!

We hope you enjoy the video.

GRANT/RELINQUISH FIEF
First up is the ability to grant and relinquish fiefs.

When playing as a faction leader, you will be given the option to grant fiefs to your vassals, allowing you to diversify the ownership of fiefs across your kingdom, or bolster relations with a clan that might not be too fond of your rule.

Similarly, when playing as a vassal, you will have the option to relinquish control of a fief back to the kingdom, allowing a new round of voting to start on which clan should receive the fief.

These changes will give you much greater control over your lands, allowing you to plan ahead without any unexpected acquisitions complicating matters.

SETTLEMENT EVENT NOTIFICATIONS
Next, we have some new icons on settlement nameplates to indicate if there’s any issues or tournaments happening within a settlement, without needing to enter.

DISABLE DEATH
A new campaign setting has been added that allows you to disable the birth and death systems. Please note that you will need to start a new game to enable this option, and it can’t be changed afterwards, but the option is now there for those of you that are looking for a bit of a less dynamic and more familiar playthrough.

SIMULATION IMPROVEMENTS
A few important changes have been made to the campaign simulation that we wanted to highlight, some of which are already on beta and others that are coming in the next updates.

First, AI characters are now able to get married. And second, being somewhat connected is the addition of many new AI clan members. These changes aim to ensure that most, if not all, clans have enough clan members to lead parties, as well as, to increase the overall population and longevity of clans through children.

Additionally, more efforts have been made to address snowballing, with upcoming changes that enable factions to make comebacks, even after losing a few settlements. This is achieved through a more even distribution of wealth within each kingdom through a shared treasury, allowing clans to stick in the fight for much longer!

Finally, an inflation-related issue that allowed kingdoms to keep generating wealth has been resolved to make for a more healthy and stable economy.

PASSIVE RELATION EFFECT
A new mechanic is on the way that grants companions and clan members that are outside of a party with a passive effect that improves player relations with non-hostile clans and notables. When left in a friendly or neutral settlement, the companion or clan member will no longer roam the map, and instead will act in a new emissary type role, using their charm skill to increase relations while earning XP.

REBELLIONS
A new rebellion feature is incoming with the next beta patch that enables unhappy citizens to rise up and seize control of settlements.

The loyalty and security of a settlement is affected by a number of things, such as if there is a culture mismatch between the settlement owner and its inhabitants, whether the town was recently captured, the strength of the garrison, kingdom policies, governor skills, and so on...

As the loyalty of a settlement decreases, more and more citizens will take up arms in the form of militia. Once the militia feels that they are stronger than the garrison, and providing loyalty is low enough, a rebellion will occur.

A new clan will then take control of the settlement and attempt to establish themselves and legitimise their rule. If they manage to hold on to the settlement for a period of time, eventually they will be recognised by other clans and will be able to initiate diplomacy with kingdoms.

PRISON BREAK
Finally, we have the first of two missions that are a work in progress and subject to change, but that we wanted to share with you anyway.

Prison breaks allow you to break into enemy settlements and spring clan members, vassals, and friendly or neutral lords free from prison! If successful in breaking into a settlement, you will need to fight your way back out with prisoner in tow.

Naturally, breaking someone free comes at great risk to both you and the prisoner, especially when playing with death enabled!

KEEP BATTLES
And last, but by no means least, we have keep battles!

Keep battles present players with a different challenge from the standard field battles that make up the majority of Bannerlord’s engagements, with the fight taking place at extreme close-quarters in an enclosed space.

When assaulting a castle, you may find that the defenders decide to pull back their remaining forces to the castle keep to make a final stand. And it’s here where you will need to finish off the last of the defenders for the siege to be successful.

OUTRO
And that’s it for Development Update #6. We hope you enjoyed the video and we are looking forward to hearing your feedback about the changes in the comment section below.

Thanks for watching!

If they manage to hold on to the settlement for a period of time, eventually they will be recognised by other clans and will be able to initiate diplomacy with kingdoms.
When a rebel faction gains legitimacy, would their faction name change from being (location name) rebels to something else? (e.g. Charas Rebels -> Charas), or would the name stay the same?

Can we expect power struggles when kings die? I was extremely disappointed when, after executing the Aserai leader, the throne was flawlessly handed to his eldest son, while the other clans had absolutely no claim at all. Civil wars!

Also, how do rebel clans get created? It would make most sense for the most powerful civilian notable to become the leading clan of the rebellion.

When a rebel faction gains legitimacy, would their faction name change from being (location name) rebels to something else? (e.g. Charas Rebels -> Charas), or would the name stay the same?
mexxico said long ago that they'd join one of the kingdom. most likely the original fief owner.

Can we expect power struggles when kings die? I was extremely disappointed when, after executing the Aserai leader, the throne was flawlessly handed to his eldest son, while the other clans had absolutely no claim at all. Civil wars!

Also, how do rebel clans get created? It would make most sense for the most powerful civilian notable to become the leading clan of the rebellion.
factions use elective monarchy. when a king dies, a vote pops up for choosing the new one.

although people are saying if the PC was king, no vote pops up and his heir is the new king.

edit: it would be cool if the king vote took several days and you could try to convince lords to vote for you over the other candidates
while feasting

Nice to see some juicy upcoming content. Few things..

• Fiefs - as a faction leader, do we get to skip these votes or do we have to push through some sort of edict to be able to do so. Similiar to if you're relinquishing too.
  • Treasuries.. is each clan limited to taking out a set amount of coin (or even per person) over a set amount of time? So anyone can put anything in, but not take everything out. (Perhaps the King would have a higher share withdrawal due to being the monarch).
  • Rebellions... one of the factors which was mentioned was the culture of the captured settlement, which in turn determines (if you're a foreigner occupying the settlement) it would have a constant negative on the checksum. Is there any way to convert the culture, or at least pacify such so it is not a debuff to these calculations? (Would love to see being able to convert recruiting to said culture but that is a long shot) Also how are the rebellion troops defined? Is it pulled directly from the garrison? Just similar number to the garrison? And/or does it have troop quality of all types or just some lower-tier troops mixed in with milita to signify it being a knock-off town rebellion rather than a civil war?

Nice work. @Callum (or any other dev) Is there anything being done about the AI?
If so, is it related to siege, battle tactics, proper formations...?

@Callum i have a question about the keep battles - they're not going to be limited in numbers like hideout battles, right? If I have 200 remaining troops in a siege, all 200 can storm the keep, i don't need to pick 10 of them, right?
Probably we will have something like that, there is no way that they will to put 200 man inside that little keep, but i have no idea what its gonna happen if u loose the keep battle

Remaining mod tools? Any idea? Also, why is no births and deaths together instead of 2 different options? The idea of no deaths and having children will ensure a much harder late game with more lords running around.

Great!!

Settlement icons mod is baked into Native ! ?
Keep battles look good but due to pathfinding issues,framedrops, and stupid AI, I autoresolve most sieges anyway sieges require a lot more work
Rebellions and AI Marriages ?
Fief give/take options are great aswell ?
Prisonbreak is also good

Overall sirs, thank you and keep up the good work!

Like everyone else, I would like the development of Bannerlord to be "more agile"; I have to say that I am glad that little by little (yes, very slowly) it is taking shape.

However, in the closing block of the video I couldn't stop raising an eyebrow. I'll skip the "Prison Break" feature because we had it available in previous installments (let's hope the Lords don't end up attacking us this time) and focus on Keep Battle. It is beyond my understanding how a feature you told us about in early 2019 in Dev Blog 11/04/19 (intuitively in the 2016 siege video) and considering that it is a feature rescued from previous versions; currently tagged WIP along with Prison Break feature.

Then the whole criminal system and gangs will be practically in nappies? Beyond that feature I guess there won't be any more "heavy" content?

And let's not talk about the MP... we will see what the "pretty nice MP updates" bring us...

Damn newspaper library, right? "Finishing touches™" still resound in my head like "Dental Plan / Lisa Needs Braces" did in Homer's...

giphy.gif

It will be a great step in the right direction, looks like that the education system isn't still polish enough to be released... it is a shame, anyway I am eager to try the new features. :smile:

@Callum do you know if as defender the player will be able to retreat to the keep also? or it will work just for the AI ?

Last edited:
This interests me as well.
I think that the most reasonable route would be for a subsequent newly created AI kingdom to be named after the town it originated in.

However, there is a potential issue in the following possible scenario:
The rebel clan survives and becomes legitimate kingdom. Then it starts expanding and conquer a new town and a few castles somehow.
They lose their starting town to faction of a foreign culture to it.
Couple of years later the same town rebels against their new faction.
Rebels somehow gain legitimacy again, and now we have 2 AI kindoms both named the same, for example, Kingdom of Charas.

I know its very unlikely to happen, but isn't impossible, and the design should take into account all the scenarios, making the game futureproof as much as possible.

This interests me as well.
I think that the most reasonable route would be for a subsequent newly created AI kingdom to be named after the town it originated in.

However, there is a potential issue in the following possible scenario:
The rebel clan survives and becomes legitimate kingdom. Then it starts expanding and conquer a new town and a few castles somehow.
They lose their starting town to faction of a foreign culture to it.
Couple of years later the same town rebels against their new faction.
Rebels somehow gain legitimacy again, and now we have 2 AI kindoms both named the same, for example, Kingdom of Charas.

I know its very unlikely to happen, but isn't impossible, and the design should take into account all the scenarios, making the game futureproof as much as possible.

As far as I understood and if my memory don't trick me there won't be new AI kingdoms, @mexxico said that after one month the rebels will join to an existing faction at war with the original owner, so the "Charas rebels" will be always something temporal.

It's about time for another development update, don't you think? In this video, we take a look at some upcoming changes to the game, including two new mission types.
No I thinks it's about time for a patch.?

As far as I understood and if my memory don't trick me there won't be new AI kingdoms, @mexxico said that after one month the rebels will join to an existing faction at war with the original owner, so the "Charas rebels" will be always something temporal.

Afaik mexxico didnt work on that part of the code, so it might've been an earlier design on the feature or just a misinterpretation of the other coders work. I think that if they meant to keep it like that it would've been explicitly mentioned in the video. So far we have "initiating diplomacy with other kingdoms", which i hope means that they stay independent. Imagine supporting rebels in other factions' towns and having a set of smaller buffer kingdoms. That would be cooler than them joining idk vlandia

We will most deffinitely need a new relationship option other than friend/enemy.

We need an alliance diplomacy option, owning or being in a kingdom, and forming an alliance (blue indicator) with another faction, being able to call them in your wars or join theirs, expanding the army system so that it allows for an ally to join your army, for mich more influence than usual ,more easily exchanging newly conquered fiefs between the two kingdoms etc.

Back
Top Bottom