Development Update #5: Ranged Combat Update

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

In this Development Update video, we take a look at the upcoming changes to ranged combat. And as always, a text version can be found below for those of you that prefer to read.

Greetings warriors of Calradia, and welcome to development update #5!

By now, you should already know the format, so let’s jump straight into the video!

RANGED COMBAT UPDATE
A substantial change to ranged combat is in the works that aims to present you with a more meaningful choice when selecting a ranged weapon by making each of them more distinct from one another.

Currently, all ranged weapons share the same aiming system, with the initial crosshair and accuracy timings being the same across the board. With this update, each weapon will have its own unique aiming curve. For example, short bows will reach their maximum accuracy faster and be able to hold their aim for longer, while longbows will take more time to reach their maximum accuracy and have a shorter window for aiming, but will deal higher single-shot damage.

This change applies to all ranged weapons, including bows, crossbows and throwing weapons, giving each weapon a unique feeling in this subtle but impactful update to ranged gameplay.

EDUCATION
Education is a feature that will allow you to interact with and shape your offspring and other young clan members as they reach certain ages throughout their childhood. This will present you with a number of choices similar to your own character creation for each progression stage, giving you much more control over how your clan develops over time.

MANGONEL PROJECTILES
An update to mangonels is on its way that will bring them closer to their historical anti-infantry routes by giving you the option to fling multiple smaller projectiles towards the enemy instead of a single boulder.

LAME HORSES
A horse! A horse! my kingdom for a horse!

Horses that fall in combat can now be crippled or even killed outright, with lame horses that go on to fall in future battles being permanently downed. So be sure to look after your four-legged friend or be prepared to meet the same fate as King Richard III.

RADIAL ORDER MENU
A new radial order menu is being worked on to make the game more accessible for those of you who are playing with game controllers. This menu is still a work in progress and we are very much open to feedback on it so please make sure to let us know what you think!

PRISONER RECRUITMENT
A change to prisoner recruitment is on the horizon that aims to bring some balance to the feature and add a little depth by making recruitment slightly more difficult. With the change, recruiting prisoners will incur a morale penalty for your party. However, we do also plan to add perks that will make recruitment easier and that will reduce the morale penalty.

FOLLOW COMMAND
We recently added a new way to follow parties on the world map to make things a little less tedious when performing certain tasks. To do this, you simply need to hold down the Left Alt key and click on the party that you want to follow.

BATTANIAN CHAINMAIL
Finally, we have a new Battanian armour on its way. This armour features a decorative bronze disk and tartan shawl over a sturdy chainmail vest.

OUTRO
And that’s it for development update #5! Please make sure to leave a reply in the comment section below to let us know what you think of the changes.

Thanks for watching, and we hope to see you again next time!

RADIAL ORDER MENU
A new radial order menu is being worked on to make the game more accessible for those of you who are playing with game controllers. This menu is still a work in progress and we are very much open to feedback on it so please make sure to let us know what you think!
Add a feature so PC players can choose which option they want to use. I don’t want to play with the radial order menu because the speed of ordering is important in battle. Now I can give commands in 1-2 seconds: shield wall for infantry, loose for archers. But with the new control menu it will take longer.

very good :grin:

Add a feature so PC players can choose which option they want to use. I don’t want to play with the radial order menu because the speed of ordering is important in battle. Now I can give commands in 1-2 seconds: shield wall for infantry, loose for archers. But with the new control menu it will take longer.

Agreed, should be a toggle in the options, radial menu looks good for consoles/controllers but the bar already there is better for pc in my opinion.

Actually it won't affect your order speed. Only thing different would be the shortcut. Since those(shield wall and loose) didn't change positions, it would still take the same amount of time.

We disabled the mouse selection for orders in order to not lock the camera while giving orders(same as before) so on keyboard, players will still use the keyboard to give orders. Only thing changed is visuals and the F3-F7 command locations, for keyboard users.

very good :grin:

Agreed, should be a toggle in the options, radial menu looks good for consoles/controllers but the bar already there is better for pc in my opinion.

I actually talked to @Callum about this before he posted the video. I understand PC users wanting the option to choose radial or the vertical bar system. I personally feel the same way. For the time being, in order to collect feedback I didn't implement it but it's certainly possible and I'll bring it up internally.

Actually it won't affect your order speed. Only thing different would be the shortcut. Since those(shield wall and loose) didn't change positions, it would still take the same amount of time.

We disabled the mouse selection for orders in order to not lock the camera while giving orders(same as before) so on keyboard, players will still use the keyboard to give orders. Only thing changed is visuals and the F3-F7 command locations, for keyboard users.

I actually talked to @Callum about this before he posted the video. I understand PC users wanting the option to choose radial or the vertical bar system. I personally feel the same way. For the time being, in order to collect feedback I didn't implement it but it's certainly possible and I'll bring it up internally.
+1 for the option to select radial or vertical systems. Great video. Keep up the good work. :smile:

Have to agree with it being optional, it's a really nice QoL feature to add, but looking at it right now having a massive bubble pop up in the middle of your screen, covering your character is quite immersion breaking.

As PC players, this is just a little too much screen clutter for a UI.
66b848b8636e566cce5a9073bed57481.png

Does lame horses mean we will be getting other quality modifiers for other equipment soon? (Strong *bow*, Masterpiece *weapon*, reinforced *armor* etc.)

Or will that come with the smithing rework?

Have to agree with it being optional, it's a really nice QoL feature to add, but looking at it right now having a massive bubble pop up in the middle of your screen, covering your character is quite immersion breaking.

As PC players, this is just a little too much screen clutter for a UI.
66b848b8636e566cce5a9073bed57481.png
giphy.webp

Optional yes and all the above...A tear has fallen down my cheek when that radial menu did not offer this

Optional yes and all the above...A tear has fallen down my cheek when that radial menu did not offer this

Damn that looks good, i could die happy if only they added a command to select one division and tell it to attack another specific enemy division, loved this in warband mods that had the advanced formations feature where you would press the move button and release it over the enemy division you wanted them to attack.

I've lost count in Bannerlord of how many times i've orderly marched my infantry to the enemy lines, told them to advance or charge and they completely **** up by disengaging to pursue some horse skirmisher or advancing with my cavalry to flank, commanding them to charge and they doing the same thing with half the cavalry breaking off after some ***** skirmisher or something.

Its nice that you add new armors but i tried game after few months and still cant find decent armors in shops . Is that even in know issues or its not even an issue ? Sorry for english

Well done guys! I'm particularly excited about the ranged weapons changes, making each weapon group with its own peculiarity, Hopefully the same can be eventually achieved with the melee weapons, so that there's a purpose weapon for different occasions.

These changes look really nice. IMPORTANT: Do not release this update without first making sure that the Ai ranged units are properly programmed to handle the new aiming system for the different weapons, they still have not had their Ai fixed after 1.5 was implemented over 2 months ago and this is still a huge problem today. Please make sure that the Ai can handle the new changes before pushing the branch to live, thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom