Development Priorities

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok, you´re correct. So I correct my question:

A 50 Khuzait army against a 50 Empire/Battania/Sturgia/Aserai army, which army will have 3/1 cav units?

Neither.

The Khuzait parties have about 40-50% cavalry early in a campaign but that drops off one they start recruiting from other places, down to around 30-40% once they eat NE/Sturgia.

edit: To be clear, that is still a lot of cavalry but the early-game advantage doesn't work late-game because Khuzaits are majority non-Khuzait lords (usually Imperial), with majority non-Khuzait troops. It's just snowballing more fiefs, more recruits, more parties.

How much bonus do you want to give the Cataphracts so they stand a chance when they have 2-3 Cathaphracts / and 3-5 lower cav units in a 50 troop Empire army? While facing this 40+ cav Khuzait army.

100+?

None. If you're a force of fifty with 5-8 cavalry, facing down a force that is equal in size but with 35-39 cavalry, you're in for a rough time.

My preferred solution would be giving rural notables in villages bound to the central Midlands' towns an automatic +1 daily influence bonus when under Imperial control, so they'd much more readily produce noble troops. From there, Imperial armies -- at least those recruiting from their core lands -- would naturally recruit and train more cataphracts over time. It would make control of interior Empire land meaningful for a reason beyond "it exists, therefore I must take it."

Last edited:
i don't think extra noble troops are necessary. afterall, how much sense would an army of only noble troops make? i'd rather see them expand on mercenaries recruitable from taverns. there's still plenty of room for much more mercenaries, and the AI is actually able to recruit them.
Not that weird to be honest. Weren't a lot of the casualties of Agincourt a very large collection of French nobles? If a player wanted to build a noble only army, I don't see the issue. If it has to be limited, maybe tie the amount of nobles you can recruit to renown or something.

And I don't disagree with more mercenaries. As far as I care, more units is better.

Neither.

The Khuzait parties have about 40-50% cavalry early in a campaign but that drops off one they start recruiting from other places, down to around 30-40% once they eat NE/Sturgia.

edit: To be clear, that is still a lot of cavalry but the early-game advantage doesn't work late-game because Khuzaits are majority non-Khuzait lords (usually Imperial), with majority non-Khuzait troops. It's just snowballing more fiefs, more recruits, more parties.

None. If you're a force of fifty with 5-8 cavalry, facing down a force that is equal in size but with 35-39 cavalry, you're in for a rough time.

My preferred solution would be giving rural notables in villages bound to the central Midlands' towns an automatic +1 daily influence bonus when under Imperial control, so they'd much more readily produce noble troops. From there, Imperial armies -- at least those recruiting from their core lands -- would naturally recruit and train more cataphracts over time. It would make control of interior Empire land meaningful for a reason beyond "it exists, therefore I must take it."
ai lords must hate Khuzait hordes instead of join them, left the main kingdom must be really rare, and lords must die or convert into robber barons before join other kingdoms with diferent culture

i still think the main problem is that the empire and sturgia should get more horsemen in their regular line and the cavalry bonus needs to go. or better, depend on terrain. the game knows when you move through forest to slow your party down, so it must also recognize when a battle takes place in a forest, so it should not apply the cavalry bonus.

Greetings,

First of all, thank you for taking the time for writing about these topics.

1. Archers had always been an important aspect of warfare. Although we do not think a massive balancing is needed, we are always keeping an eye on what could change and how possible changes effects the game in simulations. We will be making further armor and balance changes within troop trees. Before making any more changes we would like to see how it will be received within the player base. If we feel that there is an imbalance towards archer heavy parties, I can assure you that we will take necessary actions.

2. We are trying to focus on the strengths of each faction and show them in a meaningful way. This, of course, does not mean that they would demolish the battlefield their special units. If players somehow make their parties/armies based on these units to some extent of the game it is good enough for us.

There will be a big armor value and equipment change we are working on ( Still needs to be thoroughly tested before it is good for the public builds) and we may make some more changes on troop weapons and troops if it is necessary but each change requires heavy testing to see how they synergize with every element of the game.

3. We are aware of the crafting system is being used for making easy money as of now. The crafting system will see some changes and pricing changes on weapons are also being worked on. I can't get into details but hopefully, it will turn out in a way where it will satisfy both crafters and traders.

4. Khuzait's being too dominant in the early stages (ergo snowball) of the game is something we know of. Our design team is doing some changes and testing to balance it out.

If I am to give a more general reply since they are more or less about the game balance, it is an extremely demanding task to balance out a game with so many different aspects into it. We do not want the community to do the testing for us that is why we are working so hard to find and examine each outcome of every small touch and change that we can possibly do. At the same time, we are keeping a close eye on player feedback as well. Hopefully the outcome will be able the please as many players as possible :smile:
Great answer, altgough something that really need to change in battanian don't have archer units other then Nobles and i do believe most players think the same about that if not all.
also what he said about factions having different type of troops should really be implemented in the Noble lines. other then bettanians all nobles are horseman, nobles should be the strongest unit of what that faction is known for, so empire nobles should be heavy inf, battanians should staylongbows, valandia should be Cav, sturgies should be throwing and 2h etc... should really not have cav for nobles in all factions.

also need to change the fac buffs for battanians and some others cause they are complete under whelming compare to others

I must object on the archer part. They are not dominating a bit. And if you know how to use your formations and tactics right then they are nothing to be worried about (well it depends ofc as it should). However AI can be a little bit off at times making strange moves letting their guards down as archers are hitting em in the sides.
Usually happens when they are like 10-20 meters away from the enemies they suddenly sidestep for some time letting their guard open then starts to attack. So AI needs some polishing making decisions in tactics at times on their own....But arrows dont need nerfing...My character can take 3 arrows in hardcore mode without any armor what so ever and its totally enough with that. No more easy mode please because with all these nerfs im gonna have to play without armors just to get some challenge from this game if it continues like this.... and i would say im pretty mediocre+ (having his power play moments at times) at this game. And saying Sturgia has poor ranged is just lack of knowledge....like people are saying one handed spears are useless pffff

Trying some Yogi...

Other then that you have some good points :smile:

Last edited:
they are tho
They are most def not and i have an series on youtube to show for it. My fav is two handed Axe berserker style but after trying out one handed spears (on foot to add) almost to the end they are now one of my top weapons of choice

They are most def not and i have an series on youtube to show for it
Share it then. One handed spears, or even just two handed spears for that matter have a super hard time actually putting up a decent counter against cavalry. I've only seen maybe Darkhans do decently, and that was before their change. For the most part however, spear men are not a reliable way to actually counter a determined cavalry charge, unless they outnumber them enough.

Oh and against horses you said ? :smile:

No you have better chance of catching em with spears then other weapons as well as keeping enemies at range which makes em perfect. Sure not as strong but still since you have range you dont need to worry so much about getting hit...Also keep in mind that some of these vids are early stages so the output of the weapons might not be showing what they really can do later on.

Also at first i was disappointed that the longer and better spears had lower stats in damage but then realized that they where really good when your stats went up anyways as your range really mattered...

Theres a lot more if you´re interested. Just check out the Achilles folder if you want to check out the progression of the one handed spear

Last edited:
I don't have time to see every last one of them, but I'm going to guess they're all of you stabbing people with spears. They're less ****ty in player hands of course, since you can take advantage of movement to actually add damage to spear thrusts. I was more talking about their use in the hands of AI. Considering they were the main battlefield infantry of the era, spearman are absolutely atrocious.

Yeah spears are very good, if you know how to use them. In my current playtrough im using 2hander, 1hander and a spear, and shield of course. And im using spear more often than sword. btw: @Dr-Shinobi what kind of spear that person has equipped on the video? id love to get my hands onnit.

Yeah spears are very good, if you know how to use them. In my current playtrough im using 2hander, 1hander and a spear, and shield of course. And im using spear more often than sword. btw: @Dr-Shinobi what kind of spear that person has equipped on the video? id love to get my hands onnit.

which one ? ^^ think i had different spears on different occations as the progression went on so idk hard to say at this point. Non where crafted that much i remembered :smile: I also just followed the tier line and went for the longer variants later since as said they are better when skills are going up even if stats dont show it on em, range is key if you can manage with agility in combination

Last edited:
I don't have time to see every last one of them, but I'm going to guess they're all of you stabbing people with spears. They're less ****ty in player hands of course, since you can take advantage of movement to actually add damage to spear thrusts. I was more talking about their use in the hands of AI. Considering they were the main battlefield infantry of the era, spearman are absolutely atrocious.

Nws just saying :smile: i thought they where weak to until i really tried em

Any weapon can be super powerful in the hands of a player against AI. Try use a spear in multiplayer and you'll see the issues with it almost immediately. Not sure how they'll manage to balance that whilst keeping it a fair weapon to use against AI aswell though.

Yep, its fun to actually unhorse cavalry men while on foot. I just wished my spearmen could actually do the same too.

but they do at times even if it happens that they may choose the wrong weapon at the wrong time but hey thats war

Any weapon can be super powerful in the hands of a player against AI. Try use a spear in multiplayer and you'll see the issues with it almost immediately. Not sure how they'll manage to balance that whilst keeping it a fair weapon to use against AI aswell though.
Strange because there where vids out there that said the spear was OP in mp because of its short stab ability but im not sure i hav´nt tried it out yet (mp that is) so cant make that judgement

Why bother to really balance against AI? Mounted Archery is easy mode, and the moment you acquire some sort of glaive you basically dominate all fights. I see no issue in giving the spear a little something.

Back
Top Bottom