Development Priorities

Users who are viewing this thread

Some of us don't like to just cheese things and want to use these mechanics without feeling like its cheating.
Yea I know and I don't prefer grind but as I said I understand, really. In current form it is not realistic. Imagine your blacksmith sells dozens of weapons and gives you 500-1k denars per day at most but, if you have mats and skill, you can craft a javelin worth 64k denars. It really needs balance. Since exploiters like me can exploit something else, fixing such unbalances doesn't bothers me, in fact I will be glad because more happy TW customers means clearer future for the game :smile:

I disagree with this, income generation is fine if you play appropriately (i refuse to smith).

By your post, it sounds like you're only playing the game a particular way. You don't act as a mercenary or join a faction until you've already built yourself a trade empire via caravans (because those things will destroy your caravans). That's severely limiting in the scope of gameplay and shouldn't be seen as the only 'appropriate' way to play it. If this game wants to let you act as lower nobility (which seems to be what the campaign is setting you up for in the beginning), you need to have reasonable sources of income available somehow that don't require a 15k investment and a massive risk of failure if you actually play the game. Workshop incomes really, really need to be improved on, and other sources of income need to be looked at.

By your post, it sounds like you're only playing the game a particular way. You don't act as a mercenary or join a faction until you've already built yourself a trade empire via caravans (because those things will destroy your caravans). That's severely limiting in the scope of gameplay and shouldn't be seen as the only 'appropriate' way to play it. If this game wants to let you act as lower nobility (which seems to be what the campaign is setting you up for in the beginning), you need to have reasonable sources of income available somehow that don't require a 15k investment and a massive risk of failure if you actually play the game. Workshop incomes really, really need to be improved on, and other sources of income need to be looked at.
No i do mercenary work from tier 2 to 3, then join a faction as a vassal from 3-4 to start gaining towns. I was merely talking about early game viability/survivability for caravans, you don't have to immediately start being a mercenary at tier 1. Fighting is always a way to stay profitable, but you live and die by the sword that way. I've done mercenary only runs and they often feel like the game Battle brothers, always on the edge of surviving financially, but that pressure can be fun. Workshops have already been said to be long term investments, while caravans are high risk high reward investments. Pick your posion.

I have discovered an efficient way to play the game without financial issues tho. It took a long time and many failed playthroughs trust me... 800 hours and I've only made it to kingdom status 6 times with no exploits/cheating. I'm just providing another example to compare to peoples complaints that income generation is too low.

Example:
sUag5.jpg

Last edited:
Idk I guess we just look at things differently. I like variety and I like the idea that the player can make the ideal army out of the best of the best, It always seemed to me to be the main thrust behind this game. It's to united the shattered empire and the best way to do that is to incorporate the best units that you can get to beat everyone else. As long as one faction isn't completely overpowered (Khurzait I'm looking at you) then I'm ok with strengths and weakness in factions.
I like variety too, but if all units could have merit then that would be best. I think strengths and weaknesses can still exist, just not through straight up inferior troops. Again refer to my '****ty archer' example.

And I still think that crafting an army out of the 'best of the best' is possible through the noble lines. Baring infantry, you can collect yourself the best archers, the best shock cavalry and the best horse archers. I don't support the idea of replacing Sturgia's noble cavalry with infantry, but I think it would be great if all noble trees got expansions. Something like...

Aserai: Vanguard Faris or some sort of elite skirmisher, maybe an assassin or even a merchant nafta thrower?
Battania: Fian Champion or Mormaer Heavy cavalry, that wa you can take the weak horseman line out and have common bowmen instead
Empire: Elite Cataphract or Praetorian Guard heavy spear infantry, maybe even call them the 'Echerian' Guard to reference that blog post.
Khuzait: Separate Khan's Guard into Khorchin (super horse archers with TWO quivers) and some sort of Bagatuur heavy cavalry with glaive and a bow, but far inferior bow skill.
Sturgia: Druzhinnik Champion and move the Berserker line here. Now you can go crazy with their stats and give them actual armour. Let these guys just be absolute killing machines.
Vlandia: Banner Knight and an elite crossbow hunting noble. Maybe give them a boar hunting spear to make them capable of telling cavalry to back off.

With this sort of line up, you've got the option of a 'supplement' unit that can shore up faction needs in a limited way, and then a unit that truly embodies what the faction is all about. Capture enough bandits and turn them into nobles, and now you've got your pick for the best army around.

High tier armors are also being looked at as far as I know but I am afraid I won't be able to give many details in it because I am not working on that personally.

Larger changes will always be on beta. The cases that we can solve internally is so to say changing a weapon on troop and seeing how he fares against a certain faction or making a unit move a little faster et cetera. Such things we can always see through countless simulations and trials. Same things go with some economy changes and tryouts. Before sending those to steam beta, we have to make sure that there is a solid foundation to talk about and have a constructive conversation with. What we change always goes to the community for testing but only after it is worth speaking of :smile:

@Signalize
Hello! Could you please inform me if more and new heavy armor styles will be added to the game? Like new armors, heavy shoulder armors, new helmets , etc? Thanks in advance...

You know I never have a problem fighitng the crazy horse dudes.....cause I try not to fight them in open fields. I will take my heavy Cav and catch there light cav/archers in a forste or drive them towards the creek or up a mountian side where they loose there advantage. I never push into there plains to give them that advantage without a properly strong army first. Ya'll need to start fighitng smarting and not hitting F1F3 every battle. And I'm doing this as both Brit and Sturg's as my main army.. It's the same with archers, flank them and shatter them and they won't be a problem.

Aserai: Vanguard Faris or some sort of elite skirmisher, maybe an assassin or even a merchant nafta thrower?
Battania: Fian Champion or Mormaer Heavy cavalry, that wa you can take the weak horseman line out and have common bowmen instead
Empire: Elite Cataphract or Praetorian Guard heavy spear infantry, maybe even call them the 'Echerian' Guard to reference that blog post.
Khuzait: Separate Khan's Guard into Khorchin (super horse archers with TWO quivers) and some sort of Bagatuur heavy cavalry with glaive and a bow, but far inferior bow skill.
Sturgia: Druzhinnik Champion and move the Berserker line here. Now you can go crazy with their stats and give them actual armour. Let these guys just be absolute killing machines.
Vlandia: Banner Knight and an elite crossbow hunting noble. Maybe give them a boar hunting spear to make them capable of telling cavalry to back off.

beign noblemen, all noble troops would be mounted troops. IMO, all noble troops are mostly fine as they are now with only minor tweakign necessary, while battanians should get a horsman armed with a two hander and maybe javelins or backup one handed weapon & shield.

Many thanks to Signalize and all involved in this thread, a lot of constructive discussion to be had on these topics. I'll echo the comments of Olympeus, which I find to be utterly on-point.

Archers (bowmen specifically). Foot archers are definitely too strong in my experience, and based on the feedback in this forum so are horse archers. I personally limit my use of foot archers because they are too good, and make the game too easy and less engaging on even the hardest settings. Some ideas in no particular order:
  • Improved enemy AI. Making changes to how the enemy AI deals with the players archers will greatly affect their utility. I'm sure people much smarter than me are working on this and can figure out what is practical & possible so I won't waste time with my suggestions.
  • Re-balance their melee skills. A cursory examination of the archers melee combat skills and athletics skills will tell you these are on par with their infantry counterparts. Why does a Tier 1-6 Archer have the same combat ability as their Tier 1-6 Infantry counterpart? Fight an archer in the Arena and watch them be a bad ass with all variety of equipment. It makes no sense. As a general rule Tier 6 archers should have no more than 30 in any melee combat skill and lower Tier archers should just have 0 skill in melee. Every archer being able to go toe-to-toe with an Imperial Elite Menavliaton is silly.
  • Re-balance their athletics and equipped armor. Archers should have 50 athletics and if they are given heavy armor (which they should not have) they will move like a turtle. If Archers are given a higher athletics score, it should first and foremost still be significantly lower than the infantry, but coupled with much lighter armor their movement speed will still be higher than the infantry. All Archers, especially the Tier 6, should have their armor removed and replaced with much lower armor values. The units that should rarely die to arrow fire are heavy infantry/cavalry. The units that should always die to arrow fire are the archers and to a lesser degree lighter infantry and light cavalry and their mounts. Currently archer on archer battles with the AI result in 0 casualties for the player because the Tier 6 archers are so heavily armored. Archer on Archer battles should ALWAYS result in heavy casualties with winner being decided by the unit with 1) better range 2) better bow skill 3) higher rate of fire. Crossbowmen can be the exception to the armor and melee combat rules to some degree as they are expected to only fire 1-2 volleys before the infantry close and they are in hand-to-hand combat. A bowmen should be able to empty their quiver before the Infantry close and then their only defense is to run.

Foot Archers are absolutely dominant in the game's current meta as a result of their exceptional damage and passable performance in melee. For any faction, you can make 100% archer armies (don't even have to be top-tier) and demolish any balanced, equivalent-strength opposing AI army. This has been fully tested by your playerbase already, trust us. I've played endgame armies of every faction, as have many, many of the regulars on these forums - it's a great game, we've played it a lot! Archer effectiveness, relative to melee, is just too damn high.

Olympeus' first point here is correct: better AI can reduce the relative potency of archers in Bannerlord's battles. But I classify that as one of the tougher goals - building better AI modules is not a quick fix, and I really think the playerbase would appreciate a prioritisation of impactful quick fixes while you work on longer-gestation projects like AI. So I still urge the developers to nerf archer damage (and increase ammunition) so balanced compositions can have a place in the current incarnation of the game.

Please also note: the armour and melee capabilities of some archers (e.g. Vlandian Sharpshooters) is so high, they're practically a functional frontline. A lot of the gear/troop stat changes we seek do not require slow, cautious fine-tuning by the devs because some of the current values are painfully far from correct. Why does a T4 Sturgian Spearman have worse body armour and head armour than a T3 Sturgian Soldier? We don't need the dev team to identify the perfect piece for that unit; we just need the basic progression paths to make sense, which is a much smaller ask. With their high Athletics, it's conceivable to run a 100% archer army, split it into 2 (or more) and just kite the enemy infantry blob till it's all dead. That is my gripe: it should not be strong, let alone a dominant strategy, to run a 100% archer army, yet it is. There needs to be a drawback.

As a reminder of how influential archers should be to warfare of the era, take the Battle of Crecy. English forces:
6000 infantry
5000 longbowmen
3000 hobelars (light cavalry / mounted archers)
So, a 36% ratio of foot archers in one of the most notable displays of medieval ranged dominance. All I'm asking, for the good of the game's balance and historicity: 80%-100% massed archer armies should not be a smart thing to do.

Faction Troop Strength. There is a forum post that discusses Faction Troop Treesand has many thoughts including my own. I think the troop tree for every faction would feel much more diverse if every faction didn't have access to a Tier 6 of of every troop type. Give every faction 1 troop type that goes to Tier 7 and is better than any other faction's version of that troop and then give every faction 1 or 2 troop weaknesses and cap those troops at Tier 2 or 3. The rest of the troops would be Tier 5. For example:
  • Sturgia: Tier 7 Infantry and Tier 2 archers.
  • Battania: Tier 7 Bowmen and Tier 2 cavalry.
  • Khuzait: Tier 7 Horse Archers and Tier 2 infantry.
  • Aserai: Tier 7 missile cavalry and Tier 2 something else.

This is close to my thinking when I say extremising faction strengths and weaknesses. Even if it's milder - just a very potent T6 for strengths, and a troop tree clipped at T4 for weaknesses - that already would force players to contemplate how best to play each faction, and may spawn further discussion about the game's faction balance and how to introduce meaningful (rather than largely cosmetic) replayability via the faction system. Right now, that isn't even a consideration because no one really needs to do anything but train archers and horse archers.

Last edited:
Please also note: the armour and melee capabilities of some archers (e.g. Vlandian Sharpshooters) is so high, they're practically a functional frontline. A lot of the gear/troop stat changes we seek do not require careful, cautious fine-tuning by the devs because some of the current values are painfully far from correct. Without a material nerf to Athletics, it is trivial to take a 100% archer army, split it into 2 (or more) and just kite the enemy infantry blob till it's all dead. That is my gripe: it should not be strong, let alone overwhelmingly dominant, to run a 100% archer army, yet it is. There needs to be a drawback.

In my testing, Athletics and melee weapon skill were mostly irrelevant. Even when they managed to get close, infantry lost in the melee because they were outnumbered and numbers count for more than skill. Splitting archers into two groups was very effective at nullifying any shield use, assuming they were positioned with a clear line of fire, since troops drop their shields while attacking.

As a reminder of how influential archers should be to warfare of the era, take the Battle of Crecy. English forces:
6000 infantry
5000 longbowmen
3000 hobelars (light cavalry / mounted archers)
So, a 36% ratio of foot archers in one of the most notable displays of medieval ranged dominance. All I'm asking, for the good of the game's balance and historicity: 80%-100% massed archer armies should not be a smart thing to do.

The English at Agincourt were about 80% longbowmen.

Last edited:
beign noblemen, all noble troops would be mounted troops. IMO, all noble troops are mostly fine as they are now with only minor tweakign necessary, while battanians should get a horsman armed with a two hander and maybe javelins or backup one handed weapon & shield.
I suppose, but I think it would be more fun to have extra variety. Making all nobles into horsemen would be pragmatic but kind of boring. And I'm really attached to the Fian Champion as an idea.

But besides that, Calradia is a fictional setting. We are aware of real life nobles that prefer to fight on foot, so why not let that be the case here?

If we do consider your suggestion, I think two handers on horses might be a bit wacky, considering how strong they end up being. I'd actually consider Khan's Guard the best shock cavalry by virtue of their glaives.

This is close to my thinking when I say extremising faction strengths and weaknesses. Even if it's milder - just a very potent T6 for strengths, and a troop tree clipped at T4 for weaknesses - that already would force players to contemplate how best to play each faction, and may spawn further meaningful discussion about the game's faction balance and how to introduce meaningful (rather than largely cosmetic) replayability via the faction system. Right now, that isn't even a consideration because no one really needs to do anything but train archers and horse archers.
Eh, if you don't at least make those t4 troops better than the t4 troops that can progress to t5, there's very little reason to ever use them. If they do get better skills or above average equipment though, they'd make a great budget force. Not the best, but they'll give you more than their money's worth.

Still, I don't really think its needed, and I think TW has moved away from that design. While its a shame that the costs of a unit as well as their maximum potential is no longer a consideration, I think there is still room for other factors. Again, take your legionary and your Aserai veteran infantry. The legionary will have superior armour over the veteran infantry, while the veteran infantry is far more versatile in weaponry. Its still clear that the legionary will be the superior heavy infantry unit, and its clear that you can't really rely on the veteran infantry as a core, but at least they have their niches.

I actually want lopsided compositions to be viable if you're playing to a faction's strengths (e.g., running a very ranged composition as Battania, or a heavy infantry focus as Sturgia). I question being so effective running 80-100% Vlandian crossbows as Vlandia. Every faction is currently best played with a focus on ranged firepower to the exclusion of all else, and that's a problem perhaps worth prioritising. It's definitely poor game balance (unquestionable) and historicity (debatable, but I'd contend that with Bannerlord's meta, the English at Agincourt wouldn't have even bothered to bring 20% men-at-arms :smile:).

Last edited:

Forgive my understanding of History in these regards as it is quite bad -but wasnt this circa basically the end of Knights as the ranged longbowman became dominant on the battlefield? Isnt this game supposed to represent hundreds of years before this ranged revolution?

I suppose, but I think it would be more fun to have extra variety. Making all nobles into horsemen would be pragmatic but kind of boring. And I'm really attached to the Fian Champion as an idea.

But besides that, Calradia is a fictional setting. We are aware of real life nobles that prefer to fight on foot, so why not let that be the case here?

If we do consider your suggestion, I think two handers on horses might be a bit wacky, considering how strong they end up being. I'd actually consider Khan's Guard the best shock cavalry by virtue of their glaives.

no one says the fian champions need to go. they would only be moved to the regular tree and make them more common, especially in AI armies. they would only lose their tier 6 upgrade. also, cataphracts should be the best shock cavalry in the game, which they are definitely not right now, but no one seems to be bothered by that.

Forgive my understanding of History in these regards as it is quite bad -but wasnt this circa basically the end of Knights as the ranged longbowman became dominant on the battlefield? Isnt this game supposed to represent hundreds of years before this ranged revolution?

It wasn't the end. Knights -- or rather, heavily armored cavalry -- continued to exist for another hundred and fifty years as a decisive battlefield arm. But you're right that the game's timeline comes before the longbow's popularity by about two hundred years.

I actually want lopsided compositions to be viable if you're playing to a faction's strengths (e.g., running a very ranged composition as Battania, or a heavy infantry focus as Sturgia). I question being so effective running 80-100% Vlandian crossbows as Vlandia. Every faction is currently best played with a focus on ranged firepower to the exclusion of all else, and that's a problem perhaps worth prioritising. It's definitely poor game balance (unquestionable) and historicity (debatable, but I'd contend that with Bannerlord's meta, the English at Agincourt wouldn't have even bothered to bring 20% men-at-arms :smile:).

Lopsided compositions of melee infantry are already viable across every faction, except perhaps Aserai, it just doesn't feel good knowing that battles where you sweat to win, archers and horse archers can dumpster the enemy without a single loss. I just brought up Agincourt because someone else would if I hadn't.

Anyway, I'm not sure Vlandian crossbows would be as effective as every other faction's archers but you're not wrong. The underlying issue is that if you give a bow enough damage for people to have fun with as players, in the hands of large numbers of AI -- even when somewhat slower, weaker, less accurate and shorter ranged -- it becomes far too lethal for period tactics to make sense, almost like late pike-and-shot era compositions with lots of ranged firepower, some infantry to keep them safe and enough cavalry to secure the flanks or chase down routing enemies.

But taking away the damage -- either in general (not a good idea) or against heavy armor -- leaves the issue that ranged units suddenly have no role on the battlefield in Bannerlord. And it is hard to strike the right balance because variation in party size and enemy composition play a huge role in their performance. Fixing things so the player's archers don't outperform everything else makes the AI's archers trivial to overcome. The morale impact of being hit from range with arrows is not apparent -- units only start to break once they die in job lots and not before.

Full Vlandian crossbows are extremely potent - their significant range advantage means they can force the enemy to run from a greater distance and buy more time to notch their kills, partially offsetting their longer reload times, and their point-blank firepower is exceptional. I've run armies of full Vlandian crossbows and if anything it required even less gameplay than full Aserai Master Archers.

There is no faction for which a lopsided melee composition is a better idea than a lopsided ranged composition, assuming even elementary tactics are used (e.g. using your infantry to tie up enemy infantry while the ranged do the work). That is a shortcoming in the game's current meta, and I ardently dispute the notion that it is hard to strike a better balance than what we have now. The patch cycles can and should be used precisely to help iterate towards that balance; presently the archer dominance isn't even being flagged up as a problem.

We can all agree that pure melee compositions force you to sweat and lose troops (maybe even lose a battle!) whereas pure archer comps of any faction destroy enemy forces, often without a loss. That's a clear imbalance that limits the merits of the game's tactical layer, I can't put it any simpler than that. I suspect every regular player sees this for what it is. I've been here before, 3 months ago when I tried to politely explain in multiple threads that Khuzait dominance was an issue and that their culture bonus and unit roster fuelled the snowballing.

Fast forward 3 months and we now collectively, devs included, accept Khuzait OPness as a problem. I dearly hope it won't take 3 months for the dev team to recognise archer dominance as a problem. I can only trust in their ability to critically evaluate player feedback on these forums, which to their credit they do read, and act accordingly. Not keen to engage in forum back-and-forths, it merely muddied what should've been clear waters last time. I've said my piece.

Last edited:
no one says the fian champions need to go. they would only be moved to the regular tree and make them more common, especially in AI armies. they would only lose their tier 6 upgrade. also, cataphracts should be the best shock cavalry in the game, which they are definitely not right now, but no one seems to be bothered by that.
Why should they be moved to the regular tree, though? People want variety and different characters to armies - if Battania is supposed to be an archery-based culture and we want more archers in AI armies, it would be more logical to give them another (regular) archer option, than take away the noble archers.

Why should they be moved to the regular tree, though? People want variety and different characters to armies - if Battania is supposed to be an archery-based culture and we want more archers in AI armies, it would be more logical to give them another (regular) archer option, than take away the noble archers.

well pretty much exactly for the reasons you mentioned. battanian AI parties have little to no archers but a ****ton of horsemen, runnign counter to the general idea of the faction. swapping the archer line with the horseman line would solve both problems at once.

The underlying issue is that if you give a bow enough damage for people to have fun with as players, in the hands of large numbers of AI -- even when somewhat slower, weaker, less accurate and shorter ranged -- it becomes far too lethal for period tactics to make sense, almost like late pike-and-shot era compositions with lots of ranged firepower, some infantry to keep them safe and enough cavalry to secure the flanks or chase down routing enemies.

But taking away the damage -- either in general (not a good idea) or against heavy armor -- leaves the issue that ranged units suddenly have no role on the battlefield in Bannerlord. And it is hard to strike the right balance because variation in party size and enemy composition play a huge role in their performance. Fixing things so the player's archers don't outperform everything else makes the AI's archers trivial to overcome. The morale impact of being hit from range with arrows is not apparent -- units only start to break once they die in job lots and not before.

The power draw mechanics took care of that in Warband though. Low level archers couldn't even scratch decently armored troops, while they became relevant at higher levels. And it also introduced a variation between bows and crossbows, in the fact that crossbows were more effective at low levels but would become arguably underpowered at high skill levels. It wasn't a perfect system, but I think that it had flavor and I enjoyed it. Here instead troops skill don't seem to matter all that much, and so the issue that you mention arises.

And just to clarify, I would be ok with high level archers being a bit OP myself. AI wouldn't have huge numbers of them, and the player would have to pay high wages to keep a stack of elites (and honestly one could make archers wages say 1.5 the wages for melee troops if needed). I take issue with the fact that lower tier troops are already dominating while melee troops will occasionally die to looters though.

Back
Top Bottom