Dev Blog 17/01/20

Lightning12

Sergeant
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
A good start for the new forum. Current ideas. I'll give feedback on Wednesday after seeing what's new. I'm excited for the media and Streams sections of the new form.
 

LK_Hemsworth

Knight
Best answers
0
Evvv said:
NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL said:
Absolutely not. If you can't articulate why you agree or disagree with a post in text, you shouldn't be allowed to influence the discussion from the sidelines by upvoting a post you like. Nothing is worse than seeing something which is completely wrong or outright misleading getting upvoted on social media or reddit or whatever, but people who are just reading the thread to get informed will automatically look for the most upvoted post to find the "correct" opinion on something.

Please don't turn this site into the paradox forums.
 

Piconi

Count
WBM&BWF&SVCNW
Best answers
0
sankokuworld said:
The only people being affected by a downvotes I seen are unfunny people that think a jojo reference in 2020 is funny or right wing trolls trying to say <racial slurs> or calling someone a libtard.
You mean people like this ?

sankokuworld said:
133 people that want teams wearing barf as banners are retarded ?????????
It's 153 at the moment
 
Best answers
0
Got to agree with the sentiment against upvoting, or however you want to call it. If the opinion on something is really needed, then you put it up for vote, then your anonymous heroes of the forums can express their feelings, no need to allow it for every little thing.

Also, nothing showed up on the secret GMK sub-forum, I hope that we'll have something there soon.
 

Rackie

Regular
WF&S
Best answers
0
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
vicwiz007 said:
So the new modding thing will be like ModDB but M&B only? That's cool but now they'll be even more scattered, between steam workshop, ModDB and here.
It's more like it's own separate forum right now, for lack of a better way to describe it, although we are totally open to ideas of how we can expand upon and improve it!
There already were some people posting on these forums, but for most people it was a bit messy and hard to find stuff, especially if you dont know what you're looking for (because of no filters). I think that since we will get modding tab as a dedicated webpage it will make things better and there will be no point in posting Bannerlord mods in Moddb.

Actually when I think about it, there is barely a point to that either aince I guess everybody will have the game on steam? Or will it be the same as previous titles, that it can be activated both on steam and without?
 

Moton

Recruit
Best answers
0
Love the modding hub and how much love you guys give to the modding community! Unlike some other developers, not gonna point any fingers but most probably know.
 

Younes123

Muted
WBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
I think sankoku didn't browse these forums enough. It has a ton of things ismilar to reddit with the main page having sections, and even more sub sections that work in the same way as subreddits. I don't know why he is trying to argue.
 

Memoefe

Sergeant at Arms
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
vicwiz007 said:
So the new modding thing will be like ModDB but M&B only? That's cool but now they'll be even more scattered, between steam workshop, ModDB and here.
It's more like it's own separate forum right now, for lack of a better way to describe it, although we are totally open to ideas of how we can expand upon and improve it!
Maybe this modding page could be entegrated with steam wotkshop or modDB? Or when someone add a mod to forum they could be offered to post on other platforms too.
 

John the Roleplayer

Sergeant Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
I can understand some of the apprehensions in regards to reactions to posts, they do indeed not do much good on some other sites.

However, I think it's a good thing to allow supporting views or ideas expressed in posts that you have nothing to add to. That doesn't mean that you can't form, phrase and type a coherent, understandable point, it might just mean that the post you support has said all that needed be said. I'd like to think that I can express myself reasonably well, but I usually don't make a point, if someone has already made it. Supporting such a post could still be beneficial, to encourage the person making it, and show that their views are being heard, and in matters of feedback to Taleworlds, to somewhat quantify it. And while that very effect could be seen as harmful if it applies to extremist or just silly views, we'll still have moderation to uphold the forum rules, and we should trust that the Mount & Blade community will do better than that.
 

Gab

Marquis
Best answers
0
John the Roleplayer said:
I can understand some of the apprehensions in regards to reactions to posts, they do indeed not do much good on some other sites.

However, I think it's a good thing to allow supporting views or ideas expressed in posts that you have nothing to add to. That doesn't mean that you can't form, phrase and type a coherent, understandable point, it might just mean that the post you support has said all that needed be said. I'd like to think that I can express myself reasonably well, but I usually don't make a point, if someone has already made it. Supporting such a post could still be beneficial, to encourage the person making it, and show that their views are being heard, and in matters of feedback to Taleworlds, to somewhat quantify it. And while that very effect could be seen as harmful if it applies to extremist or just silly views, we'll still have moderation to uphold the forum rules, and we should trust that the Mount & Blade community will do better than that.
I was going to say the same thing (I would've liked your post for instance). I completely understand the concerns towards this feature, but it happened countless times particularly in the beta board that someone already said everything I had to say, so I had nothing to add and didn't want to bother cluttering the thread with a simple "+1" post. I don't think it's really necessary, mind you, but in these situations reactions would certainly come in handy. Perhaps limiting reactions to a simple "like" would prevent people from using, say, funny reactions to ridicule a post and discourage users from continuing a conversation. Nevertheless, surely there will be attention-seeking people trying to post whatever gets them the most likes, at the same time that already happens to some extent, so I'm not sure if there would be a massive difference, but perhaps I'm wrong. We'll see how it goes, in the end as Delinard said nothing is set in stone yet.
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Best answers
9
upvoting is fine, as long the forum doesnt promote karma farming (users have a karma score). Otherwise it just ends with a bunch of spam and copy/paste and reposts for karma points, which will give extra work for the moderators.

stackoverflow is a good example and it seems like the modding section will have similar features, which is a positive thingy for modders. Tags, unsolved/solved, best answer, etc.
 

Reus

Sloppy Dabber
Global Moderator
M&BWBNWWF&SVC
Best answers
0
Rackie said:
There already were some people posting on these forums, but for most people it was a bit messy and hard to find stuff, especially if you dont know what you're looking for (because of no filters). I think that since we will get modding tab as a dedicated webpage it will make things better and there will be no point in posting Bannerlord mods in Moddb.

Actually when I think about it, there is barely a point to that either aince I guess everybody will have the game on steam? Or will it be the same as previous titles, that it can be activated both on steam and without?
There will always be a reason to post mods to ModDB and Nexus, as they offer a greater outreach as well as a ton of functionality that you won't find on a forum. These sites even beat Steam in several aspects, as the Workshop is particularly limited functionality-wise compared with them. As an example, the Workshop immediately pushes mod updates directly to the user, causing incompatibilities with their current save games, while other sites allow you to read through the changelog before deciding if you want to give up your current playthrough in order to update the mod. ModDB and Nexus also allow you to upload hotfixes and optional changes separately from the main mod file. Additionally, these sites offer a lot more page customization than the Workshop does, and on the Workshop only one team member can actually edit the little customization it has. I can go on, but it's somewhat unrelated, now that I think about it.

The new modding page on the forums isn't exactly supposed to replace or compete with these sites, but rather improve the current modding section and give its community more space to work with, as it will have a dedicated page. For the time being, it also seems to be more geared towards expanding the Forge aspect of the section, but as Callum mentioned, they are open to ideas.
 

Callum

Community Manager
Best answers
0
Terco_Viejo said:
Haha. Nope, it isn't, and it isn't even labelled as such. Clearly called developer blogs and shared here in a section called "The Developers' Blog". We could write about our top 10 favourite kinds of cheese and it would still be technically correct.  :wink:

Jokes aside, if you read the blog, or at least the first couple of paragraphs, you can see why we feel this is directly related to the game. We want to provide our community with a platform that enhances their Mount & Blade experience in a number of different ways (finding and sharing content, discussing our games, finding friends to play with, organising and taking part in events, etc.)