Dev Blog 12/04/18

Users who are viewing this thread

[parsehtml][IMG]https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_35_taleworldswebsite.jpg[/IMG] If you have been following these weekly updates for some time now, you will know that our aim for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord isn’t just to provide players with bigger, more epic battles, but also to refine existing mechanics from the series and add small details to the game to make it feel more believable and immersive. In this week’s blog, we want to show you another example of how we try to pay close attention to small details by introducing you to a feature which probably won’t catch your eye immediately while playing, but is something which we feel adds to the overall visual fidelity of the game. [/parsehtml]Read more at: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/55

Anyone else only just noticing Humphrey in the background of the front-facing picture looking like he's stalking the guy?

Lamias said:
Gods... It's like they want us to make fun of them...

Scabbards?? Really??? What's next? "Sleeves", or "look at the new, brighter sun", or "we added OXYGEN in the battlefields". Come on...

TW is slowly realizing their blogs are pointless, so they started putting in disclaimers!! "We know we got nothing, we just wanna fool you for another week". And yes, they made it through another week.

Meanwhile they are dead silent about campaign map features, they won't go to E3 and they are developing a game for the past 7 years and all they have to show for it are "scabbards" and "slightly different shield physics". Oh oh, and the """crime system""".

In 2018 things like "scabbards" shouldn't even be mentioned. Anyone played the Witcher 3? Go see how Geralt gets his sword out of the scabbard. Simple and yet amazing, no other game has done it. Did they go broadcasting it on the internet as if they had proved string theory? Maybe they should have, maybe that's what todays gamers want from their games.

Realistic scabbards that need a blog entry. How much lower, TW?
why here if you get so triggered?ur not forced to read the blogs

Mace of Boldva said:
Greetings!

Does anyone know (especially someone from Tale Worlds), if there is any chance in M&B Bannerlord to fight with 2 one-handed swords? (You switch your shield for a sword). My imagination says that it is possible to do such things, but I've never read about it and don't know if the developers are planning to do sth like that.

This is aquestion being asked plenty of times with no answer. I myself dont really want it in the native game, but I would love official support for that, for then to be used for both Fantasy and most important Star Wars mods :grin:

Hannibal Barca said:
I have been wondering if you show the actual amount of arrows in the quiver?

Its a small thing, but maybe it could be important for MP, when you know your opponent is low on arrows and you dont have to zig zag :wink:

Also looking forward to a new look on the campaign map, and a confirmation on the "killing lords & children inheritance" thing, thats been popping up from time to time. :ohdear: :party:

I would love to see atleast empty, little and full versions of arrows in quivers.
Killing lords is comfirmed, its not a rumor :smile:
Children in the other hand, havent been mentioned at all, and while it may come in the final game, I dont believe so, and dont want it much either really

Mace of Boldva said:
Greetings!

Does anyone know (especially someone from Tale Worlds), if there is any chance in M&B Bannerlord to fight with 2 one-handed swords? (You switch your shield for a sword). My imagination says that it is possible to do such things, but I've never read about it and don't know if the developers are planning to do sth like that.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,374960.0.html
If you want to debate dual wielding, this is the topic.

Cale said:
The Easy nine said:
Madijeis said:
Just your regular longsword sir.

No, that is a Greatsword
A longsword is shorter, worn at the hip and did not appear until the 13th or 14th century

And at last, if you have mail coifs (and I see no reason why you should not) please make them proper. They should cover the chin, not hang off it. It looks stupid when they do.

This is bullcrap:
mail-coif-aluminium-riveted-id-10mm-31816-p.png

This is proper (and sexy):
b133b9009b856b9b8765b380f48800b0--larp-armor-medieval-armor.jpg

Actually, the term longsword in Medieval contexts refers to a longer-grip for two handed use. Most of what you see in medieval manuals deals with using these swords (half-swording etc as well). What you're describing is mostly an Arming Sword or Knightly Sword.

'Great Swords' where that is a term would mostly be applied to the frankly ridiculous swords you start to get as Pike-Blocks become more of a standard tactic so your Zweihanders, Claymores and Flamberges etc.

Longsword in terms of a one handed weapon is mostly a invention of Mr Gygax along with Chainmail rather then Chain or Maille.

Also coifs were open below the chin, they would have been slightly tighter to the neck then is usually seen nowadays but a ventail would be used to cover the lower face when required (basically a square of mail with a leather backing that could be tied up like a surgical mask.
I''d agree but to be honest the sword on his back is squarely in frankly ridiculous territory...

SenorZorros said:
I''d agree but to be honest the sword on his back is squarely in frankly ridiculous territory...

It's a bit big, but it isn't going to the floor so it's not the same size as the man at least and is relatively thin. I'm willing to hand wave it personally since the developers already said their whole inclusion was a hand wave in the first place.

Rackie said:

It's not about me and if I read the blogs or not. The fact is, regardless of me reading them, TW is making fun of us. It's more straightforward to come out and say "you know what, we got nothing, let us get back to you in a couple of years", than feeding us with pointless information. Like anyone here will care about how scabbards move....

But you are aware that you posted this in the same thread in which people praised it as a small but valuable addition from immersion standpoint? I think it's safe to say that someone here does care.

Rackie said:
Dazzer said:
Rackie said:
Dazzer said:
Interesting, I'm really curious in the way recruitment will work though. Any chance we will get a devblog about that sometime too?
Maybe it was already covered somewhere, but I haven't noticed

Really? You know nothing? I mean, we havent got much detail, but there is a really old blog about it(and other things), and also a video.
Basically, you can recruit troops from other lords, given that you are in their faction and have good relation
Yeah I havent read those old blogs. Do you have a link to the blog by chance?

Do I look like some kind of an errand boy to you?
To lazy to search it up ya'self, eh?

Anyways, this is basically it
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/17

I may have given you some false info, if thats the case, dont get mad :smile:
All it says is we can recruit soldiers from some NPC's in towns. Therefore a devblog dedicated entirely to recruitment would still be quite welcome

U didn't read carefully friend. I said no one "WILL" care.

Of course everybody cares now. Everyone is drooling over the slightest information because they don't want to admit that TW has failed them. So everything they give u, u swallow it with pleasure.

However when the game is released, I am absolute confident that no one will pay attention to the scabbards and the shield physics for more than 2-3 battles. After that they won't care. That's when they will want real features, and as it appears, Bannerlord won't be able to deliver.

Remember your favorite games. I bet that not once did you say "well, this game is shallow on features, but hey, my character's pants look cool. I will devote at least 50 hours watching the physics of those pants". No.

And don't get me wrong. Those additions are very valuable concerning immersion. But they should not be offered instead of real features, they should be offered alongside them. :sad:

Cale said:
Actually, the term longsword in Medieval contexts refers to a longer-grip for two handed use. Most of what you see in medieval manuals deals with using these swords (half-swording etc as well). What you're describing is mostly an Arming Sword or Knightly Sword.

'Great Swords' where that is a term would mostly be applied to the frankly ridiculous swords you start to get as Pike-Blocks become more of a standard tactic so your Zweihanders, Claymores and Flamberges etc.

Longsword in terms of a one handed weapon is mostly a invention of Mr Gygax along with Chainmail rather then Chain or Maille.

I know what a longsword is thank you. A longsword is a two-handed weapon most commonly utilized by knights, especially gaining popularity in the late 14th century with the advent of plate armor. It still went on the hip, because they weren't that long
They're not greatswords. Granted, that one in the game is made up but greatswords did exist far before the 16th century, for example in the shape of a Claymore or the Dacian Falx.

Cale said:
Also coifs were open below the chin, they would have been slightly tighter to the neck then is usually seen nowadays but a ventail would be used to cover the lower face when required (basically a square of mail with a leather backing that could be tied up like a surgical mask.

Yes, I know that. But the mail coif under the ventail would still generally be tapered to the neck, and not left hanging. Sometimes lacing was used to tie the mail tighter around the neck, sometimes it was made differently. Never left open like that.

Do not look here said:
But you are aware that you posted this in the same thread in which people praised it as a small but valuable addition from immersion standpoint? I think it's safe to say that someone here does care.
Could not agree more! And I do like the blogs, all of them, very much! Thank you TW and Callum for having institutionalised these. It is something I genuinely look forward to every week!

Lamias said:
Rackie said:

It's not about me and if I read the blogs or not. The fact is, regardless of me reading them, TW is making fun of us. It's more straightforward to come out and say "you know what, we got nothing, let us get back to you in a couple of years", than feeding us with pointless information. Like anyone here will care about how scabbards move....

I liked the blog. Its nice to get a few minutes of material about my favourite upcoming game every week. Honestly its not that big of a deal, you need other diversions in life if this is triggering you so much.

We’ll see more when they’re ready to share it, you aren’t obligated to read the blogs. Take a break and come back in a few weeks, maybe they’ll have something you like. The blogs aren’t going anywhere and it does you no good to read them, at least not until release is around the corner.

Cale said:
SenorZorros said:

It's a bit big, but it isn't going to the floor so it's not the same size as the man at least and is relatively thin. I'm willing to hand wave it personally since the developers already said their whole inclusion was a hand wave in the first place.
I have no problems with their implementation I'm just nitpicking classification. so...
according to Wikipedia longsword were 100-130 cm long. the sword is about 0,80 of the person. assuming the person is 160cm-170cm the sword would be  about or slightly above 130 cm which would be the upper echelon.
Then again, you could still wear such a sword on your belt though it would be at quite an angle. with the 130 cm sword assuming it would be held 80 cm above ground it would stick out about 1m horizontally which is cubersome but still wearable and a lot easier to draw than a back-mounted sword. In my opinion it also looks better and cooler because back-scabbards are quite... dorky. Like someone who wants to be cool but doesn't know style. But that's my opinion and not something I find worth fighting about.

still, I'd love to see the character fumble for a minute trying to get it out but that would just be spiteful...

Lamias said:
Gods... It's like they want us to make fun of them...

Scabbards?? Really??? What's next? "Sleeves", or "look at the new, brighter sun", or "we added OXYGEN in the battlefields". Come on...

TW is slowly realizing their blogs are pointless, so they started putting in disclaimers!! "We know we got nothing, we just wanna fool you for another week". And yes, they made it through another week.

Meanwhile they are dead silent about campaign map features, they won't go to E3 and they are developing a game for the past 7 years and all they have to show for it are "scabbards" and "slightly different shield physics". Oh oh, and the """crime system""".

In 2018 things like "scabbards" shouldn't even be mentioned. Anyone played the Witcher 3? Go see how Geralt gets his sword out of the scabbard. Simple and yet amazing, no other game has done it. Did they go broadcasting it on the internet as if they had proved string theory? Maybe they should have, maybe that's what todays gamers want from their games.

Realistic scabbards that need a blog entry. How much lower, TW?

I agree with you in everything you have wrote..

I'm beggining to think they don't show us anything "big" because they don't have it. I agree with other users above, if things have down turned and we will have to wait for a long time too, at least they should be clear and say this out loud instead of putting false hope in us.

Point of the blogs is not to explain every game component, it is  mainly to show devs care and work.  Suprise and ingame exploring is more valuable, would you like to play a game that you know everything about?
Other than that, irony is no one will care about your whining when the game is out. Devs will care about feedbacks, comments; modders will remember ideas but no one will care about "TW is wrong i solved all the PR mystery" comments.

Lamias said:
At this point I'll just repeat what people said when the inverse kinematics were discussed on shields - yes, it is a minor change you'll quickly forget about after few battles. But if game was to suddenly lose it, you'd notice for sure.

As for the dev blogs, which we were told would only be small glimpses into the game and team behind it, being curiosities rather than big reveals... well, yeah. Revealing all the major selling points now that they have no product to sell would just make future marketing campaign old news. I don't expect super-exciting dev blogs until we'll get release date, but I enjoy the little things nonetheless for now.

Back
Top Bottom